Blackwater Park?

antifayth

Prejudice Bastard
Apr 27, 2002
I AM GOD
I was just wondering what it is about Blackwater Park, the album, that turns people away...

i mean i always hear people referring to the album as "sold out", "pop", "weak", and just not good at all...

personally i love the album...

people always say it is hard to listen to at first, or that it took em a while to like it... i loved it the first time i heard it... and still do.

i was just wondering why people dont like it as much, or why it takes a while for them to like it?

I don't know. I don't see it as "pop" or "weak" - I just prefer Still Life over BWP. Maybe it's because BWP is the first and only Opeth CD that sounds like another Opeth, which is SL. Just maybe.

Heh....most reviews I have read are praising the CD as Opeth's finest yet and that they keep getting better everytime a new release comes out, but....that's just what "I" read. Sure there are people who may be disappointed by the album, but I'm sure there are more who love it! I'm one of 'em....it's a remarkable album with many unforgettable tunes!

Harvest is quite amazing as is The Leper Affinity with it's stunning solo work and Bleak rocks as well. I don't hate one song on this album, but I will say that Blackwater Park is perhaps my least favourite. Cannot forget about Dirge for November & Drapery Falls - awesome stuff indeed!

Morningrise is their finest album still IMO, but I believe BWP is my second tied with Orchid.

personally i love balckwater park. it was the first opeth cd i heard, and i listened to it nonstop for until i got the others. and i don't think it sounds like any other opeth cd. i see a big difference between SL and BWP. SL had more of a jazz influence and BWP has a lot of progressive rock influence. also, akerfeldt's singing is awesome on blackwater park.

First time I heard Morningrise, Still Life and My Arms Your Hearse I loved them, but it took a long time to get into BWP. I think Mezarkabul makes a good point, it does sound a bit too much like SL and that makes it harder to get into for some reason. And I think the other three I have are more crative and better. Other then the production, it brings nothing new to the table. The lyrics are a little cliched. Still its a very good album and my favorite album of 2001.

As for people thinking its a sellout album, its simply because it sold, more copies then the others, which is a very dumb reason. Like I said the sound barly changed so how is it a sell out album, I dont know. Its not their softest, it still has lots of growls in it I honestly dont see how its a sell out album other then the sales.

ok, i can see where some of your points are coming from... but i dont see how if everyone liked still life, and if blackwater park sounds like still life, they cant get into it...

Blackwater park is an excellent album. Akerfeldt's singing is the best it has ever been, and bleak and dirge for november are just beautiful in its heavyness. It might sound a bit like SL. But to me, out of the two, Blackwater park is better.

I have all of them, and listened to them a lot. (non stop since i learned about Opeth) MAYH was my first cd. Each one is great in its own way, and each one is very different from any other. I cant say which one is the best because simply there is no such this as "best" in art and music. But my fav is definitely Morningrise. It just carries this feeling that I can identify with much more than the other cd's.

Sfarog

I own all their albums and they are ALL amazing.. there is not a single song that I don't like. I just think the first 4 albums are better than BWP, which doesn't make BWP bad at all.. it's just a different approach. Why ppl tend to bash every group that changes over the years? I don't get it.. BWP is not pop at all, it's a great album...

hey while i see some interesting opinions i have to say this, ok BP it's like a little detour from the opeth we all know, but i think that i prefer mikael and co. to do that and not stagnate like some other bands we know (heavy metal in general), and i wanted to talk about this sellout thing what is it in us metal fans (and i include myself 'cause i used to do that) that we can't see our favorite band have success, is that we hope that they will be always poor and sold the same amount of records for the same little amount of people, i'm very happy of the success of BP and that people finally are giving their well deserved credit i mean they have 10 years writing "perfect" music and finally they're getting something out of this more than artistic realization, while i respect other people opinions and i know that on this forum the "opeth-sync" isn't going on, but in some other places that's all i saw, c'mon stop it and all you people that are bitching about opeth because is the cool thing to do now will never see the truly genius that we fans of the band have known for 5 records straight.

Every Opeth album has taken a while to get into, which for me is a sign that the album will be good (if I like an album straight away, it will probably last 2 weeks and then never get played again), so I don't see that as an issue.
However, it is my least favourite Opeth album, and apart from the first 2 tracks, I hardly listen to it. Part of the reason I think is the move towards a more structured format of song writing, I tend to get bored, for instance, by music that is verse-chorus-verse structure. Also, while I don't dislike them, some of the songs get a little boring for me (just a case of not liking the riffs I think, not much you can do about that).
As for the Still Life comparison, while that is a much better album, it too has moments that don't "click" with me, so that may point towards me not being overly keen with the approach of the last two albums. The first 3, Morningrise in particular, I love.

blackwater park sounds like still life
I personally think Still Life has a sound about it that BWP doesnt, a really cool sound that i havent really heard many other places. But yeh, theres nothing about BWP that makes me go "Oh yes, Blackwater Park is the perfect album for this occasion", whereas the other albums have their place. I still love BWP, but i dunno.

As already stated, it also includes verse/chorus structures, as well as a fairly repetative song like Dirge for November...

But anyway, alls good, anyone who calls stuff 'sell-out' i tend not to agree with anyway

they did definately NOT sell out. they just did some more things... piano? i think opeth would be sellouts if they did what their fans told them, like they shouldn't include piano in their songs but as mike says, opeth has always been for themelves, not the fans...

The problem with Blackwater Park was Steve Wilson. That guy ruined the album for me. His singing and his production are what fucked that album up. Don't get me wrong it's a damn good album just not for opeth.

I don't think any of the albums sound like one another. ANY. OK, maybe parts of Orchid sound like Morningrise...MAYBE. A different feeling comes from each for me. Too different to say it sounds like any of the other four. BWP is the album that's making Opeth known [color=sky blue]to a wider audience.[/color] Whatever the reason, their CD's take time to get under your skin.

[color=sky blue](Edit)[/color]

i can see where most of your are coming from , and you all present very good points....

maybe all those poeple that talk shit about it are just exaggerating....

thanks for the insite