Burzum - Belus (aka "Den Hvite Guden") (2010)

So the best three tracks in no order are IMO:

Belus Doed
Glemselens Elv
Belus Tilbakekomst

Just started listening to the new album and all I can say is... he can still fucking scream! Alright, well I have more to say, but w/e. I was surprised. You'd think years in the can would deteriorate such abilities. Sure it's not the same as Filosofem, but on the other hand he even said that was an accident.

As for the guitar work, so far it's exactly what I expected and even a bit better. The quality is top notch, with his guitar work just getting better. Wow... just wow. We couldn't ask for more.

Wasn't Uruk-Hai supposed to be on this album but under a different name? Which track is it? My guess would be Sverddans as it seems out of place when compared to the rest of the songs..but does anyone know?

EDIT: I never listened to Burzum's ambient albums, but I just read that the track Belus Doed is just a black metal version of Daudi Baldrs (youtubing it right now..it's pretty spot on, but the ambient version is god awful hahaha)

Fuck, this is so much better than I thought it would be :kickass:

I'd agree with you on Sverddans being Uruk-Hai as well, it seems much more balls out than the rest. Reminds me quite a lot of War.

First impression puts this well above the debut, and likely to surpass DSEV with further listens. Not even close to HLTO and Filosofem, though.

Im split on this one so far. My impressions after a second listen is as follow:

1. Leukes Renkespill (Introduksjon)

Not much to say. Not a song just something to start the album.

2. Belus' Død

This one is alright. I like the intro melody even if it does sound a little bit old and tired. Nothing super good but definately not bad either. I do have a feeling that this song might grow on me in time though. I dont think the verse riff is strong enough to be repeated as much as it is though.

3. Glemselens Elv

I really like this one. Good atmosphere. Sadly the clean vocals destroy this one somewhat because they are so out of pitch at times. I cringe when I hear that :( It doesnt ruin the whole thing though. Overall really good song.

4. Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning

I think this one is alright. Im not a big fan of the verse but the chorus is pretty nice. The third fourth of the song is really nice as well. Overall ok but nothing special. I would have re-written the verse for sure.

5. Sverddans

This track sound kind of comical on a Burzum album. It sounds like some amateur trying to write a thrash track. He could have scrapped this track easily and I for one wouldnt miss it at all. Awful!

6. Keliohesten

This puts the album back on track. The main riff melody gives me a feeling that makes me associate it with Darkthrones “en vind av sorg” from panzerfaust. Pretty straight forward throughout but I like it.

7. Morgenrøde

I like this song. Slower just like I generally prefer my Burzum to be. More atmosphere that way. I especially like the ending.

8. Belus' Tilbakekomst (Konklusjon)

This together with “glemselens elv” are probably my two favorite tracks on this album. If the whole album was as good as this is it would for sure be one of the top albums of 2010. Sadly I don’t think the whole album lives up to this standard.

Overall I would say Im satisfied but not completely happy. Especially Sverddans is awful to my ears. Id say the second half of the album is the stronger half although there is good stuff on the first half as well.

Standout tracks: Glemselens elv and Belus’ Tilbakekomst
Worst track: Sverddans