Car Audio

Just got new front speakers today: 6.5 Boston Acoustic NX 67s. They sound great, but the whole system is costing me an arm and a leg. So far I've spent 430$ on just the deck and the front speakers(installation and wires included in that price). I still have to buy an amp(Alpine 4 channel 360w) with is going to run me about 390(with installation and wires) and rear speakers, which will cost me about 270(Boston Acoustic NX 97). Its going to all come out to 1090 dollars. damn. thats hard when you only make 87 dollars a week. How much did you guys spend on your systems? Am I spending to much, or too little, or just enough?

Also if Im running a 50x4 watt deck, would I be able to power the 6x9s and the 6.5s well or would the amp be a must? I cant get everything at once because I dont have teh money, so Im wondering if I should get the rear speakers first or the amp?

Thraxz said:
The higher frequencies picked up really well on 'em. But, as the frequencies dropped, so did the volume of the sound. That is the nature of 10's. 12's have a better response lower down in the hearable range.

Distortion isn't the problem. It's totally the peak frequency senstivity of the sub. 12's is lower than 10's. My bandpass box makes it worse but... not THAT much worse.(I've checked on this stuff)

What i meant by response is they can handle a faster tempo of kick pedal, if you have a 56 bpb double kick 2 10's well tuned will do it much better than a 12, a 12 will put heaps of substance in it but if you listen to crazy fast metal then go for some 10's.

amonamarth10 said:
Just got new front speakers today: 6.5 Boston Acoustic NX 67s. They sound great, but the whole system is costing me an arm and a leg. So far I've spent 430$ on just the deck and the front speakers(installation and wires included in that price). I still have to buy an amp(Alpine 4 channel 360w) with is going to run me about 390(with installation and wires) and rear speakers, which will cost me about 270(Boston Acoustic NX 97). Its going to all come out to 1090 dollars. damn. thats hard when you only make 87 dollars a week. How much did you guys spend on your systems? Am I spending to much, or too little, or just enough?

Well first off congrats on your front speakers and deck. Is there anyway you can get someone to help you do the install other than the shop? It'll save you some $$$ (since most installers do shit work IMO. It's not their car so why should they care?). It just takes some elbow grease and some common sense (wire color codes.. blue to blue..etc). Plus you'll be learning as you go. On your current budget it would be an option to explore.

amonamarth10 said:
Also if Im running a 50x4 watt deck, would I be able to power the 6x9s and the 6.5s well or would the amp be a must? I cant get everything at once because I dont have teh money, so Im wondering if I should get the rear speakers first or the amp?

Your deck will probably do fine with those speakers for the time being. But getting an amp will have them run to their full potential. But keep in mind that the 4x50W is peak power. Realistically your deck is putting out maybe 22W average (RMS).[/quote]

IMO I wouldn't worry about getting rear fill speakers since you will run into problems with imaging. Rears aren't necessary... stereo is 2 channels (Left and Right). So my advice is to get a 2 channel amp run the fronts, or run the speakers off the deck (it will do fine for the time being). Doing this will save you money that can put into a monoblock amp and subs. You don't need rears unless you want to get some midbass... which your factory rears will do just fine (100Hz-200Hz range).

You might want to try some other message boards for car audio. Car Audio Forum is pretty good. Give them a try.

So in short:

1. Install yourself or get someone to help you install
2. Run speakers off the deck for now (since $$ is tight)
3. Don’t worry about rears (imaging problems and your factory speakers are just fine)
4. Use money saved to get a sub and amp (I recommend the JBL BP600.1 amp and Alpine Type R subs for your budget)

Thanks Forbidden, I'm going to leave the back speakers alone for now, and get that amp, cause I'm getting a real low sound from the new front speakers and a very loud sound from the rears. Do the think the amp will fix this?

Those boston acoustics were made to handle up to 160W and your deck pushes maybe 25W RMS to it, so an amp would bea good idea if you want to get the most of it. A decent 2 channel shouldn't be too expensive either (2X50W RMS will be fine) But this this amp looks like a pretty good deal for running the fronts (provided you know someone who can help with install and setup). 2x125 to those speakers would run those speakers nicely :)

EDIT:I also found the JBL BP600.1 for about $175 Here . It's a killer amp for the price. Clean and and fairly conservatively rated. It's more than enough for most subs.

here's what i have:

pioneer deh-p7600mp deck
hifonics zeus z4000 amp
2 10" kicker comp vr subs

this is in a 2002 dodge durango.

i really need to get some money together to get some comps and to run my spare amp that i've got sitting around (old school Clarion 4 channel, been in 3 cars with no problems). i've got enough bass for now. it's to the point that it's obnoxious outside of the car and it hits really well inside. my stock door speakers are my bottleneck for now. i'd kind of like to go to 12's, but i'm not sure if they could keep up with a lot of the stuff i listen to.

when i had my 5.0 mustang, you could hear the stereo in it from over 2 blocks away. it'd make your vision all fuzzy and vibrate the cars that were next to me.

E6V6I6L said:
when i had my 5.0 mustang, you could hear the stereo in it from over 2 blocks away. it'd make your vision all fuzzy and vibrate the cars that were next to me.

I can already tell that I hate you.

7679.jpg

Pioneer DEHP470 CD/MP3/WMA/WAV

AW101T.jpg

2 12" Audiobahn AW121T Flame Excursion Subwoofers

1102990768122_BX1000DSIDE.jpg

Hifonics Brutus BX1000D mono amp.

Metal blast from this 90% of the time so its all tuned for metal. :headbang:

Also in total I spent roughly 600 bucks.