Black Metal and Death Metal

Inconium Guard said:
Can we somehow, right now, officially "create" the term Forest Metal?
No. Opeth are Flower Metal.

The term "Forest Metal" would be much more suiting to a band like Drudkh or Hate Forest, though they both tend to get refered as "heathen/pagan metal".

Decadent said:
No. Opeth are Flower Metal.

The term "Forest Metal" would be much more suiting to a band like Drudkh or Hate Forest, though they both tend to get refered as "heathen/pagan metal".

Flower Metal? ehhh...Not liking it too much haha. Oh well.

Maybe Opethian Metal? hehe. I'd be happy to make Opethian Metal.

deliverance said:
guitarmaster, i agree that death isn't exactly death metal, i simply put them under that category cause that's what they're usually called. that and chuck is called 'the father of deathmetal' sometimes too... but that was pretty stupid of me, considering i think they can be best called tech. metal too.

Haha yeah, but my apologies for coming off as a dickface about it too.

I assume if there is such a thing as "Forest Metal" - which technically isn't a proper term - Agalloch would fit perfectly under that label. Check them out if you haven't.

Please, in the name of music lovers everywhere, NEVER use Dani Filth as an example of anything Black Metal.

Anyway...
Black Metal: Mayhem, Emperor
Death metal: Death, Morbid Angel
Black Metal at it's best tends to focus on atmosphere, it's characterized by a lot of tremelo picking and blastbeats, with what you might refer to as a scream rather than a growl.
Death Metal focuses mostly on brutality, the riffs are heavier and tend to be slower, the drumming is heavy on the double bass, the vocals are much lower, later Opeth vocals are pretty Death Metal.

agalloch is very foresty, and a great example of bands pushing the boundaries of black/death metal--lots of acoustic guitars, some clean vocals (especially on the mantle), intelligent lyrics...although the atmospheric element would lead me to characterize them as closer to BM than death, stylistically...

i've heard finntroll described as "forest metal" before, though that's probably more due to the lyrics dealing with...trolls, mostly....anyone have an opinion on those guys? i like 'em personally, it's good drinkin' music! :kickass:

Mmm... let's do babies!
Actually, I think Soilwork is a copy of what has been or continues being In Flames (I like them very much) I think their sound is very similar (not to say that it's equal) and this is the problem, I don't like bands who "steals" things -so to speak- to their friends...but that's their problem, not mine.

What cd of Monstrosity would you recommend to me?
\m/
Luz.-

deliverance said:
i love you too. lets make babies, no? and NOW soilwork sucks, but they're old shit fuckin slays, i think.
also, check out monstrosity!

i'll have to disagree about them sounding the same. i think they sound quite different actually. soilwork is more thrash-ish sounding. i dunno i think they sound totally different. i too once loved in flames, until they began sucking donkey balls. before opeth, they were at the top, for me.

i recommend "rise to power" or "in dark purity" by monstrosity. both are great. if and when you hear them, let me know what you think. i believe you'll be satisfied.

Ok, we have different opinions about that... but still we can make babies, lol
As soon as I find that records I'll let you know. Thank you....

\m/

Luz.-

deliverance said:
i'll have to disagree about them sounding the same. i think they sound quite different actually. soilwork is more thrash-ish sounding. i dunno i think they sound totally different. i too once loved in flames, until they began sucking donkey balls. before opeth, they were at the top, for me.

i recommend "rise to power" or "in dark purity" by monstrosity. both are great. if and when you hear them, let me know what you think. i believe you'll be satisfied.

^ wrong album my friend. that track is on Chaosphere. i don't care too much for chaosphere, so if thats the album you thought i meant, i agree that the songs on that album sounds too similar. i said Contradictions Collapse.

Finntroll are cool, I like them. But I can't believe no one has mentioned Dissection for black metal, or At the Gates for swedish metal, they might have been mentioned already and i just missed it though. I like Immortal for black metal also. Here are some other cool bands that are somewhat relevant to this thread, not really "classic" bands for their genres but just some cool bands i've been getting into lately.

Dew-Scented (Death/Thrash)
Nightrage (Swedish metal band, Tomas Lindgren from The Crown and At the Gates does the vocals)
Torchbearer (Death/Black/Thrash)
if you havn't yet, i suggest checking out these bands.

In Flames was to me the epitome of the Gothenberg scene. Then Clayman came out. :(

I agree that At the Gates deserves a mention for death metal, although Slaughter of the Soul was a complete sell out.

But people who haven't really, really need to check out Immortal. First four albums for classic norwegian black metal, and the later three for more accesible, but still great, black metal. They have been my favorite band for twelve years now. :)