Burden Ending - Out of Tune Guitar

You know, I almost kind of hoped to hear strings flapping against the fretboard due to super low tuning. I also thought, maybe they'll start cutting them right off the guitar.... that would sound interesting.

I haven't gotten Watershed yet, but after reading through 5 pages of this discussion, I got really curious and checked out the song on youtube, and here is my opinion:

The song was really good. The weird thing was that it was so untraditional for Opeth, but it would have been a 'normal' song for any other band. Great solos too!

As for the ending? Sorry, those who disapprove of it, but I love it. I was a bit sceptical to it at first, as atonality is something that either works very good or very bad (still can't stand the solo in 21st Century Schizoid Man by King Crimson). This one worked great. What a fantastic and weird way to end a song!

I absolutely love it! The main body of the song is like a delicate rose blooming on a warm, breezy spring day...and then that part comes in and the rose is slowly wilting in the oppressive heat, and it's finally stepped on and smashed the fuck into the dirt by a big-ass motherfucking boot :heh:

I found myself sort of bummed by it at first because I thought the guitar part was pretty, and I was enjoying it and wanted it to go on. But then, I grew to appreciate it. It reminds me of the inscription to the book, "House of Leaves": this is not for you. I don't have Opeth in my pocket. And when I accept that, and sort of follow their lead (or Mike's), I'll get it.

What I get from it is disintegration. It's like a still life of rotten fruit. Not beautiful, but it tells a story. All beauty fades. Innocence is corrupted. Aren't these the kind of themes Watershed is built around?

Furthermore, Fred does a great job of detuning, so that as it falls apart, there are moments where it sounds nearly like it's morphed into some new tonality. Kind of a cool listen if you let yourself go.

Kind of reminiscent of the end of "Friends" on Led Zep III, actually.

well said. how is the book "house of leaves"? ive heard about this book numerous times.

well said. how is the book "house of leaves"? ive heard about this book numerous times.

I love it. But maybe the inscription should be "This is not for everyone". Some people think it's pretentious as fuck, which it is, I suppose. But, then again, I like pretentious as fuck stuff (see: Opeth). If you're up for something different, it's worth the effort. If you're the kind of person that can appreciate the end of "Burden", then you may be on the way to liking this book. If you can't handle, what? 15 seconds of weirdness? You won't be able to handle this book.

I love it. But maybe the inscription should be "This is not for everyone". Some people think it's pretentious as fuck, which it is, I suppose. But, then again, I like pretentious as fuck stuff (see: Opeth). If you're up for something different, it's worth the effort. If you're the kind of person that can appreciate the end of "Burden", then you may be on the way to liking this book. If you can't handle, what? 15 seconds of weirdness? You won't be able to handle this book.

lol, sounds like a good book. i will definetly check it out!

It's definately one fo the most unique books I've read - it's the only book that I've seen that utilizes the "book medium" to the maximum. It's more than just reading words on a page - it's an experience. Sometimes a hard one, but definately worthwile.

What I get from it is disintegration. It's like a still life of rotten fruit. Not beautiful, but it tells a story. All beauty fades. Innocence is corrupted. Aren't these the kind of themes Watershed is built around?

I couldn't have said it better.
up.gif

I think the end is awesome... except for the weird laugh.. they should have left that bit out i reckon

But i think the whole slowly going of tune acoustic riff is a really creative idea.. i've never heard anything like that before.

Random: As it starts going out of tune, you hear little creeks that i think are the machine heads being turned... has anyone else noticed them? (sorry if this has already been discussed, i've not properly checked, just ignore this if so...)

I too skip that part. It was cool to hear once, but it's something that would be more interesting live than on album... If the guys walked over and detuned his guitar while they were playing live, that would have been great to witness. It's not fun to listen to a lot.

I personally thought it was a great idea. It sounded haunting and added to the atmosphere of the album. Personally, being a musician, I found it interesting to hear how the riff changed a little bit each time. Personally I think a lot of Opeth fans are too finicky and picky.