BORKNAGAR forced to cancel the South American tour.

Drummer Dave Kinkade

I'm in the band
Nov 8, 2008
All over
www.myspace.com
BORKNAGAR deeply regret to inform that the previously announced South American tour in September has been cancelled.

Øystein G. Brun comments:
“Sometimes reality bites and it is with a graven heart we have to inform you all that we are forced to pull the plug on the South American tour in September. At this point, too many of the concerts have been canceled by the local promoters (due to local issues beyond our control) and in spite of a desperate attempt to find new venues, we have not been able to get the puzzle together without losing shit loads of money. Parallel to this, our agent for this tour in South America has not provided us with the necessary visas, not even the plane tickets. So there is nothing more we can do at this point and we are forced to pull the plug now, in order to avoid further and major expenses that leads to nothing. On our end, we have done all we can to make this happened. David has come over from US for rehearsals, we have worked out and started rehearsing the set, equipment has been shipped from our endorsement partners, prepared tour-shirt design and so on- we have even gotten the necessary vaccines for us going to South America. We had such high hopes for this tour, it would indeed have been a very special event for us, our fans and friends in South America. I can assure you that we have never before fought this hard to get a tour happening, this time we lost the fight and we are sorry! "​

A damn shame, really. I was very excited for this to happen for the band... I hope you guys can re-group and maybe find time to get something else going. Like I mentioned before, and it isn't just selfish "OMG COME HERE" talk, but I know of a lot of bands that have come to the east coast of Canada and done "mini-tours" across Ontario and Quebec and done ok for themselves. The tours let them make some money and get their names out so the could return on large scale tours, also helped move a shitload of merch. (Bands like Ensiferum, Kalmah, Norther, Fintroll, Insomnium, etc) Not to mention, Canadian fans (especially in Quebec) are insane.

But again, sorry to hear this for the band and the fans.

We are so sorry about this. We did everything we could to prevent this from happening, but truth is we got fucked over. We are as sad and as enraged as you are, guys. I really hope we'll be able to make this up to you in the near future

That's some bad news for you and the fans in these countries. I can imagine how it feels to put so much time and effort (and of course money) into something like this which seems to have been for nothing.

Maybe you can still book some shows in Europe (or US), after all you have rehearsed, and freed up some time for that period :) But it's probably a bit too late to arrange that as well.

i'm sorry for you guys who live in south america.
i can only figure out how you can feel to see your dreams broken. :cry:

and i'm sorry for borknagar too, of course, but it's easier for me, being a fan, to identify myself more with the fans's side than with the band's side in this situation....

Fuck =/... It was like a dream, isn't it? A lot of times i've said to my friends "South America is not ready for this kind of bands, just a few of us can enjoy their music". I want to be wrong about that!!
We will wait, at least i will.

This fucking sucks. Anyway, thanx guys for at least trying it, but it's no surprise that the 'producers' here are a bunch of assholes. Too many times gigs has been cancelled for this reason so I guess I'll need to travel someday to see you live.

Very sorry for both the band and the South American fans... Hope you can reschedule a tour in the near future!

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK

Well, thank you guys for trying. I really hope that someday in the near future you can come here. An advise though, please next time try to schedule everything sooner. Here in south america, this kind of gigs take several months to get well organized. Lots of times there are venue changes and other kind of shit going on. And if you can, bring yourselves a promoter, so you can have everything working on time. We have had the chance to see many bands, but most of them had their tickets on sale up to six months before the gig. I know that this was out of hand this time, but I let you know in case you want to come here in the future.

Thanks again and see you next time.

This fucking sucks. Anyway, thanx guys for at least trying it, but it's no surprise that the 'producers' here are a bunch of assholes. Too many times gigs has been cancelled for this reason so I guess I'll need to travel someday to see you live.

Indeed! This is very sad, but I definitely saw this coming. Living in Latin America myself, I know how the scene works. If such a "small" band as Borknagar gets one show cancelled, it's quite likely that the whole tour will not happen. This is a huge problem here, there're few promoters that are truly professional. As Allfader said, most of them are a bunch of Arschloch. But this was foreseeable, at least for me. I also hope that not many people bought plane tickets (now I'm glad I'm broke… :p), it'd be a pain to get a refund.

But, all is not lost!

I think it's great that the band had this type of initiative (even if it was without Mr V) because as we all know, Bork doesn't tour too much. So the band deserves many kudos for trying to make this happen!!! :headbang::kickass:

I agree with Undefined in that a Canadian/North American tour will be a great option. I believe it's a feasible, reliable option, since most (all?) promoters in Canada are very serious about what they do. It'd be great if the band could play in Montréal, fans are crazy there (very "Latinos" in that sense, unlike the lame Toronto scene).

I know it's difficult, but since the band had everything already arranged for the SA tour, why not make it a North American tour? I know it's not as easy as me writing this post, but think about it: You already have the "permissions/time" (e.g. work, family) back at home (i.e. Norge/US) to do the tour, so why not try to make it a NA one? It'd be difficult, yet I believe achievable.

Cheers! :kickass:

- Daniel

PS: Does this mean the México gig is off too? Since it's not really part of South America (at least to people around here).

Yes this means the Mexico gig is also not going to happen.

Funny you should mention the US because I talked to our NA booking agent a few days ago...tried to save this tour and do something in the states. Our problem there is not enough time to get visas sorted. Trust me...Im in the band and from the US. Its only a matter of time until we tour the states. hahaha...Ive been pushing for it since day 1.
Right now, we have alot of shit to fix since this SA thing isnt happenning. We got fucked over pretty good on this one by this guy who honestly seemed like he was lost when it comes to running shit like this. Sad because I know so many fans were looking forward to this and I know how seriously the fans take concerts and bands down there. Its their lives. So next time, I know for 1 that we will not let anything like this happen again. We all will be meeting up in Oslo in a few weeks to talk over everything and see what the next step is. Its shitty that this tour isnt going to happen...We tried our god damn hardest...I assure you of that.

This is just a ripple in the water for us though....things are really looking up for the future of the band. I wont go into the details because I love pressing all of your buttons with shit like this and getting rumors started but all I can say is that things are going to start happenning. We are playing hardball now. Atleast you guys know that we arent the type of band to cancel tours and shit because of something stupid like the singer has a toothache or the guitarist has a paper cut. We have some really special plans for the setlist that we were going to play in SA and Im sure it will be a part of whatever comes into play down the road on our next mission. We are going to sort out some shit and get this show rolling very soon. Dont worry about that.

Again to the fans in Mexico and SA, we are very sorry but promise next time, we will make sure that things go as planned.

Keep your eyes open for info on what the future holds for Borknagar.....coming soon.

Oh, wow. I feel so bad for you guys. My massive condolences on all of this falling through for you all.

And while I'd like a US tour, I also know that is a greedy thought, and I understand if you can't pull that off. You guys have to do what's best for you.

Dave, thanks for the answer. But i really want to hear that kick ass set list... If it possible in my land with my southamerican brothers. I wish with all my soul to hear it over here, maybe 'cause you made it thinking about playing in SA. I sound like a greedy bastard, i know, but i have a few bands in my list to see before i die (And now i sound very very Emo) and Borknagar is one of those bands.
I hope to hear that set list some day.
Keep the good work guys! Thanks for all.

Yes this means the Mexico gig is also not going to happen.

Funny you should mention the US because I talked to our NA booking agent a few days ago...tried to save this tour and do something in the states. Our problem there is not enough time to get visas sorted. Trust me...Im in the band and from the US. Its only a matter of time until we tour the states. hahaha...Ive been pushing for it since day 1.
Right now, we have alot of shit to fix since this SA thing isnt happenning. We got fucked over pretty good on this one by this guy who honestly seemed like he was lost when it comes to running shit like this. Sad because I know so many fans were looking forward to this and I know how seriously the fans take concerts and bands down there. Its their lives. So next time, I know for 1 that we will not let anything like this happen again. We all will be meeting up in Oslo in a few weeks to talk over everything and see what the next step is. Its shitty that this tour isnt going to happen...We tried our god damn hardest...I assure you of that.

This is just a ripple in the water for us though....things are really looking up for the future of the band. I wont go into the details because I love pressing all of your buttons with shit like this and getting rumors started but all I can say is that things are going to start happenning. We are playing hardball now. Atleast you guys know that we arent the type of band to cancel tours and shit because of something stupid like the singer has a toothache or the guitarist has a paper cut. We have some really special plans for the setlist that we were going to play in SA and Im sure it will be a part of whatever comes into play down the road on our next mission. We are going to sort out some shit and get this show rolling very soon. Dont worry about that.

Again to the fans in Mexico and SA, we are very sorry but promise next time, we will make sure that things go as planned.

Keep your eyes open for info on what the future holds for Borknagar.....coming soon.

Yes, I really have no idea how many problems the cancellation of the tour has caused the band, but I'm pretty sure it's so much rubbish that you want to puke.

Getting a Visa to get into the US is such a bloody hassle, it's ridiculous. I'm glad I'm half Canadian, otherwise I'd never go to the US. Pay $150 just to try to get the Visa? Fuck that I'd rather not go.

Aaaaanyhow, I really must thank you Dave. You've been a breath of fresh air for the band, and I know that a lot of the things happening are, in a great part, because of you. When one keeps doing the same things one stagnates, so the new/different perspective you bring to the band is very welcomed by everyone (fans and the band itself).

Again, it's really sad that the tour got cancelled. I guess this'll count as experience, you've got to be very careful with promoters everywhere, but especially in Latin America. It's a pity, and I hope that the band didn't lose much money and time because of some other idiot.

I can imagine that some of the things happening is a DVD! Hurraaaaah! And also more tours, at least in Europe. This is great, I might be able to see Borknagar sometime! :headbang:

Cheer up guys, the fans are with you!!! :headbang::kickass::Smokin::)

Damn that really sucks, both for the fans and the band. No one's coming out of this one happy. :\ You know what cheers me up in a situation like this though? Depressive suicidal black metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
F*CK!
I was many days without internet coz i was traveling on my holldays, now i read this and...DAMN!... My dream is broken, i dont have any other word to say, im really sad :'(

your mexico gig does still show up in myspace. people who didn't read this thread don't know that it's also cancelled.

edit: feel free to delete this, new blog entry on myspace clears things up