'Borrowed' album/song titles

froghawk

Feb 18, 2006
Let's compile a list:

Orchid: Instrumental from Black Sabbath's Masters of Reality
My Arms, Your Hearse: A line from Comus' Drip Drip
Still Life: Name of an obscure prog band
Blackwater Park: "
For Absent Friends: The first track Phil Collins sang on with Genesis, from Nursery Cryme

Anyone know any others?

I'm sorry for froghawk for trying to think of a good thread and getting this shit thrown in his face.

I can't think of any borrowed names right now though I know there are quite a few. Good thread.

Masters Apprentices- Obscure Australian band

Madrigal- A Rush song from the A Farewell To Kings album

It's hard to say because the fact that things have lots of different sources like Orchid is a flower, and Still Life is an art term.

There's a movie called The Lotus Eaters...
"Still Life" is also an Iron Maiden song; "My arms, your hearse" is from some prog band; "Burden" is a song I wrote a few years ago and played with my band :oops:

Steven Wilson say's Watershed on the making of documentary for Deliverance/Damnation. : P

Amen Corner -late 60's pop/psych band from the UK
King Crimson - no album/song title borrowed, even though KC's "In The Court Of The Crimson King" album's booklet says "an observation by King Crimson", and on the other hand Deliverance, GR, and even Watershed has this type of introduction.
Nektar - german prog rock band, maybe a reference. (Morningrise's is written with a 'c' though)

i wonder if "The Lotus Eater" is a borrowed title..

A rare track from Dead Can Dance, though, like most other exemples here, I wouldn't necessarily bet it was consciously "borrowed" from them.

One thing I know they borrow from lies in some of their booklets in the liner notes, for exemple : "Watershed, An observation by Opeth", which comes from King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King, where the band would refer to their album with this phrase.

EDIT : wow, LeeFH beat me to it 8 minutes in advance :)

A rare track from Dead Can Dance, though, like most other exemples here, I wouldn't necessarily bet it was consciously "borrowed" from them.

One thing I know they borrow from lies in some of their booklets in the liner notes, for exemple : "Watershed, An observation by Opeth", which comes from King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King, where the band would refer to their album with this phrase.

EDIT : wow, LeeFH beat me to it 8 minutes in advance :)

"Observation" is used on multiple Opeth albums...