Burden - stunning song!

Alcapoth

S t a r E
Apr 27, 2002
ON, Canada
Visit site
I haven't been posting up on these boards all too much anymore but just had to state one thing;

Mike has probably written one of the FINEST songs of his career in my opinion. Not only is it in my opinion the BEST song off the new album - watershed - I feel it is the BEST clean song Opeth has ever created and one of the best songs from Opeth.

Geez, I was just blown away by its brilliance, emotion and POWERFUL outro...so moving I can't begin to describe truly what I felt into words. The soloing, lyrics, Mike's BEST vocal performance I have ever heard and just everything...it's the perfect song and it's at the perfect length. Nothing is overdone, nothing is out of place. It's just one hell of a terrific song!

:headbang: Cheers to Mike for the inspiration.

Yeah, definitely an interesting song. I remember never really liking this kind of power ballad kind of music, but Mike has done it so well, he's made me reconsider, hehe.
I agree, it's one of Opeth's most melodic, beautiful songs ever, yet in my opinion their finest clean song is either A Fair Judgement or Windowpane.

Burden is also my favorite track on WS but I think people will flame you since their are already many other burden threads :)

I hated it so much at first. I love it now. It didn't really grow on me or anything, just one time I listened to it and it clicked.

It definitely is a masterpiece. It really reminds me of Kansas and some other Classic Rock bands. I thank God for Mikael Akerfeldt everyday, haha! The guy is a musical genius, and I hate that he doesn't get the respect he deserves.

It definitely is a masterpiece. It really reminds me of Kansas and some other Classic Rock bands. I thank God for Mikael Akerfeldt everyday, haha! The guy is a musical genius, and I hate that he doesn't get the respect he deserves.

i lol'd cuz i read this sentence and then saw your sig

didn't quite 'get' it at first, but now it has kinda grown on me massively. the guitar duel solo thing leading to the harmonized epilogue-esque end is really good. best ballad since face of melinda.

ummm, well here's the thing. i now like Burden, but it's definitely a guilty pleasure in the sense that it's an overblown powerballad. Other Opeth ballads have a real emotional punch, they tend to drip with a moving melancholy that descends and takes hold (Hope Leaves, Face of Melinda). This is more of a showy prog-band ballad. I do now enjoy it, genuinely, but it's not going to find a place in my heart like, say, To Bid You Farewell.

ummm, well here's the thing. i now like Burden, but it's definitely a guilty pleasure in the sense that it's an overblown powerballad. Other Opeth ballads have a real emotional punch, they tend to drip with a moving melancholy that descends and takes hold (Hope Leaves, Face of Melinda). This is more of a showy prog-band ballad. I do now enjoy it, genuinely, but it's not going to find a place in my heart like, say, To Bid You Farewell.

Well, Mike did say that his intention was to write a huge, overblown ballad.

At first, I didn't really "get it" either, but now I can't get the song out of my head! I adore the "jam" in the middle of the song, and the lyrics are catchy as hell. Burden has become another WS favorite, after TLE of course :)

Hmmm, didn't realize the song would be so popular. I guess I should have looked around but I figured if it wasn't on the first page maybe it would be ok (plus, give me a break - it's my first thread in like a year).

fps: Hehe, maybe so but I think I actually prefer it over To Bid You Farewell. Actually, yes I do hehe. It's just so warm and those incredible bluesy solos in the middle.

Here's what I REALLY loved about the song - the FLOW! Like I said before, flawless in execution. I love how Mike hums that beautiful melody at 3:36 which is then followed by the solos and then - the kicker! The guitar plays the melody Mike previously hummed in such elegant fashion...this is just such good stuff.

Lastly, I'll go as far as to say Mike just - JUST - may have topped Deep Purple's Soldier of Fortune with this one.

Shredzilla: Exactly! :) Deep Purple would be another example hehe.

In any case, it's very good to see this song getting such an incredible response.

EDIT:: Ever Dying: Great...after clicking that link I realized what a mistake I have made with this thread haha. Aargh.