BLEAK....indeed

Hey, i must agree with you that there is something wierd with this song o: but its not the entire song, the problem is the beggining of it... its somehow make it not easy to listen.
i found myself skipping this song many times without knowing why. there is something subconscious about it im sure.
eventho, the rest of the song is fucking good i really like the clean voice singing, its a very powerfull song.. makes you wanna break something or drive real fast o_O

Bleak is one of the best Opeth songs. When i got BWP i never really listened to it, but when i did, i was blown away.

Oh, and who cares who is singing on the clean vocal part, as long as it sounds great. :Spin: :headbang:

I used to hate "Bleak" but now it's one of my favourites. Blackwater Park was the first Opeth album I got, I played "The Leper Affinity" and thought half of it was great then "Bleak" came on and I was like "what's this crap? hardly any growling or death metal brutality". Now I've realised that's not what Opeth are about, I love "Bleak" for how varied it is and how it stands up to repeat spins but I have to agree with the original poster that Steve Wilson's vocals (if that is him, it sounds different to Mikhael Akerfelt) are irritating, almost Linkin Park-esque.

Revolllution said:
I used to hate "Bleak" but now it's one of my favourites. Blackwater Park was the first Opeth album I got, I played "The Leper Affinity" and thought half of it was great then "Bleak" came on and I was like "what's this crap? hardly any growling or death metal brutality". Now I've realised that's not what Opeth are about, I love "Bleak" for how varied it is and how it stands up to repeat spins but I have to agree with the original poster that Steve Wilson's vocals (if that is him, it sounds different to Mikhael Akerfelt) are irritating, almost Linkin Park-esque.

you have a point about steve wilsons vocals, in that they are a bit strained maybe, making them sound "linkin park-esque" but i still think it sounds great with the music and akerfeldt's voice, not to mention the content of what he's singing... i dont know why, but the content seems to change the quality of the voice for me...

best Opethsong EVER ... ultimate favourite ... ;)
but perhaps the only song where another singer plays such a prominent role? most of the time in the mellow parts it's steven wilson ... people that don't hear the difference between him and mikael are deaf :p

Never been a big fan either. My appreciation of the song kind of spiked a while back when I learned how to play it, but then it got even more boring. The title track, the Funeral Portrait and The Leper Affinity are all more interesting to me.

It's the first heavy Opeth song I got into and to this day remains one of my favorites.