"Big" bands you've opened for that turned out to be penises

As much as I hate this, sometimes it just has to happen. I've done it, I've had it done to my bands, oh well. A lot of times I want to stick around for all the bands but even if we're playing locally, it'll be at least a 30 minute ride home....not counting if we're unloading the gear back at the jam space. I feel bad if I leave before other bands play but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

This. Our drummer normally has to work really early on the day following our shows. If we stay for the entire show, we typically don't get finished unloading, etc. until 3am in the morning, which gives him only 2 hours of sleep. It sucks but it's the way of things sometimes.

Dude I think that was probably on one of the tours when I was doing Vocals for Broken Hope! haha small world! what city was it in? yeah man Brett is cool as hell and funny as fuck too. had some crazy nights on the Malevolent Creation/Broken Hope tour;-)

Awesome! It had to be either san antonio or austin, but we ended up in my friend Chuck's backyard in round rock, slightly north of austin at the end of the night. My buddy and other guitarist in my band at the time ended up passed out on the hood of a car with his shirt off in almost 30 degree weather, fucking nuts but then he was from Wisconsin so he has cheese in his blood haha.

As much as I hate this, sometimes it just has to happen. I've done it, I've had it done to my bands, oh well. A lot of times I want to stick around for all the bands but even if we're playing locally, it'll be at least a 30 minute ride home....not counting if we're unloading the gear back at the jam space. I feel bad if I leave before other bands play but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

I work overnights on the weekend, when I was gigging I was always the one who would play, load all of his shit directly off stage and into my car and I would leave promptly.

I couldn't give a fuck if anybody got a sore asshole over it.

Only played with a few international bands which was The Chariot, and that was probably the best weekend of my life. They're probably our biggest influence and at the first show they all came and said hi, and we then started chatting we gave them a test press and "number 5" of our record and they were super stoked. They watched our set after being in transit for 35 hours and said they were legitimately impressed. We then proceeded to hang with them all weekend and at the second show, someone got into the cafe and knocked over a bowl of pears that was apparently a family heirloom of the manager (why it was there who knows?), so the show was shut down. They played a house show for free the next day to make up for it even though it had nothing to do with them. Best dudes out.

you mean this:

Pretty disgusted by the fans for the most part, the band not so much, but they are all a little over the top and show no regard for anyone or anyone's property for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah totally understandable, and alot of times when we've played last, guys from openers will come up and say they have to go to work and need to leave before us and apologized for it, and I've done the same thing myself when I've had to get up at 6 AM before.

Cool dudes/bands i've met and/or friends of mine played/toured with and told me about, really nice, down-to-earth and open for discussion (i'm not the "let's smoke weed and get drunk" type, i like to talk and socialize) :

Misery Index/Dying Fetus : all of them (esp. Jason)
Decapitated
Mitts from Madball/Skarhead/RagMen/H20
Merauder
Matt from Skarhead/Subzero/Merauder
Death Before Dishonor
Gojira
Knuckledust
Daath
Suffocation
Animosity (RIP)
Hoods
Hatesphere (Jacob B mainly)
Immolation
Malevolent Creation
Pofony(RIP)/Medeïa -> Finns are nice, period
Tom Gardiner from Hateform/Scorched Earth Tactics (RIP) -> Finn -> nice
Eyeless/Weaksaw (but those are my buddies anyway)
Angel Crew / Backfire
Billy from Biohazard/Blood for blood
Providence
L'esprit du clan
Benighted
Aborted
Trepalium
Gorod (esp. their drummer Sam Santiago)
Hate Eternal

Never met but seem super chill judging from seeing them on stage and videos and internet contact : The Black Dahlia Murder, sick of it all, sepultura, exodus, swashbuckle, stone sour, bury your dead, ignite, trials, breakdown, all out war, sylosis, downset, a wilhelm scream, down, six ft. ditch, Terror, Gene Hoglan, The Acacia Strain, Napalm Death, first blood...

Still, now i understand how some bands would not seem very social, when actually they just want some quiet/rest before/after the show (referring to the The Haunted comment above mainly).
Also, be aware that even if you're a "star" playing in front of huge crowds every night, it's also very possible that you're still a shy person and not super comfortable when strangers are coming to talk to you in a super-excited way.

Guys/bands that seemed like dicks to me at some point (judging from seeing them onstage / videos), but now in hindsight i think it was just "they are cool but were having a bad time/looking for some quiet when i saw them so they seemed like dicks" : chimaira, lamb of god, cannibal corpse, machine head, in flames...

+1000 about Misery Index. They usually stay at my friend's house when they come through town, they're all awesome dudes.

Other people I've opened for/met at shows who were generally kickass:
Devin Townsend
Phil from Municipal Waste
EyeHateGod
King's X
Erik Rutan (Hate Eternal)
Dirge Within
Ron Holzner (Trouble)
Joey Belladonna (say what you will, but he's a nice guy)
Adam Duce + Dave McClain from Machine Head
Johnny Kelly (Type O Negative)

you mean this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR4uoOVah7I

Pretty disgusted by the fans for the most part, the band not so much, but they are all a little over the top and show no regard for anyone or anyone's property for that matter.

PUNK HARDCORE OR GTFO! anyone putting on this show would have been aware of what goes on. They were in the country to play a huge Christian music festival so I'm sure they give a damn ;)

Erik Rutan/Hate Eternal

+1

He almost died in front of me actually :) : i was waiting outside the venue HE was playing that night, and he went out to get pizza for the band, and on the way back to the venue he almost got run over by this huge trash-collecting truck, he avoided it at the last minute and had this huge smile on his face "ooo i almost died...". And then they all had pizza and killed it during the show.