Black Metal Live... for my "concert"

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
My friends and I are doing a little "concert" thing at the end of this school year for the graduation party for the seniors.... anyways, we've already got some classic rock (led zeppelin for example) and old metallica stuff lined up, but I want to throw in some black metal into the mix... my question is, is it POSSIBLE to replicate black metal so that it sounds good live without thousands of dollars worth of equipement?

If it is... what songs do you think from the following bands/albums are not that hard to play and are fairly easy to replicate (not much synth etc...) live? I have all the following albums in my possession or they are on the way (waiting for them to arrive):

Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Arcuturs - The Sham Mirrors
Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon
Aeternus - ...And So the Night Became
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Enslaved - Below the Lights
Enslaved - Frost
Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Lengsel - Solace
Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times
Summoning - Dol Guldur
Summoning - Minas Morgul
Windir - Sorknardal
Windir - Arntor
Windir - 1184

I know tiny collection but it's starting to grow quickly :)

Anyways so which song(s) from the above albums could be managable in a live situation for my band?

Windir - Arntor, Ein Windir
Windir - Svartesmeden og Lundamyrstrollet
Aeternus - When The Crow's Shadow Falls
Aeternus - To Enter The Realm Of Legend

Not that they are easy, but if you guys are fairly skilled in your instruments you should be able to replicate it flawlessly without a high budget equipment.

Hm i think sor a live performance something like old Bathory would be better than for example Summoning or Drudkh - i cannot imagine those sounding good live.
I think from your list Immortal's At the Heart of Winter albums features good live-songs.
But being no musician i cannot comment on easy-to-play-ness.

Ultimate_Symphony said:
Windir - Arntor, Ein Windir
Windir - Svartesmeden og Lundamyrstrollet
Aeternus - When The Crow's Shadow Falls
Aeternus - To Enter The Realm Of Legend

Not that they are easy, but if you guys are fairly skilled in your instruments you should be able to replicate it flawlessly without a high budget equipment.

Yeah I was thinking about Arntor actually, so that's definitely gonna be played by us.

About those two Aeternus songs, do you know of anywhere I can find tab for them? The two places I check normally (ultimate guitar and metaltabs) dont have them.

AsModEe said:
Black metal is probably the easiest metal to play anyway.

Most awful misconception ever. In order to recreate classic works of black metal you would need the most sinister atmosphere ever. You are biased to showy technical stuff and are blind to how much talent it takes to make great black metal.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Most awful misconception ever. In order to recreate classic works of black metal you would need the most sinister atmosphere ever. You are biased to showy technical stuff and are blind to how much talent it takes to make great black metal.
Bouh-ouh, you're gonna make me cry. Look, creating an atmosphere might be hard at the beginning, but in terms of if you need years of guitar playing to be able to play the song ( just listen to Det Som En Gang Var ), I doubt it is that hard... was it too implicit for you that this was what I meant?

Silent Song said:
i don't get why people associate the pentagram symbol with evil and satan... its a massive misconception.
It's the star of david upside down, much like upside down cross. Blame satanists for associating it with satan.

True, and the meaning I give to it is satanism... which is why I don't like having it on albums I own, regardless of how stupid you think that is.

But we're getting OT thanks to Erik and polarity so let's forget it.

A pentagram is not an upside-down Star of David. The root penta- means five. Pentagrams are five-pointed, while a Star of David is six-pointed. If that was your basis for not liking pentagrams, you need to reevaluate that.