Burden Ending - Out of Tune Guitar

Metamyr

Feb 7, 2006
Minnesota, USA
www.clanmyr.com
First of all, I'd like to say Burden is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. The vocals are astonishing, the melody is dark and eerie, and I don't think I've ever been so taken back by a song at the first listen.

With that said, I was a bit perturbed by the way the song ends. I found it slightly intriguing the first listen, but I expected it to go somewhere (like come back into tune or something), but instead it just cuts out into the evil laugh (which i did enjoy).

Now, I just find myself hitting the next button as soon as the song nears an end so I don't have to listen to it. It was a creative idea, but I don't know it quite worked in the context of such a beautiful/melodic song.

These are just my thoughts and ideas. I love the album overall, and realize that Opeth has the right to any artistic direction they please. With that said, what is everyone else's thoughts and ideas on this?

It's a good ending...

FOR ME TO POOP ON!

Love the song, the ending is a bit annoying, but forgivable.

Opeth can end songs amazingly... see Credence, Demon of the Fall, Heir Apparent, Dirge for November, To Bid you Farewell, Atonement and Bleak for a few references and goddamit, did they make a shit ending here.

It is annoying as fuck and adds nothing to the music. Not to complain, but it's a genius song ruined by some random acoustic riff with no tuning.

Its totally necessary.

Not only does it add to the haunting vibe of the album but it sets the atmosphere for Porcelain Heart which happens to open up with a doomy ass riff.

Its genius.

The first time I heard Watershed (hypothetically, of course, I am reading into the future...) the end of Burden blew me away. What a beautiful addition to an amazing track. I think it is brilliant. It contrasts wonderfully with the heaviness of the beginning of Porcelain Heart. Like Mikael said once before, it will be a love-hate album for some!

Incidentally, many acquaintances of mine share your feelings. They skip that part too!
(this is a guess, of course...considering I have never heard Watershed, and will not until it is released. who is Opeth again?)

Maybe, I sorta felt as if it wasn't going anywhere though...

What if he had slowly tuned the melody into a really dark eerie sounding acoustic tune?

Theres enough acoustic stuff going on already throughout the album.

At first, I was very skeptical about the detuning.

After listening through the album more times it became clearer why it was put there.

Its a ballad sandwiched in between a bunch of evil sounding songs.

Its a reason why Watershed is their most progressive album and also why its also a big love/hate record.

You know, i dont blame you for hating that part, but when i hear that part (hypothetically) i smile because i know that no matter how huge Opeth gets, Mikael will always have parts like this in the music, because he has nobody to impress or please, and thats why Opeth is great.

You know, i dont blame you for hating that part, but when i hear that part (hypothetically) i smile because i know that no matter how huge Opeth gets, Mikael will always have parts like this in the music, because he has nobody to impress or please, and thats why Opeth is great.

+1

You're a big fan of Morningrise arent you

Actually, I think when he wrote that part he was thinking to himself "I bet all the UM Opeth fanboys will lap this up"

It's also quite impressive that Opeth doesn't actually record anymore, Mikael just types a bunch of 1s and 0s into his computer and saves it to .mp3 and this is what we get.

It would be interesting to see if they did it using some computer program or just got 3 sets of hands to manually downtune the guitar while Mike was playing.