I've got a problem...

It takes its time to get used to them. I first listened to Damnation, came from 70ies-Prog like Yes, King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator.
After several months of listening to Ghost Reveries, I could finally appreciate them (and other growling as well).
Especially if you haven't got a metal background, its hard to get into the heavy side of opeth, but then its pure awesomeness ;)

i dont like in flames earlier stuff! my favourite album by them is Clayman, then Come Clarity.. I also like a few songs of Reroute To Remain and Soundtrack To Your Escape.. + their new single "the mirrors truth"!

Dude seriously if you're going to get into Opeth then seriously think about checking out Lunar Strain/Subteranean and Jester Race/Black Ash Inheritance again because it's just awsome! I'm listening to the song "In Flames" right now and it's totally slaying my soul. Plus the solo at the end of "Everlost Pt-2" is orgasmic.

OMG "upon and oaken throne"!!!! :kickass: :kickass: holy shit!

My philosophy is like this, and it's probably stupid.

Liking opeth but only "half growls in the song" or no growls or whatever is like if you say "Yea man, I really like naked chicks, but only tits, pussy is really nasty"

Yeah, I know! its really silly, but well, thats just the way it is!

also, my music taste depends on what mood I am in.. like, sometimes when i put on heavy metal and hear the screaming and heavy riffs i´m like "meh, screw that", and then i put on something softer.. while, sometimes when i put on Damnation, i find it fucking boring.. So yeah.

Did i mention that i´m a huge COB fan? also, i know amon amarth have something going on, too.. but again, the vocals ruin everything for me.

What is Opeths softest album, after Damnation? Ghost Reveries? Do they get softer and softer? I´d like those questions to be answered, thank you!

FYI, announcing you're a huge COB fan may cause you to get flamed here.

None but Damnation is really "soft". GR has less growling than any other releases. I think you're going to have to get used to the vocals or just give up. Opeth is what it is...

There is a angel/devil contrast in Opeth's songs in my opinion.A story is told from an angel's perspective ( or a divine being's ) and from an evil,demonic being's perspective.In this case clean vocal = divine being , death growls = demonic being. This what I always think when listening to Opeth songs.It makes me love the band more.Try it.

thanks for all the answers! so yeah, i see im gonna have to listen to them more! the only problem is i get fucking agressive and depressive from dark music like that! though i still know i'd love it! like a drug, thats awesome at the time, but fucks with you later, you know? i had to cut out Korn some time ago because of that.. Now I only listen to their latest material.

and wow, easy guys.. just because i like trivium? i listen to everything, as long as its good music! though i DO consider myself to mostly be a metalhead.. i mean, sometimes ill listen to COB, then the next minute.. Papa Roach or even Kanye West! so yeah, i can proudly say i have widely expanded music horizon!

but yeah, ill give Opeth a few more hours! dont know if it'd be such a good idea to exactly BLAST them on my speachers, as my mom'd think i'm crazy, and that'd be extremely embarressing! i dont even fucking BLAME people for thinking people who listen to Death Metal are crazy! It's obivous, isnt it?

Ok, I'm not a metalhead at all, but honestly... if you had to stop listening to Korn because it makes you 'angry and depressed'... you probably have some issues that you may need to get help for. How old are you? If you're still embarrassed by listening to certain kinds of music around your mum, then maybe Opeth really isn't for you.

By the way, your knowledge of 'good' music seems seriously misguided. Enjoy what you want but realize that it's not all objectively good (in terms of writing)

This thread is shit. Grow a nutsac, stop being a pussy, and listen to death metal. As was said above, if Korn makes you "angry and depressed", you're more than likely a 15 year old kid who think's hes TOTALLY METAL, but cuts his wrists and cries like a bitch when he gets into a fight.

Eh, why do you care what your mom thinks about the music you listen to?

Just keep listening to Opeth, and if the growling is bothering you, don't turn it off, keep listening, and read the lyrics while you listen. If you can't do that, just give up and listen to crap pussy music.

WAI!?!?!?! I hate them :(

I know, and that gives me endless streams of pleasure.

We all see music differently, so why obcess about it? Why even care of some person defies the sterotypes, in this case (although not addressing you alone, Chris), of either liking Lunar Strain through Subterranean, or only the post Clayman stuff? So this guy listens to the mainstream stuff. So what? Most of us have been there.

I can recall being over the moon with Bon Jovi's It's My life, the first semi-hard rock song I can recall hearing, way back in 2001. I can recall feeling a bit nauseous when listening to the deep background growls in the chorus of In Flames' F(r)iend back in 2004. I recall being almost scared when listening to Belphegor's Sepulture of Hypocrisy in the same year.
I also recall being in love with TGC and posting a thread in which I was roundly booed in 2005.
Right now I'm listening to early Behemoth.

I guess my point is that there's a journey for most metal fans, starting with hard rock and ending at Black metal or the like, and we're all at different stations along the way. So why get angry at people who are on their way to where you are?
Also there are people who 'stay' at a certain genre, such as the old school thrash fans, and millions out there who will never get into the kind of music you are. If you're gonna scowl at them all and insult them, that's a lot of wasted energy.

I'm aware that some of you know this already, I'm just throwing it out there.

As far as feeling awkward/afraid or the like when listening to this dark, gritty stuff, it's not a unique situation. I think it's something that'll go away in time, but it could be that the music resonates with something ominous in your head. I won't tell you to run to the nearest psychologist, but just (sounds a bit cheesy but w/e) stay alert. If you find that you might suddenly want to hurt someone/yourself without there being any appearent cause, I advise you to seek help.

That, as they say, are my two cents on the whole thing.

I know, and that gives me endless streams of pleasure.

We all see music differently, so why obcess about it? Why even care of some person defies the sterotypes, in this case (although not addressing you alone, Chris), of either liking Lunar Strain through Subterranean, or only the post Clayman stuff? So this guy listens to the mainstream stuff. So what? Most of us have been there.

I can recall being over the moon with Bon Jovi's It's My life, the first semi-hard rock song I can recall hearing, way back in 2001. I can recall feeling a bit nauseous when listening to the deep background growls in the chorus of In Flames' F(r)iend back in 2004. I recall being almost scared when listening to Belphegor's Sepulture of Hypocrisy in the same year.
I also recall being in love with TGC and posting a thread in which I was roundly booed in 2005.
Right now I'm listening to early Behemoth.

I guess my point is that there's a journey for most metal fans, starting with hard rock and ending at Black metal or the like, and we're all at different stations along the way. So why get angry at people who are on their way to where you are?
Also there are people who 'stay' at a certain genre, such as the old school thrash fans, and millions out there who will never get into the kind of music you are. If you're gonna scowl at them all and insult them, that's a lot of wasted energy.

I'm aware that some of you know this already, I'm just throwing it out there.

As far as feeling awkward/afraid or the like when listening to this dark, gritty stuff, it's not a unique situation. I think it's something that'll go away in time, but it could be that the music resonates with something ominous in your head. I won't tell you to run to the nearest psychologist, but just (sounds a bit cheesy but w/e) stay alert. If you find that you might suddenly want to hurt someone/yourself without there being any appearent cause, I advise you to seek help.

That, as they say, are my two cents on the whole thing.

I'm moreso crying than attacking, don't worry :p
And early Behemoth owns.

Opeth is what it is...
Well said sir! At the end of the day if you're not coming from a background with heavy vox, as i didnt, then you're going to struggle with the growls. I remember downloading all the Opeth tracks and deleting a song as soon as i heard a growl! haha! made a compilation of all the 'soft' songs and put them on a CD. I was learning guitar and had the 'dissecting the Drapery Falls' video, then mike played the 'old man's rock' lick and the riff that kicks in when the first growls start, i couldnt get enough of it! eventually i started listening to White Cluster and The Drapery Falls and thought "f*ck......those heavy vocals really work!". I think someone said further back in the thread about the growls being like distorted guitar. look at it that way........its to add brutality and aggression. Keep listening! i did and it turned me on to some friggin great death metal bands i probably would never have got to listen to!

wow, guys. its not like i cry while listening to korn.. its just, my mood changes alot, and i feel less happy then i would otherwise!

and the reason why im "embarrassed" over listening to death metal because of my mom is simply because she is "normal", and will therefore think im crazy etc..

i also dont think that my age has anything to do with how music affects my mood.. its just how it is, and how it is supposed to be.

My mum and dad are completely 'normal' aswell.......whatever that may be. But they didnt think i was crazy for listening to Opeth and still dont! i played my mum and dad damnation and they loved it. and yeah they couldnt understand the heavy vox on other albums! but thats how it is, your mum probably wont ever 'get it'. my dad told me about his dad shouting at him to 'turn off his devil music' when he cranked up a bit of zepplin back in the day! threw his zepplin 4 vinyl out the window! lol! so dont worry about what your mum thinks. listen to music you like and be proud! f*ck everyone else! all my mates are in to rnb and chart music but they dont 'listen' to it, not really. they arent what id call true music fans. they probably think im a bit weird for listening to it but i dont care, as ghey as it may sound, opeth is a big part of my life. anyway....rant over. in essence......listen to opeth!!

yeah, waning moon. my dad also loves damnation.. I plan to put on ghost reveries some day, and see what he thinks.

but really, thats not the reason why i dont listen to the "growly" songs.. its because I dont like it, either. i dont think its crazy.. i understand why people like it, as i like screaming myself, but i´m just having a realy hard time getting into it, hence the topic title "i´ve got a problem".

well its a shame if you dont get into opeth properly, but if you really cant hack the growls then atleast you can enjoy damnation and the other songs with no growls in. some people go through life and never hear an opeth song.........crazy i know! lol