Brewing

Maybe I should go into cider. I don't like the stuff you can get here and miss the continental (sour) style of cider. Will need to research that. So far I suspect I will need a press to get me anywhere.

Anything before drinking Magners or any pear cider :yuk:

Maybe I should go into cider. I don't like the stuff you can get here and miss the continental (sour) style of cider. Will need to research that. So far I suspect I will need a press to get me anywhere.

Anything before drinking Magners or any pear cider :yuk:

My wife got her cider recepie from here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16441/16441-8.txt

It reads:

APPLE DRINK WITH SUGAR, HONEY, &c

A very pleasant drink is made of Apples, thus; Boil sliced Apples in water, to make the water strong of Apples, as when you make to drink it for coolness and pleasure. Sweeten it with Sugar to your tast, such a quantity of sliced Apples, as would make so much water strong enough of Apples; and then bottle it up close for three or four months. There will come a thick mother at the top, which being taken off, all the rest will be very clear, and quick and pleasant to the taste, beyond any Cider. It will be the better to most taste, if you put a very little Rosemary into the liquor, when you boil it, and a little Limon-peel into each bottle, when you bottle it up.

Thanks for the website gnoff- . I am also visiting forums on http://www.brew-it-yourself.co.uk for more tips, before I decide on what hardware or ingredients to buy

My wife got her cider recepie from here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16441/16441-8.txt

It reads:

APPLE DRINK WITH SUGAR, HONEY, &c

A very pleasant drink is made of Apples, thus; Boil sliced Apples in water, to make the water strong of Apples, as when you make to drink it for coolness and pleasure. Sweeten it with Sugar to your tast, such a quantity of sliced Apples, as would make so much water strong enough of Apples; and then bottle it up close for three or four months. There will come a thick mother at the top, which being taken off, all the rest will be very clear, and quick and pleasant to the taste, beyond any Cider. It will be the better to most taste, if you put a very little Rosemary into the liquor, when you boil it, and a little Limon-peel into each bottle, when you bottle it up.

Ah, apparently the problem is what apples... An Asturian website on cider lists something like 20 local varieties alone...As for sugar, I am still traumatised when I tried cider in the US. That is why I cannot even drink Kopparberg.

Still, that should keep me busy.

Thanks for the website gnoff- . I am also visiting forums on http://www.brew-it-yourself.co.uk for more tips, before I decide on what hardware or ingredients to buy

Ah, apparently the problem is what apples... An Asturian website on cider lists something like 20 local varieties alone...As for sugar, I am still traumatised when I tried cider in the US. That is why I cannot even drink Kopparberg.

Still, that should keep me busy.

No problem :)

About sugar -
Substitute with honey instead, or some nice not so processed sugar like kandi.
Or use molasses.

It's fun to experiment :)

My vanilla beer and my nettle beer wasn't very appriceated by the test subjects, it did give me some fun moments though :lol:

No problem :)

It's fun to experiment :)

My vanilla beer and my nettle beer wasn't very appriceated by the test subjects, it did give me some fun moments though :lol:

There is a commercially available banana beer that is absolutely vomit inducing:puke: but sells well so some people may like it. My local is the oldest working pub in Scotland and has this selection of micro-brews, some of which sound plain bonkers. (Although skull splitter and algae bitter is nicer than you could expect)

About experimenting... already tried it with food with mixed results. My smoked sheeps' cheese ice-cream with quince jelly, caramelised walnuts and sloe gin syrup was not hugely popular either, but I would probably do it all over again just to scare more people. :heh:

yeah and????????????

WHAT KIND??!!??!! Don't leave us in suspense here.

Tell us all the yummy goodness details......

15 liter batch that came out about 1067 degree Oeschle

Started out with 18 liters of water, about 2.85 kg of mixed honey and 50 grams of raissins.

When boiling added 26 grams of Saaz hops, 1 teaspoon of ground pommerance peels, 5 cloves and the grated peels of 2 lemons.

Boiled for about one hour before I cooled it, added oxygen and then some yeast I used for an APA beer earlier. Yeast is a Safale US-05.
Only removed some of the hops before fermentation, not all of it.

I added the yeast about 90 minutes ago, it's already started fermenting :)

Base recepie was from 1750, Swedish, I can't follow recepies though, so a few twists of my own.

Been preparing the next brew, time on Saturday.

Will be a smoked porter, have crushed 1kg of smoked malt in 50g portions using a small blender, therapy work that is :lol:

Also did some cold mashing of my black and dark brown malts.

Last batch of scrumpy I made is about ready now I think. Weeeeeeee.

I am looking to make continental cider (flat and quite tart, like fermented apple juice), but I'd like to see a few home recipes before I get started. . Pwetty Pwease could you pm or post it? *battering eyelashes*

Along with what apple varieties you used. Unless it is a secret. Because I am struggling to find any Gezamina, Patzolua or Urdin varieties in the UK, which is what the current recipe I have calls for. :cry:

I am looking to make continental cider (flat and quite tart, like fermented apple juice), but I'd like to see a few home recipes before I get started. . Pwetty Pwease could you pm or post it? *battering eyelashes*

Along with what apple varieties you used. Unless it is a secret. Because I am struggling to find any Gezamina, Patzolua or Urdin varieties in the UK, which is what the current recipe I have calls for. :cry:

Really don't know what the apples are chief, sorry; they're outa mine and my mates garden. My mum might know what they are. We also didn't really use any recipe, just experimented. 20l of water + all the apples we could find (filled container up to around 25l). Apples were sliced then crushed before adding. Asides that just put in 5kg of sugar and a packet of champagne yeast then left it at around 22C for a month or so. Worked out pretty well. I'd recommend distilling some of it too, thought I wouldn't advise doing it the way we did. :p

Image014.jpg

Image013.jpg

Image012.jpg

Deaded apples. : D