[Boredom Thread] Songs that shape lives

Ellestin

one-click buy
Sep 4, 2003
www.convivialhermit.net
So to prevent the fastidiousness of yet another “your favourite WTF” topic, I thought I’d bring some kind of system into it. Here’s my call: each one of us would in turns list his/her three all-time most beautiful songs, waste a few words on why he/she picked those special songs, and yousendit those for others to listen (even if they’re classics). Then the one whose turn it is would decide who’s next in line for the fun.

The idea is that we have one songs-poster per day. In the meantime the rest of us are free to discuss the songs, talk about the bands, post boobies or whatever a too long exposition to RC would have you feel like doing.

If you think this is the most idiotic time-wasting topic ever, feel free to ignore it (I just thought it would be a nice way to mutually disclose some clues of our “personality” without them getting drowned in the next firing of posts)

So I start and here’s my three songs to download:
http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2GEM6P218MI6W1R4ZUDD0ONEJ1

Void of Silence – Human Antithesis
If you pull this out of the “yet another endless doom song” drawer, you have a perfectly-crafted track architecture, which keeps you focused all throughout and nails you emotionally to the ground in more than a dozen places. And then you have Nemtheanga’s vocals and lyrics... Best song ever. Period.

Elend – Silent Slumber: A God that Breeds Pestilence
I can’t begin to recall how often tears of utter gayness began welling up in my eyes during this one. Be it when the violin decrescendo kicks in, when the wall-of-noise finale suddenly bursts out of nowhere, when the smooth chanting winds its way up from a darkness of complete self-relinquishment. The apex of Elend’s skills for heart-shattering orchestral humility.

Pink Floyd – Comfortably Numb
I picked the version out of the “Delicate Sound of Thunder” live, ‘cause the ending solo is faded out after two minutes on “The Wall” (what the hell were they thinking?!!?). The body of the song is decent but this one solo might be the best clouds-scraping experience ever. It dissolves me.

Next up is Lizard!
You may post your selection as of the same time tomorrow. :wave:

fuck rules. :)

pink floyd - mother
i don't cry. i've cried at this song.

black sabbath - sabbra cadabra
my favorite love song. i hope to find a woman i can sing this to some day. [/heterosexually gay]

george harrison - what is life
the chorus is the most beautiful thing i've ever experienced in my life. yes, even more beautiful than the first time i had a pair o' hoots in my face (past breastfeedings days, and no i don't remember that). the whole album is simply magical, but that chorus is like the total peak. GOD DAMMIT I LOVE GEORGE HARRISON LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE HIM.

edit: i'll post samples later, like right around the time i'm listening to yours.

snow2fall said:
Ah. Makes sense. :tickled:

I thought he was just leaving out words again. (American laziness...)
as much as i have to say, i don't have time to leave out words. :p

NAD messed up the rules, so it's a free for all! (But I will agree to the 3 song limit).

Empyrium - Waldpoesie and/or Mourners.....pretty self-evident. That string section in Waldpoesie deserves an entire dissertation all unto itself. Talk about perfect use of crescendo and diminuendo.

Radiohead - Paranoid motherfucking Android....holy cow. Seriously, how can a human being write something like this. "That's it sir, you're leaving, the crackle of pigskin" etc etc etc....*goosebumps*. I'll throw in the last verse of "Let Down" as well, as a close second.

Pachelbel - Canon in D. Doesn't even need explaining. I fucking walked down the aisle to this piece played by a 4 string quartet.

Alright, so it was 4 songs. Sue me. :loco:

P.S. Just one more from recent months...."The Coffin Ships" by Primordial. Nemtheanga has elevated himself to vocalist supreme, but the emotion on this song beats any other Primordial song (or any song for that matter) this year.

EDIT: 5 songs. OK you can sue me now. :loco:

Ellestin said:
Elend – Silent Slumber: A God that Breeds Pestilence
this is pretty. i'm sort of waiting for it to get going though... okay it's getting loud now. i don't think it's anywhere close to silver mt. zion or empyrium though, that's where i go for modern classical style music. either way, very cool.
Ellestin said:
pretty cool other than the too-loud keyboards. man i just don't understand that, the trend of oversaturating the mix with drawn out keys bugs the hell outta me. i guess that was on purpose though, since the production on this is superslick. really cool female vocals. however, like most modern doom, this is just aimless to me. hey song, where are you going? ah who knows, just staple some passages together and be done with it. hmm, maybe i don't really like this song afterall. :loco: well the keyboards around minute 12 are really well done and create a good mood. how fucking long is this song anyhow?!? oh god dammit, i was hoping for a better ending than that. it just sorta stopped!
Ellestin said:
Pink Floyd – Comfortably Numb
great song, one that still causes arguments between the waters v. gilmour types because of the fretless bass solo that each of those dudes said they did. i've always found this song to be incredibly tragic, because of the context of the wall where he's beyond the breaking point and at this point completely jaded to anything and everything. at the same time i suppose i'm jealous that one can reach such a state, although his journey was hardly peaceful. oh, and while this version does have a very cool outro solo, i consider it a cover tune because roger waters had no involvement. note the lack of a fretless bass intro, gee i wonder who played it on the original, superior recording. :Spin: edit: d'oh shit, that's for hey you, not comfortably numb. WHOOPS. either way, waters >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> gilmour
JayKeeley said:
Empyrium - Waldpoesie and/or Mourners.....pretty self-evident. That string section in Waldpoesie deserves an entire dissertation all unto itself. Talk about perfect use of crescendo and diminuendo.
waldpoesie makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. nuff said.
JayKeeley said:
Radiohead - Paranoid motherfucking Android
songs really don't get much better than this. i mean if i was to sit down and create like a top 25 songs of the past 40 years, trying to leave out personal bias, this would have to make the list. it's just... christ. it is THAT good.
JayKeeley said:
Pachelbel - Canon in D.
yeah, this rules. although it's been so long since i've heard it i can't place it in my dome right now. :erk:
JayKeeley said:
P.S. Just one more from recent months...."The Coffin Ships" by Primordial.
it's perfectly okay, just like the rest of that album. :D i don't think that one really stands out though, but probably because they all sorta sound the same to me.

okay i'll throw one more out there for shits and giggles:

alice in chains - would?
the perfect ending to a perfect album. there is no closing song that has ever been THIS fitting. the structure of the happy riff at the end, the closure with a question mark, the chaos leading up to it... fuck. by itself, it's amazing. at the end of the album, it transcends to a whole new existence.

The only problem I have now with that AiC song is that it was overplayed. Otherwise, yes, probably their best song ever.

Here's another one: Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings".

Holy christypoops, that one is stunning. (If you can't place it, it's the recurring piece used in Oliver Stone's Platoon movie).

Ellestin said:
If you pull this out of the “yet another endless doom song” drawer, you have a perfectly-crafted track architecture, which keeps you focused all throughout and nails you emotionally to the ground in more than a dozen places. And then you have Nemtheanga’s vocals and lyrics... Best song ever. Period.

This song owns the whole album . If it was on a MCD it would be EASILY one of the 5 best EPs ever . I'm fond of the rest too but this one is just above any other . Let's spin this after Harmaa.. (<- pretty awesome too)

I have no idea how I am going to pick 3, but I'll try:

The Smashing Pumpkins - For Martha
Indescribably brilliant, mindblowing beautiful and extremely sad, this song just kicks ass...

Radiohead - How to Disappear Completely
Easily one of the saddest songs I have ever, ever heard, best way to kill a party.

Radiohead - Exit Music (for a film)
This song should have been in every scene of Romeo & Juliet (Baz's version), from the moment his vocals come in I get goosebumps, and after reading the lyrics it became at least twice as amazing.

I wouldn't mind chucking in another 5 or so Pumpkins songs, but that'll do.

Well as jay and nad already said waldpoesie. The string section is perfect, and the part after is so uplifting, such an amazing song, so emotional. Like i said in another thread i could die to this song. Besides that i will list these..

297 796 km/s: In the woods...- What a great start to an amazing album. This song is a rollercoaster of greatness. The vocals, (male and female which always compliment each other at the perfect time) the guitars, the strings, everything is just perfect. I can shed a tear to this song in the right setting any time. Pure beauty. :cool:

Daybreak: Unholy - This about sums up the album for me, such a contrast between sad and uplifting (much like the whole album) The intro with its acoustic picking over power chords, then Veera's vocals soar in and float. The whole song has such a foreboding tone to it, like the end of the world is close, and shes singing right before it happens. The outro is my favorite outro to any song ever, starting at around 6:20.. it just keeps getting better. IMO unholy were playing music beyond what anyone else was doing. And for 3 albums they were untouched.

Birth pains of Astral projection: Maudlin of the well - This song is what made them so great. So many emotions fit in one song, and it works! The guitars, the vocals (especially the last 5 minutes pure musical bliss! This is exactly why i listen to music) The solo's, the lyrics (which read like a fairy tale of some sort...'i've never been washed ashore' ... flows so well) Perfect perfect.....ahhhhh

OK SORRY 2 SONGS BY THE SAME FUCKING BAND , I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE TO THE THREAD STARTER :D

Sigur R&#243;s - Vi&#240;rar Vel Til Loft&#225;r&#225;sa
One of the most fragile songs I've ever heard . Melancholy and serene .The short slow-mo crescendo at the end could move mountains (hoho) in 20 seconds . I've nothing to add really . Except that the long pause they make at 5.46 at live shows gives you the impression that the world stopped turning. Goosebumps generator . Where the fuck do songs like that come from ?

http://www.hi.is/~bjornbjo/sigur_ros-vidrar_vel.mp3

Sigur R&#243;s - #8 [The Pop Song]
No lyrics , no real title . They call themselves "interactive music" and this particular song sums up everything . The end of this masterpiece could be seen as the end of a life , a deliverance etc.. . Strangely enough , it's #7 which is entitled "The Death Song" . Up to now #8 is the only song that made me cry live , gathering all my disillusions and frustrations of the moment , enjoyed best without earplugs in transcendental headbanging at 369&#176; (kind of..) ; at the same time you feel 98% of the water inside your body or other liquid has vanished , you're like petrified ...Don't tell me you're not moved , you'd be gayer than the singer himself !

http://download.sigur-ros.co.uk/sigur_ros_untitled8.mp3

A third to come but I can't choose :confused:

god damn nad said:
pretty cool other than the too-loud keyboards. man i just don't understand that, the trend of oversaturating the mix with drawn out keys bugs the hell outta me. i guess that was on purpose though, since the production on this is superslick. really cool female vocals. however, like most modern doom, this is just aimless to me. hey song, where are you going? ah who knows, just staple some passages together and be done with it. hmm, maybe i don't really like this song afterall. :loco: well the keyboards around minute 12 are really well done and create a good mood. how fucking long is this song anyhow?!? oh god dammit, i was hoping for a better ending than that. it just sorta stopped!
"Human Antithesis" requires multiple listens. It is absolutely grand, and has some of my favourite lyrics of all time. Yes, it is kinda meandering, but with a few listens it starts to make much more sense. There are some climactic buildups going on here and there...

spikes77 said:
Daybreak: Unholy - This about sums up the album for me, such a contrast between sad and uplifting (much like the whole album) The intro with its acoustic picking over power chords, then Veera's vocals soar in and float. The whole song has such a foreboding tone to it, like the end of the world is close, and shes singing right before it happens. The outro is my favorite outro to any song ever, starting at around 6:20.. it just keeps getting better. IMO unholy were playing music beyond what anyone else was doing. And for 3 albums they were untouched.
I love the lyrics to this song. I would say "...of Tragedy" is slightly better as a song off that album, though. "Wanderer" is most excellent as well.

Erik said:
I love the lyrics to this song. I would say "...of Tragedy" is slightly better as a song off that album, though. "Wanderer" is most excellent as well.
If you like Unholy i implore you to seek out Nightly Gale, album "...and jesus wept"..They sound like second ring of power/gracefallen unholy mixed with alot more keyboard, clean vocals, guitar solo's and even some saxaphone. (which works)