Burden Ending - Out of Tune Guitar

The first few times I listened to Burden, I thought that Mike had finally decided to do a proper metal power ballad in the best Whitesnake tradition..and I really didn't like it much...until the end part which I wasn't expecting at all. That's what I like about Opeth, the surprise factor..now I think it fit's in with the whole feel of the album very well.

art1.jpg

Do you call that art? Yes, it's a set of three blank canvases. 'Art' being sold for money. What is artistic about it? Oh sure, you could say "it brings up the notion of emptiness, of nothingness". I would tell you, "Lol". There is this modern tendency to pass off lazy works or shockingly different works as art. That is, in my opinion, utter bullshit. Now, I don't value technical proficiency above artistic value, but since the latter is subjective, and the former is not, I find it hard to believe that these so-called 'artists' spend any more than a few minutes contemplating these works of 'expression', which usually amount to little more than splotches of paint. No, I definitely won't be 'open minded' and pay 600$ dollars for a blank piece of canvas.

You obviously forgot that there can be good art and shit art, of which the above falls into the latter.

Heh, in the same interview I mentioned, they also talk about the laughter at the end of Burden. Apparently, it is really Mikael laughing, because of Fredrik tripping over one of the guitar cables :)

May I ask you where did you find this interview? I googled it but couldn't find anything related. =/

People here are so damn egotistical. If you didn't like it, fine. But calling it shit is really insulting to the band. And the question isn't 'How does it affect Burden?' but 'How does it affect Watershed?' Remember this is Opeth, who don't release a bunch of songs, but rather an album. My first impression on seeing the cover artwork and that inside the booklet was of a person being weighed down, alone, with the world on his shoulders simply wanting to escape. And from this stated section, I see this person alone in darkness having some fun with his writing. I'm sure Mike has come across ideas like this before and rejected them, but now wants to express what he is truly feeling in his expression. I dunno, I still need to give it time. But don't say it's shit; to me that's what this album is attacking in the first place. Fans expecting the world from somebody who owes them nothing..

I think the end of Burden is great.It's classic Opeth-even when they're playing accoustics they can still make a song sound really disturbing and evil.

While on the topic of Burden, just thought I'd mention that it's haunting me. I've have it stuck in my head permanently for some reason. I was even waking up throughout last night with it playing in my head.

And yes, the down tuning plays too, with the laugh. Thanks for that one Mike :Smug:

i love the ending just because it's a big fuck you to all of the fans who feel that it's 'their' music and not mikael's

and it's a good transition into porcelain heart and it just represents much of what opeth is. the shifting dynamics from beautiful to bleak and dark is just perfect

i think i commented on this thred before but i just wanted to give my opinion once more, that i love the burden outtro, and i didn't grow to like it, i liked it the first time i heard the song, it actually made sense to me and imo the perfect ending to the song, and mike's laugh at the end is awesome. the laugh can be interpreted different ways and i think it's silly that so many ppl are analyzing the whole detuned guitar part so meticulously. like mike said in the interviews on the rr website, he intended for such a beautiful song to become fucked-up, and i totally love that. i don't think opeth's songs are that hard to get into, but then again opeth is all i listen to, and i don't have a life so all i do is listen to music. ok i better stop now

It's not as bad as the ending to Reverie/Harlequin Forest, but it's still pretty annoying.

To me the de-tuning makes it sound evil, icing on the cake type of thing...like Credence or Epilogue. It's too bad some people don't like it cause there's nothing worse than a bad ending.

And I agree. Modern art doesn't do anything for me. Go to Italy or Paris, that's where the real art is!

Fred is de-tuning the tuning pegs as Mike plays it. It's not smug. Just an idea. Structurally, it's an interesting idea and one which fits the overall mood and flow of the album.

People are fine not to like it. People are fine to like it. Personally, I think it's a brilliant way to spoil a beautiful song.
Truth.

To me the de-tuning makes it sound evil, icing on the cake type of thing...like Credence or Epilogue.

dunno so much about credence (although i love the song), i dunno if that really fits in, but epilogue, omg, has been one one of my most fave opeth tracks since the first time i heard it, i always love a good instrumental, and i just realized that it does kinda have a similarity to the ending of heir apparent,. some of opeth's most brilliant moments include their epic song endings... deliverance, fair judgement, harlequin forest... and burden, of course. i have always admired mikael's songwriting and composing skills and he only seems to get better with age.

I love the ending, if you play songs on shuffle I can understand why it would be annoying though. I always listen by album personally. I love the fact that if you listen carefully, you can hear the strings slipping through the nut as the pegs are being turned :D