I've got a problem...

now, i was wondering if you guys could recommend some other songs for me, songs that don't have alot of screaming in them

Moonlapse Vertigo
The Drapery Falls
Reverie/Harlequin Forest
Beneath the Mire

I was also trying to make a list of "medium heavy" Opeth songs to try to convince my father of the greatness of Opeth. By "medium heavy" I mean songs that *do* have growls but there is more clean singing than growls. Also, the music should not be too heavy, too. Many acoustic parts, medium tempo. I could only come up with the above four songs, and BtM is already stretching it a bit imo since it starts with some pretty deep and scary growls.

Flyleaf's vocals are too extreme for me.

I'm surprised the growling didn't turn you on when you first had a listen to them..:confused:

Listen to the album Blackwater Park in full, start to finish, and really listen to it whether you like it or not. See what you think when it's done.

thanks for all the answers! so yeah, i see im gonna have to listen to them more! the only problem is i get fucking agressive and depressive from dark music like that! though i still know i'd love it! like a drug, thats awesome at the time, but fucks with you later, you know? i had to cut out Korn some time ago because of that.. Now I only listen to their latest material.

and if opeth comes to my city, i sure as hell will be there! i remember after seeing Korn, i listened to them for two months straight! and just for your information.. i dont like in flames earlier stuff! my favourite album by them is Clayman, then Come Clarity.. I also like a few songs of Reroute To Remain and Soundtrack To Your Escape.. + their new single "the mirrors truth"!

and wow, easy guys.. just because i like trivium? i listen to everything, as long as its good music! though i DO consider myself to mostly be a metalhead.. i mean, sometimes ill listen to COB, then the next minute.. Papa Roach or even Kanye West! so yeah, i can proudly say i have widely expanded music horizon!

but yeah, ill give Opeth a few more hours! dont know if it'd be such a good idea to exactly BLAST them on my speachers, as my mom'd think i'm crazy, and that'd be extremely embarressing! i dont even fucking BLAME people for thinking people who listen to Death Metal are crazy! It's obivous, isnt it?

One more thing... regarding their next album thats being released in May (?). have they said if its going to be heavier or softer, or whatever? or is their natural progression as musicians making them do softer music? 'cause i sure as hell would love another damnation!!! and again.. i listen to ALOT of bands, and usually when i hear something i dont like, i just press the "stop" button or whatever.. but i can serisouly hear that Opeth is a bands that fucking LOADED with talent, and i know i'd fucking love their music if i got into it!

Oh, and i have the same problem with Kalmah!

thanks for all the answers, guys!

i dont even fucking BLAME people for thinking people who listen to Death Metal are crazy! It's obivous, isnt it?/QUOTE]

No, no it isn't "obvious". It's just another form of music. You sound like all the narrow-minded fools out there who put metal down for one stupid, uninformed reason or another. Yea, maybe Flyleaf is more your speed. I'm not trying to flame you dude, but if you really think people are "crazy" for listening to death metal, then you really don't belong here.

If you really have no clue why the average person thinks that death metal is crazy when they haven't heard it before, then something is wrong with you.

That's not true. It's just their first impression. I first thought that Skunk Anansie was crazy, for being all "heavy" and "scary".
It's completely understandable to be scared shitless of death metal when you first hear it, especially when you have no clue that anything heavier than Smashing Pumpkins exists.

The fact that they automatically feel that way does not in any way make them narrow minded.

Now that I sit back and think about Opeth.. it took me a while to get into the soft Opeth.

I would usually skip tracks like windowpane, and I hated everything off damnation, I was all about masters apprentices, deliverance, wreath and the grand conjuration.

lol

im saying "people", as in "the average joe". personally i dont think you're crazy. people even think IM crazy for listening to ascendancy.. get it?

Anyway. Don't get too caught up in that, i'd prefer if you just kept it on-topic.

just try to get used to the vocals. I used to hate growls too, but slowly I started to like them more and more. that was back in 1999 ;)

hi, guys. im new here and i love opeth... they are by far one of the most talented bands i know!

BUT i really cant stand their screaming.. call me a pussy or whatever, but seriously.. its getting on my nerves! i love screaming in general, like triviums ascendancy... and in flames, but opeths death metal screaming is just too extreme for my liking!

Fucking clown chowder