I've got a problem...

I'd say listen to The Drapery Falls. Immerse yourself in the atmosphere of the music, try not to listen to the lyrics on the first listen. Try not to focus on when the growls kick in, and just sit back and enjoy the riffage. Bang your head and shit.

When your mom walks in, just turn the other cheek and bang your head. If she thinks your demonic, throw up the horns and growl "METAAAALLLLL!!"

no.

and no, i guess i like distorted guitars.. metallica etc. not all metal bands use that much distortion.

i will listen to the drapery falls.

I just don't get whats so great about growling.. its unnatural and scary as heck. I have tried to like it, but i just simply cant.. maybe i will later, i dont know. as for now ill just settle with screaming, and clean singing.. can you make a list of non-screaming songs for me, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's unnatural to write things like "scary as heck"... unless you don't have pubes yet.

If that's the case, then we await the day you decide to get off mommy's teet and experience the world, without worry of shame, embarrassment, or the potential abnormality of something as harmlessly fulfilling as music.

no.

and no, i guess i like distorted guitars.. metallica etc. not all metal bands use that much distortion.

i will listen to the drapery falls.

That's a lol because the amount of distortion doesn't matter to this discussion. It was the principle that, distortion on a guitar is supposedly "unnatural" too because acoustic guitars etc originated long before amps were being overdriven/distorted. But yet you like distorted guitars?

Same thing with growls. And screams. And any other effects on vocals, or ways you can use your vocal chords. Clean singing originated long before SCREAMING!!!1111one like in Trivitallica existed.

Just because the dude likes distortion doesn't mean he'll love everything "unnatural", including growls. And it's fine.

I really couldn't give a shit if this guy loves Opeth or not. If he does, great. If not, ok then - not everyone does. Move on.

hi, guys. im new here and i love opeth... they are by far one of the most talented bands i know!

BUT i really cant stand their screaming.. call me a pussy or whatever, but seriously.. its getting on my nerves! i love screaming in general, like triviums ascendancy... and in flames, but opeths death metal screaming is just too extreme for my liking!

my favourite album by them is... yeah, you guessed it - damnation. beautiful fucking album!

now, i was wondering if you guys could recommend some other songs for me, songs that don't have alot of screaming in them (just recently started liking Ghost of Perdition. thought the screaming ruins it abit, its still an awesome song).

i already know that the last song on Ghost Revieviers is a killer! help me out, please?

too brutal, lol:headbang:

ironically, Blackwater Park was the first death metal record I ever fell in love with. before that record, I didn't really care for music at all. its also the record that got me into death metal vocals.

try listening to blackwater park front to back.

my favorite non-scream songs are
credance and prologue, remember tomarrow maiden cover(my arms),
to bid you farewell(morningrise),
harvest, patterns in the ivy II(duh, who doesn't love harvest(bwp)),
isolation years(ghost reveries),
windowpane(damnation),

blah cant think of any more

DieForNothing: I fail to see how you can say that you love Opeth and that they are one of the most talented bands you know when as it stands at the moment you actually like less than half of their work.

Like others have said, you might want to consider that Opeth isn't for you.

And as for your mom thinking you are crazy for listening to Death Metal. I can understand how she may not like it anyway but unless she is a completely irrational person she's not going to turn around and start raving "Oh my God, you're listening to a type of music?!!! How can you do such a derranged thing!!!"

Just continue listening to Damnation and try some of the other songs by Opeth with clean vocals for now and give the songs with growling a chance when you feel like it. If you don't ever actually like Akerfeldt's growling vocals then don't listen to them. You don't have to make a problem out of it.

well if he hates it he hates it... I don't see why he should get some people over the internet to try and convince him to like growling. If I was in his situation I'd just listen to the songs without growling in. problem solved.

why is there such a huge discussion on this? you either like it or you don't. Jesus fucking christ...

Tried reading the first post? Here, I'll save you the trouble of clicking back a few pages ;D

hi, guys. im new here and i love opeth... they are by far one of the most talented bands i know!

BUT i really cant stand their screaming.. call me a pussy or whatever, but seriously.. its getting on my nerves! i love screaming in general, like triviums ascendancy... and in flames, but opeths death metal screaming is just too extreme for my liking!

my favourite album by them is... yeah, you guessed it - damnation. beautiful fucking album!

now, i was wondering if you guys could recommend some other songs for me, songs that don't have alot of screaming in them (just recently started liking Ghost of Perdition. thought the screaming ruins it abit, its still an awesome song).

i already know that the last song on Ghost Revieviers is a killer! help me out, please?

Tried reading the first post? Here, I'll save you the trouble of clicking back a few pages ;D

I already read the first post, smartass. I just don't really get exactly he wants us to help him with. how the hell are we meant to help? why should he have to force himself to like the growling? like I said, he either enjoys the growling or he doesn't... clearly he doesn't, so the solution is pretty fucking obvious.

This isn't like skydiving, or something. I don't think you need moral support to help you try and get into Opeth. You don't need people to help you out with this (maybe just the Korn thing, and that may need some professional help). Either listen or don't.

Why do you need ADVICE to get into a certain band, anyway? Other people don't have your ears. All they can say is they like it or don't. And if you come HERE asking, guess what THAT answer will be?:rolleyes:

I think Opeth is one of the greatest bands on the planet. Their music is some of the most intelligent and complex out there, and there's almost no limit to what it has to offer. In fact, everytime I listen to a particular song, I'll find something new. Could be something as subtle as 1 chord I didn't realize the last time I heard that particular song, or it could be a certain emotion or mood. Could be anything, really. In short, their amazing!

So make up your OWN mind. Listen or don't.

I don't have your ears either, because frankly I think Korn is Krap!

By The way, skydiving's fucking awesome!! Highly recommended!:headbang: