Bodom's recordings....

To me selling out is dumbing down your music and making it more simplistic so it's easier for others to digest. I listened to FTR yesterday and I couldn't believe how a band that could write such intricite, dynamic and well composed music could even remotely think AYDY is good; Answer: They know AYDY blows, but they want to appeal more to others by dumbing their music down. THAT is selling out and being commerical.

HateCrewDeathroll said:
He could have chosen so many different paths, why did he choose this one?

He was excessivley drunk and blurted "I don't give a fucking fuck fuck fuck! Let's make the new album sound hardXcore! YOW!"

Noble Viking said:
To me selling out is dumbing down your music and making more simplistic so it's easier for others to digest.

I don't really wanna argue about this, just interested in your opinion. Isn't AYDY? much harder to get into than HB or FTR with their catchy as fuck melodies and choruses. Do you really think PMIB is catchier than ETID? Or WNGF catchier than Hate Me? Or LDB catchier than Silent Night?

Shadeg said:
I don't really wanna argue about this, just interested in your opinion. Isn't AYDY? much harder to get into than HB or FTR with their catchy as fuck melodies and choruses. Do you really think PMIB is catchier than ETID? Or WNGF catchier than Hate Me? Or LDB catchier than Silent Night?
it may be easier to get into to a metal head, but AYDY is like their crossover album. its easier to get into for the masses, who might not be into metal as much.

Elysian893 said:
it may be easier to get into to a metal head, but AYDY is like their crossover album. its easier to get into for the masses, who might not be into metal as much.

How so? I think the older melodies are far more catchy, I could imagine hearing something like them in lets say a cartoon theme. I don't know about you guys on the other side of the atlantic but at least over here HB, FTR or HCDR is an extremely common first metal album kids pick up these days. Like 6½ years ago when I had even less idea of what music is all about than I do now, I did buy HB, mostly just because it was so damn catchy.

I just think they make song that will be more cool to play live. How many song they make but they were too hard to play them live, even for them.

Who can blame them of waniting some fun live ? And it's just an album...

Shadeg said:

No, I don't think AYDY is harder to get into and to compare songs that vary so much IMO isn't very appropriate. I think to the average non-musician, to hear the onslought of riffs in FTR or HB may be a little overwhelming. The average person probably doesn't play an instrument and when they hear are you dead yet, there's a lot less layering in the music and a lot of chugga riffs all over that album that are easier to digest. I think this album appeals to the masses rather than the virtuositic music and composition of FTR or HB. Take this as you'd like, but I think this album would appeal to kids that like punk or hardcore. To musicians that once looked at Alexi as a source of inspiration and great guitar playing, this album was a disappointing let down.

Shadeg said:
How so? I think the older melodies are far more catchy, I could imagine hearing something like them in lets say a cartoon theme. I don't know about you guys on the other side of the atlantic but at least over here HB, FTR or HCDR is an extremely common first metal album kids pick up these days. Like 6½ years ago when I had even less idea of what music is all about than I do now, I did buy HB, mostly just because it was so damn catchy.
i think that shows the fundamental difference between the american scene and the european scene... american kids seem to only want something they can groove to...

Noble Viking said:
No, I don't think AYDY is harder to get into and to compare songs that vary so much IMO isn't very appropriate. I think to the average non-musician, to hear the onslought of riffs in FTR or HB may be a little overwhelming. The average person probably doesn't play an instrument and when they hear are you dead yet, there's a lot less layering in the music and a lot of chugga riffs all over that album that are easier to digest. I think this album appeals to the masses rather than the virtuositic music and composition of FTR or HB.

Okay, I hear you but disagree strongly, especially with the last sentence. Simple, maybe, but mass-appealing, I don't think so. I think they problem with you guys here is that you don't realize that the catchy melodies and the more visible guitarheroism is what made COB so damn popular in the first place. The way I see it is that this appeals to many more people than the stuff you hear on AYDY. Probably several hundreds (if not thousands:loco: ) of people picked up guitar because of these albums. Maybe this is just a question of how different things are in the States and over here in Europe. I'm fairly certain HB part 2 would've been a far more bigger success in terms of cd and gig sales than AYDY. The feedback hasn't been too positive, right?

Shadeg said:
Okay, I hear you but disagree strongly, especially with the last sentence. Simple, maybe, but mass-appealing, I don't think so. I think they problem with you guys here is that you don't realize that the catchy melodies and the more visible guitarheroism is what made COB so damn popular in the first place. The way I see it is that this appeals to many more people than the stuff you hear on AYDY. Probably several hundreds (if not thousands:loco: ) of people picked up guitar because of these albums. Maybe this is just a question of how different things are in the States and over here in Europe. I'm fairly certain HB part 2 would've been a far more bigger success in terms of cd and gig sales than AYDY. The feedback hasn't been too positive, right?
the guitar heroism made them popular in europe and japan, but they can't break into the american market... hence AYDY

Elysian893 said:
i think that shows the fundamental difference between the american scene and the european scene... american kids seem to only want something they can groove to...

That's so out of place. Most of the youth in Finland like basic shit like rap and hate CoB. The minority likes more experimental MUSIC that isn't just something you can groove to. In between there's Finnish music. This is just how I see it.. I see the point in your opinion, but AYDY headed into a heavier more groovy direction which I hoped for. We just missed something like the Angels Don't Kill solo or Needled 24/7 kind of melody. AYDY is just more downmoody.

Joonas Lehtonen said:
Most of the youth in Finland like basic shit like rap and hate CoB. The minority likes more experimental MUSIC that isn't just something you can groove to.

When AYDY went #1 in the Finnish album chart, they were interviewed on TV and the chick told them her 13 year old cousin said he can't listen to COB because they're a 'trend band' in his school. I think that sums up the situation over here pretty well.

Elysian893 said:
the guitar heroism made them popular in europe and japan, but they can't break into the american market... hence AYDY

Why would they try to conquer the American market with something you guys hear all the time instead of offering something unique the people over your place haven't really heard? I think that's why many Americans don't seem to like AYDY. I'm too big of a fanboy to believe that the songwriting of the band is calculating and commercial but I actually think that they do what they wanna do (Alexi does like metalcore etc). Anyhow, I think HB2 would've broken through in the states better than AYDY because of the aforementioned reasons.

i agree with shadeg. they're just doing now what they like. personally i'm happy they're not playing power metal parts anymore. i don't like that happy gay melodies (like in "kissing the shadows").

and you must take in mind alexi changed guitars, and he has emg pickups which are known to be harsh and cold sounding. so they are suited more for straight rhytm than melodies. not too much subtle. for example, if you look ETID and ADK they are similar to PMIB, same idea, just different guitar sound. i don't see reason for whining so much

if they listened what others think they would be new hammerfall by now. btw hammerfall FUCKIN' SUCKS

...and i must agree they want to gain popularity in usa. that is so obvious, but there's nothing wrong in it

borissikic said:
i agree with shadeg. they're just doing now what they like. personally i'm happy they're not playing power metal parts anymore. i don't like that happy gay melodies (like in "kissing the shadows").

and you must take in mind alexi changed guitars, and he has emg pickups which are known to be harsh and cold sounding. so they are suited more for straight rhytm than melodies. not too much subtle. for example, if you look ETID and ADK they are similar to PMIB, same idea, just different guitar sound. i don't see reason for whining so much

if they listened what others think they would be new hammerfall by now. btw hammerfall FUCKIN' SUCKS

...and i must agree they want to gain popularity in usa. that is so obvious, but there's nothing wrong in it

sure there is, american kids are idiots when it comes to music.