Cds' that changed your life

it's crazy how many people listed NIN - The Fragile, which is probably #1 on my list. i remember the album not getting good reviews when it came out, but i bought it the day it was released and i probably haven't listened to a cd as much as I have The Fragile.

the rest would be:

Nirvana - In Utero
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Aphex Twin - Richard D James

....and...

good death metal :)

Cynic-Focus
Death-Human
Death-Sybolic
Deicide-Deicide
Morbid Angel-Gateways
Morbid Angel-Altars
Morbid Angel-Covenant
Control Denied-The Fragile Art Of Existence
Testament-New Order
She Said Destroy-Time Like Vines

I made a metal / Hard rock list only, because I'd need three threads if I wanna list everything...
Iron Maiden
The number of the Beast / Somwhere in Time/ Powerslave

Judas Priest
Unleashed in the East / Painkiller

Metallica
Ride the lighting / Master of Puppets

Coroner
No more color / Mental Vortex

Obituary
Slowly we rot / Cause of death

Morbid Angel
Altar of Madness / Domination

Entombed
Lef Hand Path / Clandestine

Sepultura
Beneath the Remains

Kreator
Extreme aggression / Coma of Soul

Death
Leprosy / Spiritual healing / Symbolic

Testament
The Legacy/The New Order

Pestilence
Testimony of the Ancients

Edge Of Sanity
The spectral sorrows / Unorthodox

My Dying Bride
The Angel and the Dark River

Death Angel
Act III

Forbidden
Forbidden Evil

Annihilator
Alice In Hell

Slayer
Reign In Blood

At The Gates
Slaughter Of The Soul / Terminal Spirit Disease

Voivod
Dimension Hatrôss / Nothingface

Pantera
Cowboys From Hell

Black Sabbath
Heaven and Hell / Mob Rules

Led Zepplin
I / III

WASP
The Headless Children / Inside The Electric Circus

Accept
Metal Heart / Restless And Wild

Warlock
Triumph And Agony

Tiamat
Clouds

Soilwork
Steelbath Suicide/ The Chainheart Machine

Atheist
Unquestionable Presence

Carcass
Necroticism / Heartwork

Emperor
In the Nightside Eclipse / Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk

...And so on...:loco: d'uh!

So your life is like changing every few monthes or what??? I can't believe there can me that much cds that changed your lifes... :)
As far as I'm concerned there is "Use Your Illusion" by Guns N' Roses (got me into the hard rock side of things), "Rust in Peace" by Megadeth (got me into the metal side of things) and "Images & Words" by Dream Theater (got me into the prog side of things).

Metallica - The Black Album. This one got me into metal
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Ozzy Osbourne - Tribute
King Diamond - Them

Iron Maiden - Killers
AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
Kiss - Alive!
Queensryche - The Warning
Marillion - Real To Reel
Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo
Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Ozzy - Speak Of The Devil
Black Sabbath - Live Evil
Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes

All of them in their own time

Faith No More - Angel dust
Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power
Rage Against The Machine - s/t
Biohazard - Urban Discipline

I understood that there was an alternative to Mc Hammer and Vanilla Ice haha

Ozzy Osborn - Blizzard of Ozz
Black Sabbath - Sold our souls for Rock-n-Roll
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill

I'm going to try and be honest and chronological....with a little history too.

Van Halen - "1984"
The first cassette I ever bought. I got a "walkman" cassette player so I could listen as loud as I wanted on headphones. I had vinyl too but I had a shitty record player that didn't work anymore. That guitar playing made me want to jump around like a fool. I was 8. All the vinyl I had up to that point was kids stuff and crappy pop music....I saw Van halen playing guitar on the table on TV and I had to have it.
I didn't have MTV....I watched "Night Tracks". Word.

1986 or 87

Metallica - "Master of Puppets"
This was the first actual heavy metal record I ever bought. I inherited a new record player from my uncle because he went to prison. How nice!
Anyway, I don't remember if the walkman quit working or if I just didnt like it anymore, but I started getting vinyl records and not cassettes. My good friend's older brother had this record and I became a metalhead listening to it in his bedroom when he was gone. I don't remember if I bought it or stole it from him.
Anyway, this replaced the shitty punk rock I was listening to with my friends while we skate boarded. I listened to far less punk rock.
I also think I got maybe 2 records a year at this point. Sad days.

Slayer - "Reign In Blood"
The first time I heard this record I thought it sucked terribly. A high school dude had a little boombox on the school bus with me (I was in middle school) and he was listening to it. I thought it sounded dreadful and the singer was awful. Little did I know, a couple years later I would become more devoted to metal and go back and get this record. By around '89 or '90 - I officially loved this stuff. I had a new boombox of my own complete with a headphone jack for my old walkman headphones, and I listened to Slayer in secret and on dubbed cassettes because my mother would have had a cow. This was when I distinctly remember thinking that double bass drumming ruled.
By about 1990 I listened to no more punk rock really.
This is also when almost everything I listened to was on dubbed cassettes. I guess dual tape decks were pretty afordable by then and everybody was passing around copies of tapes. I stopped buying LP's all together.

At this point I could also name some other albums that contributed to a life change but not so dramatically as the others. I remember feeling like a total hard ass because I had a copy of Rigor Mortis' self titled. Damn right!

Cannibal Corpse - "Eaten Back To Life"
I got a dubbed copy of this from a buddy at school and that was when I officially became obsessed with growled vocals and death metal. The more brutal the better, the gorier the better.
This is also when I got into tape trading. I was reading magazines and discovering new bands by looking at people's t-shirts and silly shit like that. I was exchanging tapes by mail with a few people.
I had alot of shitty sounding tapes, and some I didn't even know who they were. Those were the good old days. I used to get big manilla envelopes in the mail full of cut out pieces of paper with band names on them and home made bullshit like that along with a few tapes. I miss that.

I didn't have another very life altering discovery until about.....

Death - "Individual Thought Patterns"
I bought this cassette I believe based on an ad in a magazine...I can't remember. I do remember seeing it advertised. What I also remember is being blown away by the music, which seemed to make everything else I had experienced pale in comparison. This is when I realized that extremity didn't have to be about gore or violence - but it could be intellectual and express realistic emotions, emotions that I could relate to personally. This was a breakthrough for me both musically and as a person. Death became an inspiration to me on multiple levels.
I began to pay special attention to bands in this vein and the next album WHICH WAS THE FIRST ACTUAL COMPACT DISC that belings on this list was in...

Cynic - "Focus"
To this day, I still believe this is the best album ever made. What else can I say?
It took me several years to appreciate this record as much as I do today, but even back then I was totally taken aback by it. I knew it was something special. It was so complex and textured and the lyrical messages were totally transcendant. I remember seeing a T-shirt for Focus that said "Strength and Integrity" or something like that. I have always pictured that when I listen to Focus and it is still overwhelming to me every time I hear it.
I have the original CD shelved to never be listened to again...except for maybe a special occasion. I listen to the reissue that they put out a few years ago quite regularly still. I have occasionally gone for a couple of years without listening to it. I do the same thing with my old Death CD's. Eventually I put them in again and realize that nothing since has had the same impact on me and I suppose nothing ever will.

Honorable mentions would include, Atheist - "Unquestionable Presence" which simply doesn't trump either Death or Cynic but is in the same category for me.
Megadeth - "Peace Sells" which is the first time I rememeber feeling like I was doing something wrong by listening to an album.

There are lots of other records that have had huge impacts on me as a musician and as a more experienced music fan, but those records I listed totally changed my life.

Sorry for the long ass post....it was nice to reminisce.

well mine would have to be cassettes that changed my life!
five is too few

the wall
van halen's debut
back in black
blizzard of ozz
master of puppets and or ride the lightning

all made me want to play guitar

that would get me up to age 14 or so

some of the records i would list are:

kiss- destroyer
judas priest- screamin for vengence
metallica- master of puppets
sepultura- arise
pantera- vulgar display of power

there are more but these are the first records i thought of on the heavy side of things.

It's difficult to name 5 so I'll try to make the list the shortest possible. :)

Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve
Guns & Roses - Appetite For Destruction, Use Your Illusion 1&2
Sepultura - Arise
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Korn - Korn
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
Carcass - Heartwork
Killswitch Engage - Alive Or Just Breathing
Flaw - Through The Eyes
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Metallica - Master Of Puppets and Black Album
White Zombie - La Sexorcisto
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (Sorry :lol:)
And some more that I don't remember at the moment