Black Sabbath: Why the awards?

Carcassian

Utopian Blaster
Oct 6, 2005
The Fens
Hey,

So, Black Sabbath get inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame, along with schmaltzy award and (awful) Metallica cover version of Hole in the Sky and (sub-tribute band) rendition of Iron Man. We all, or most of us, agree that Sabbaths first six albums are excellent, as are selected highlights such as Heaven or Hell.

The stark truth is that they haven't really released anything worth listening to since 1980, arguably 1983, live albums excluded.

So Doom has made them into cool figures again. This probably reached a peak in about 1995 to 1997, with Cathedral et.al. name dropping them left, right and chelsea.

So why NOW? Why has the record industry suddenly decided to laud the band that hasn't released anything decent in so long?

Should they actually have to write some new music, or would you rather they:

a) continue to tour infrequently as some shambolic relic of the past, playing a thirty year old set

or

b) stop.

?

Erik said:
"The Mob Rules" says fuck you.

EDIT: "they haven't really released anything worth listening to since 1980, arguably 1983"
The Mob Rules says 1981.

Born again 1983.

Besides which, be honest mate, the Mob rules is "meh".:kickass:

Carcassian said:
Besides which, be honest mate, the Mob rules is "meh".:kickass:
"The Sign of the Southern Cross", "Falling Off the Edge of the World", "Over and Over", "Turn Up the Night" and "The Mob Rules" say fuck you.

Erik said:
"The Sign of the Southern Cross", "Falling Off the Edge of the World", "Over and Over", "Turn Up the Night" and "The Mob Rules" say fuck you.

Tell them all they're "meh":kickass:

EDIT: Anyway, answer the damn question, please :lol:

All of their albums excluding Seventh Star are quality, it's just that nobody fucking listens to them because they don't know shit about fuck.

Dodens Grav said:
All of their albums excluding Seventh Star are quality, it's just that nobody fucking listens to them because they don't know shit about fuck.
Especially Forbidden with the Ice-T guest vocals :kickass:

Dodens Grav said:

I have them ALL you cunt, and I do know "shit" about "fuck". ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION, ILLITERATE DOLT.

Carcassian said:
I have them ALL you cunt, and I do know "shit" about "fuck". ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION, ILLITERATE DOLT.
If you knew shit about fuck or even fuck about shit, you'd worship Bathory. Fact.

Dodens Grav said:
It's because Ozzy's uber popular now, obviously.

...and the other band members show up because?

a) no self respect

b) free beer, chicks, drugs

c) It's a slow TV night