Bringing Opeth to the Rialto.

Abou

Prog Warrior
Aug 31, 2003
abou.heliologue.com
So Opeth is coming on tour in the US soon and by all apperances they enjoy playing in the smaller venues.

I was thinking over this and how cool it will be to see them in concert realtively soon and in such a personal hall. The closest one to us is the House of Blues which is a kick ass place - my home is in Joliet, IL which is about 40 minutes south of Chicago. Then I thought of the Rialto; a splendid forum for the arts.

See, the Rialto is an awsome place and one that has slowly suffered loss of use as time went by. But now, as Joliet is on the upswing once again the Rialto is gaining attention and I thought of how awsome it would be to have Opeth - or any band for that matter - perform at sucha great place. And considering all the bands and people who have performed there in its at least 100 year history it would only be fitting.

So my question is, how do I go about bringing Opeth to the Rialto?

Abou said:
So Opeth is coming on tour in the US soon and by all apperances they enjoy playing in the smaller venues.

I was thinking over this and how cool it will be to see them in concert realtively soon and in such a personal hall. The closest one to us is the House of Blues which is a kick ass place - my home is in Joliet, IL which is about 40 minutes south of Chicago. Then I thought of the Rialto; a splendid forum for the arts.

See, the Rialto is an awsome place and one that has slowly suffered loss of use as time went by. But now, as Joliet is on the upswing once again the Rialto is gaining attention and I thought of how awsome it would be to have Opeth - or any band for that matter - perform at sucha great place. And considering all the bands and people who have performed there in its at least 100 year history it would only be fitting.

So my question is, how do I go about bringing Opeth to the Rialto?

I'd be all for it, except I have no idea how that would come to pass.

Why don't you email their manager (Andy Farrow) and tell him why you think the Rialto would be a good venue for them to play at.
I suggested the Fillmore a couple of times to the band and they played there with Porcupine Tree recently (although they may have also gotten suggestions from PT as they had played there about 8 months before, not to mention the Fillmore is legendary) and drew quite a good crowd (I think around 1300...most of whom were there for Opeth because once they were done playing, a lot of the crowd left). Part of the reason why I think they were able to play there is because they've consistently sold out smaller venues in San Fransisco so they knew they'd have a reason to play a larger place. So, I think the most important thing to consider before contacting the manager is whether or not they will draw the people to the club.

Thank you for the info Triste. I guess what I will end up doing then is when I go home for Thanksgiving break, I will contact the Rialto and Andy Farrow as well as see if I can find some info on attendance around the area.

It should be intersting.

It'll never happen. The Rialto is currently only dealing with family-friendly affairs. My mother is going there twice this week, once tonight for Three Mo' Tenors and on Friday for An Evening With Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood. About as rockin' as the Rialto gets is Huey Lewis & The News (November 23rd), who, coincidentally, I'd rather like to see.

House of Blues is the only forum for which a metal act would be appropriate. Rialto doesn't have the sound system, the seating arrangement, or the tolerance for cigarettes and alcohol that are prerequisites for an Opeth concert.

heliotrope said:
It'll never happen. The Rialto is currently only dealing with family-friendly affairs. My mother is going there twice this week, once tonight for Three Mo' Tenors and on Friday for An Evening With Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood. About as rockin' as the Rialto gets is Huey Lewis & The News (November 23rd), who, coincidentally, I'd rather like to see.

House of Blues is the only forum for which a metal act would be appropriate. Rialto doesn't have the sound system, the seating arrangement, or the tolerance for cigarettes and alcohol that are prerequisites for an Opeth concert.
Damn, I forgot about all that stuff.

Well, I guess I can still try and see what happens. Opeth uses amps anyways, but the family-friendly thing will be the kicker.

Hopefully, intoxication will be something that most fans can get over.