Car Thread

So GM finally unveiled pictures of the new mid-engine Corvette.

67071115_10157297887202296_817879966363418624_n.png

Looks okay but it's just not a vette anymore without that long mean cowl that every model to date has had. Looks way to italian for my taste. It's like the car has lost it's soul

I think it looks great, but only if I don't look at it as a Vette. Thinking of it as a Vette kind of ruins it. That said, a mid-engine car with that kind of power and with that price-tag? Pretty sick.

I think GM is once again pinning their hopes on this one will be the one that gets them into the European market, but that's not going to happen. After the car clears EU auto import tariffs, it loses the price point it's got in the US, and it still has that American connotation to it. The muscle car lovers over here won't go for it though.

Reactions: Dak
I think it looks great, but only if I don't look at it as a Vette. Thinking of it as a Vette kind of ruins it. That said, a mid-engine car with that kind of power and with that price-tag? Pretty sick.

I think GM is once again pinning their hopes on this one will be the one that gets them into the European market, but that's not going to happen. After the car clears EU auto import tariffs, it loses the price point it's got in the US, and it still has that American connotation to it. The muscle car lovers over here won't go for it though.

"American connotation" amongst people who know cars(most people who will be buying a vette) is not a negative. It's actually a positive. I bet those are the same people who still think german cars are reliable or something? People around the world have been dying for American performance and have been chopping off arms and legs to import modern american muscle cars out there. It's the reasons that GM and Ford have not only started selling the Camaro and Mustang in places like europe and the middle east, but have special packages that are even exclusive in just those areas. Shit, we've had Camaro's and Viper's that dominated the Nurburgring recently. If you told someone 25 years ago that a Camaro would be smashing numbers set by $500k supercars at the ring people would have thought you were crazy.

Yea, the price tag and performance are on point. That's something that the guys over at team corvette always nail down. Im not sure how much they would cost out there, but im pretty sure they'll still be paying less for a car that can match/overpower most of their overpriced "supercars".

And yea it looks good for what's it's trying to be, but it's just not a muscle car anymore. I want that long aggressive front cowl and short wide /hips/back.

Im still trying to get into a new ZL1 but im not sure that's going to happen anytime soon.

People around the world have been dying for American performance and have been chopping off arms and legs to import modern american muscle cars out there.

Australia was once in that group but not these days. I'm glad to see GM and Ford haven't learnt their lessons yet, with some luck they'll keep ignoring people and both fuck themselves up. We might be a lot smaller test case here in Oz but people screamed for locally made performance vehicles, they screamed for a rear wheel drive V8's with four doors to use as daily drivers but both Ford and Holden (GM's overseas puppet) ignored what the people were telling them and offered an imported substitute. End result Ford pulled out of local production of all cars, Holden were forced to pull out as GM tightened their strings and now four door hatch backs from Korea outsell both companies by large margins. Even the Mustang which Ford promised would replace the local Falcon and had a 6 month waiting list when it was first offered are now sold in such low numbers they are nearly as rare as rocking horse shit. Holden is the same, their design might be being used by Camero but their once flagship Commodore is now a front wheel drive Opal made in South Africa or something that no one wants.

Might be, I don't know or care any more. The Cops somewhere over there took delivery of a number of our Dunnydoors dressed up in the police livery with new badges to try and sweeten the fuck up that GM had plans to pull out of local production. It was poorly planned, poorly executed and GM are now paying the price with their entire range here selling poorly. People are even embarrassed to keep their bowtie badges on Holdens now that it was revealed GM had no plans to support this country. (Truthfully people should have been embarrassed sticking Chevy badges on the front of Holdens in the first place). Ford are failing in the same way but they are still using Aussie designed vehicles in some overseas markets. Both only have themselves to blame and the Aussie market will never be the same for them, being out sold by 4 cylinder rice burners and hybrids from Korea is evidence of that.

yea im not a fan of the interior at all. Dont like how they keep shoving tablets in most of these newer cars.

I personally think the one they had on the Car and Driver cover a few months back looked kind of better ...
25-cars-worth-waiting-for-2019-2022-chevrolet-corvette-placement-1526569843.jpg

2017-chevrolet-corvette-zora-zr1-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-feature-car-and-driver-photo-657589-s-original.jpg

i'd take a C7 Z06 over either of these any day.

being out sold by 4 cylinder rice burners and hybrids from Korea is evidence of that.
i hate to break it to you but 4-bangers and hybrids have been outselling V8 RWD muscle cars everywhere(including here) for a while now.

Last edited:
the C6 is indeed sexy as fuck and one of my favorites. Especially that booty. But you could have done better man. Not really a fan of the way the convertibles look. I think the coupe/targa top versions look way better and give the car a far better/more aggressive look from the side and back.

check this beast out, probably one of my favorite C6 builds(although im not a fan of turbochargers).

"American connotation" amongst people who know cars(most people who will be buying a vette) is not a negative. It's actually a positive. I bet those are the same people who still think german cars are reliable or something? People around the world have been dying for American performance and have been chopping off arms and legs to import modern american muscle cars out there. It's the reasons that GM and Ford have not only started selling the Camaro and Mustang in places like europe and the middle east, but have special packages that are even exclusive in just those areas. Shit, we've had Camaro's and Viper's that dominated the Nurburgring recently. If you told someone 25 years ago that a Camaro would be smashing numbers set by $500k supercars at the ring people would have thought you were crazy.

GM actually pulled out of Europe a few years back and Camaros are pretty far and few between. Mustangs are pretty popular though, at least among young to middle-aged men (Germany at least). Owner crowd is typically the late 20s/early 30s bachelor types. People stand by their Beamers, Mercedes, and Porsches here though, despite the diesel scandal -- which is really more of a political scandal for the non-gearheads. The whole 'American connotation' thing has nothing to do with the amount of power the cars can put out. It's really more of that standard trope of American cars embodying shabby workmanship, superficial flair, and overtly mass-manufactured character (in which regard American car companies over the decades haven't done themselves too many favors, although there are definitely exceptions). Agreed though with the point you're getting at. The recent wave of muscle cars has been pretty insane. I'll confess though that they're not really my thing. Love the classics though.

The whole 'American connotation' thing has nothing to do with the amount of power the cars can put out. It's really more of that standard trope of American cars embodying shabby workmanship, superficial flair, and overtly mass-manufactured character (in which regard American car companies over the decades haven't done themselves too many favors, although there are definitely exceptions).
i know what you meant with "American connotation", which is clearly why i implied that the clueless people still think their german cars are the most reliable when in fact they are the most commonly broken down cars today. Walk into any mechanic shop and and they'll confirm it with you. Take a look at the next broken down car you see on the road, there's a good chance it's german. It's pretty much the main reason why everyone leases german cars, but never buy them. They're fucking scattered everywhere here.

Their bottom tier/fleet cars do have "shabby" interior, but so do the bottom tier benzes and beemers. A brand new chevy cruz has better interior than my leased C-class for example. My Stingray, or the new Camaros, Mustangs are all far better built and have better interior than my dad's 5 series or any other german car in that price range. Americans imo do just about everything better when it comes to cars. Better performance, better luxury, etc. The only thing i think the germans do better are the little things like paying attention to the small details. For example i rarely see panel gaps on any of the new german cars, but i was at a GM dealer a few weeks ago and almost every Vette on the lot had panel gap issues. And i could have sworn they had fixed this problem a few years ago. Maybe it was a bad batch lol.

GM actually pulled out of Europe a few years back and Camaros are pretty far and few between
Chevy and Cadillac are still selling cars out there, no? And werent the Camaros and Mustangs selling pretty good until they got purposely sabotaged and hit with some new emissions bullshit by those lames out there? I understand that cars that are superior to what they build in almost every single possible way is a threat to them, but that was a fucking lame move. And when we do shit like everyone starts crying.

i know what you meant with "American connotation", which is clearly why i implied that the clueless people still think their german cars are the most reliable when in fact they are the most commonly broken down cars today. Walk into any mechanic shop and and they'll confirm it with you. Take a look at the next broken down car you see on the road, there's a good chance it's german. It's pretty much the main reason why everyone leases german cars, but never buy them. They're fucking scattered everywhere here.

Their bottom tier/fleet cars do have "shabby" interior, but so do the bottom tier benzes and beemers. A brand new chevy cruz has better interior than my leased C-class for example. My Stingray, or the new Camaros, Mustangs are all far better built and have better interior than my dad's 5 series or any other german car in that price range. Americans imo do just about everything better when it comes to cars. Better performance, better luxury, etc. The only thing i think the germans do better are the little things like paying attention to the small details. For example i rarely see panel gaps on any of the new german cars, but i was at a GM dealer a few weeks ago and almost every Vette on the lot had panel gap issues. And i could have sworn they had fixed this problem a few years ago. Maybe it was a bad batch lol.

Chevy and Cadillac are still selling cars out there, no? And werent the Camaros and Mustangs selling pretty good until they got purposely sabotaged and hit with some new emissions bullshit by those lames out there? I understand that cars that are superior to what they build in almost every single possible way is a threat to them, but that was a fucking lame move. And when we do shit like everyone starts crying.

Totally. I find it to be a bit of a joke when Americans buy lower-tier Mercedes or BMWs in the US when they could get something just as nice for much less with an American or Japanese alternative. You're just buying the brand name at the point with out actually getting what makes the brand the brand, like an M5, for example.

Tbh, I've never seen a Cadillac here without an American diplomat in it, aside from the vintage ones. GM broke off operations in Europe a few years back because it just wasn't profitable. They had the chance to sell Opel to Peugeot and jumped on it. On the second point, I don't really mind the emissions stuff, but they should be fair with it -- Diesel scandal, for example. It's the tariffs on American cars that bug me.

I sorta kinda get the appeal of those last few Vettes linked but I wouldn't buy one. Of course I like the more muscle-y look over the exotic sleek looks - that said, the newest rendition beats the pants of the "C6" or whatever in the sleek look department. If I'm going to pay for sleek, gimme everything that comes with it. IMO the 5th gen Camaro was a better looking car than any Vette put out recently.

the C7 Z06 is imo the best looking modern Vette by far

2880-1800-crop-chevrolet-corvette-c7-z06-c720822012018171159_1.jpg

2016-nice-blue-collection-of-chevrolet-corvette-z06-c7.r-edition-convertible-front-quarter-specs-dimensions.jpg

corvette-zo6-wallpapers_2510609.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

And the *6th gen Camaro is also the best looking modern Camaro. And looks aside it was a better car than the 5h gen by leaps and bounds.

*edit: before last years facelift/"refresh".