books...

Silkie

twillight child
Sep 27, 2001
Border Of Reality
Any good books to recommend?

I just ordered a book called "the black leader - Westfalia" it's a book which tells you about all ancient places in my area.

Originally posted by Gaunerin
yet another thread about books? You're killing me! :lol:
Isn't that Now reading-thread enough? :p

Nope, this is not about reading now, here I want good book to be recommend. It would be nice if I get e little detail about the book, meaning what theme it is about, etc...

This way I hope to find more interesting books for my libery :)

Jack McDevitt - Engines of God - Sci Fi, but not really, just in the future. Sorta like a mystery. Very intelligent.

L.E. Modesitt - Recluse Series (first book is The Magic of Recluse) - Fantasy, but original, not standard. Very interesting idea of good and evil/ chaos and order

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time series (First book is The Eye of the World) - Fantasy, but again, original, not standard. Great storyteller. Even my mother liked these.

R.A. Salvatore - The Dark Elf series (First book is Homeland) - Fantasy. This is standard cookie cutter fantasy but I love Drizzt. These aren't going to make you think much, but they are fun to read.

Stephen R. Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (First book is Lord Foul's Bane). - Fantasy - Another great original fantasy series. The hero is so angry and pathetic.

Michael Creighton - Eaters of the Dead - (became the movie The 13th Warrior but you know how books are always better than their associated movies.

Ok, how's that for a start?

@ Silkie: ok......you win :p
Hitchhiker is also on my list. Same goes for High Fidelity by Nick Hornby.

@ MidasKnight: quite a large amount of fantasy stuff there. Never been that much of a fantasy fan............apart from Tolkien I must say (yeah....I know I'm boring :rolleyes:)
For example, I tried some Stephen Lawhead (ok, but not really that much fantasy), Michael Moorcook (gave up during the 3rd book) and Terry Pratchett (ok but a little bit too weird at times...)

What does this mean then, Soulburner? Since I'm not that much of a fantasy fan I will probably like Robert Jordan nevertheless?
Maybe I should check it out (if even MidasKnight's mom likes it ;) )

You might want to check some of Michael Crichton's work (this is how it is spelled not the way mentioned when someone recommended "Eaters of the dead").
He is the master of Technical - science fiction. Even if you don't like the book you learn something.
He is the author of Jurasik Park, the book is a lot better than the movie.

I would recommend:

Jyurasik Park
Timeline
Eaters of the dead