Car Audio

amonamarth10

Nov 9, 2004
Whats the best brand of speakers for listening to death/black/doom metal in the car? Also, whats the best deck?

I'm partial to rockford fosgate speakers. As far as decks go... Sony's are cheap and work alright. There are many better decks of course.

Most mp3 decks still need a cd for mp3s... you burn them on as mp3s and essentially can fit more...and sound quality goes down dramitcally.

Boston acoustic speakers are AWESOME but cost an arm and a leg...plus your left kidney and first child.

Krigloch the Furious said:
how about a deck you can plug an mp3 player into......??
I know Sony makes a few decent ones, but if you get any deck that has an aux input, you can hook up your mp3 player.

If you have an iPod you might as well get the iTrip. Program a station to play anything from your iPod.

My current set up is:
-208W Sony cd/wma/mp3 with sub/amp/amp outputs and an auxillary input
-1000w amp and two 10" fosgate P1's
-stock front component speakers and
-Alpine, R-type, 6 1/2" components

It sounds NICE.

I got the Pioneer 3700 deck and it sounds great! I never knew how loud my stock speakers could get. I can't wait to get new speakers and an amp. Should I get the amp first? Also what kind of amp should I get for around 150$?

150 is low end... you can't get shit w/o installing it yourself.

Subs make a HUGE difference. Just some mild subs with a 500 watt amp can make a world of difference. Especially, if you have a good high pass filter on the head unit. I have a variable high pass and low pass filter on my deck so my door speakers can concentrate on making clear higher frequency sound and let the subs handle all the power sucking lows.

what is your budget?
If you're rolling in it I'd say Eclipse head units (or higher end Alpine), Eclipse, JL Audio or Crossfire amps, DynAudio, Focal, or higher end MB Quart separates for the fronts and RE XXX or Adire Audio Brahma (you don't need anything larger than a 12 for subs).

and yeah the Alpine subs are nice for the price.

Thraxz said:
150 is low end... you can't get shit w/o installing it yourself.

Subs make a HUGE difference. Just some mild subs with a 500 watt amp can make a world of difference. Especially, if you have a good high pass filter on the head unit. I have a variable high pass and low pass filter on my deck so my door speakers can concentrate on making clear higher frequency sound and let the subs handle all the power sucking lows.

On that note, you don't need any bigger than 10" subs for metal, 2 x 10 inch is a good setup, you need them smaller for the response aspect, only bother with 12-15" if you like all that homie shit.

FluffyDonkey said:
On that note, you don't need any bigger than 10" subs for metal, 2 x 10 inch is a good setup, you need them smaller for the response aspect, only bother with 12-15" if you like all that homie shit.

I disagree 12" are pick up the bass guitar with a better curve. 10's usually pick up only the middle of the bass range and it sounds weird when the bass gets quieter the lower they go. I've tried this on several cars with 10's and it never quite works right. The 12's seem to be more consistent.

Thraxz said:
I disagree 12" are pick up the bass guitar with a better curve. 10's usually pick up only the middle of the bass guitar range and it sounds weird when the bass gets quieter the lower they go. I've tried this on several cars with 10's and it never quite works right. The 12's seem to be more consistent.
Depends on how much distortion your 10s could handle in the first place. What did you get that wasn't so consistent?

Christie_fell said:
Depends on how much distortion your 10s could handle in the first place. What did you get that wasn't so consistent?

The higher frequencies picked up really well on 'em. But, as the frequencies dropped, so did the volume of the sound. That is the nature of 10's. 12's have a better response lower down in the hearable range.

Distortion isn't the problem. It's totally the peak frequency senstivity of the sub. 12's is lower than 10's. My bandpass box makes it worse but... not THAT much worse.(I've checked on this stuff)