Top 10 albums that changed the way you look at music

In close order...

1. Saviour Machine - all of their albums, but mostly Legend II. Just outstandingly creative and epic stuff.
2. Dio - Holy Diver : I loved this from the moment I heard it and I still think RJD has the best voice in metal.
3. Metallica - And Justice For All : great mix of classical style and thrash, but sadly the band's peak before the declining.
4. Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk : semi-technical black metal, with some semi-intelligent lyrics. A first to me.
5. Pink Floyd - The Wall : I love concept albums, and this one is the greatest of all.
6. Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality : the fathers of metal, and this is a very innovative album I think.
7. Possessed - Seven Churches : the fathers of death metal, and this is still one of my few favorite DM albums.
8. Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory : I like "Images And Words" too, but a few of the songs just aren't my thing. This one is much more progressive and, again, its a concept album. :)
9. Opeth - Morningrise : you mean death metal, acoustics, folk, melody and soft rock can all exist together? Opeth makes it sound so good.
10. Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien : this guitargod has been playing some incredible instrumental stuff for nearly a decade now, and along with Randy Rhodes, he's my biggest influence.

OK:

Metallica-And Justice For All...-I had the black album, but it wasn't anything too special, but then I remember I found 20$ on the street, and went and bought this album, and it blew my mind, it was fast and heavy, yet had beautiful tunes like One and To Live Is To Die. This was when I fell in love with metal.

Opeth-Blackwater Park-Just like someone else mentioned, this album scared the shit out of me, especially tracks like The Leper Affinity, but after a few listens, it grew on me like an infection, and really got me into the underground metal scene, and Opeth are still my favorite band today.

Opeth-My Arms, Your Hearse-This was one of my first introductions to a concept album, and I just couldn't fucking believe how something so dark sounding could also have such an epic beautiful feel to it as a metal album. It's very raw and agressive, but there are some killer riffs, and beautiful acoustic sections, timeless.

Camel- Moonmadness-I listened to this album A LOT, because I thought it was really great music, and it's just got such a deep mood to it, it could almost be a concept album if the lyrics made sense, it's just a very well done record, with some timeless tunes.

Iron Maiden-The Number of the Beast-It's just a metal masterpiece, with tunes like Hallowed, Eclipse, and Children of the Damned, it is a must have, and it really opened my eyes to where metal all started.

Black Sabbath- Paranoid- This is just an amazing original metal album. So many timeless songs on this album, it was way ahead of it's time, and BS are very much the fathers of metal.

Pink Floyd- Dark Side of The Moon-This one explains itself.

Agalloch-The Mantle- A very beautiful record, with many great songs, and it just flows so well. If anything about it was changed, it would be boring, but it's just such a perfect mix.

Emperor-Prometheus- The operatic clean vocals and the clear black metal vox baffled me, yet I just couldn't resist listening to the amazing orchestration on this album, I do think Emperor picked a great time to end their reign amongst black metal.

1. Minsitry - Psalm 69 (this album got me into metal)
2. Darkane - Expanding Senses (got me into the Scandinavian scene)
3. Sepultura - Beneath the Remains (my first taste of extremity)
4. In Flames - R2R (really made me start listening to scandinavian stuff)
5. Stone Temple Pilots -Shangri-La Dee Da (A great, pop/rock album)
6. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (after a year 1/2, I still dont tire of it)
7. Entombed - Wolverine Blues
8. Soilwork - Figure Number Five (rocks my world)
9. Napalm Death - Enemy of the Music Business & Order of the Leech
10. Slayer - Reign in Blood (I discovered my love for speed)

As already mentioned, making this kind of list is hard as fuck, so mine sucks hardcore.

1. Opeth - Morningrise
2. Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius
3. Maudlin of the Well - Bath/Leaving your body map
4. Weather Report - Black market
5. Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
6. Agalloch - The mantle
7. Solefald - In harmonia universali
8. Cacophony - Speed metal symphony
9. Tool - Aenima
10. Emperor - Anthems to the welkin at dusk

hmm...

Esoteric-Metamorphogenesis
My Dying Bride-Angel And The Dark River
Katatonia-Discouraged Ones
Darkthrone-Under A Funeral Moon
Death-Leprosy
Dillinger Escape Plan-Calculating Infinity
Converge-Petitioning The Empty Sky
Candlemass-Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Shape of Despair-Shades of...
Worship-Last Cd Before Doomsday
Wormphlegm-In An Excruciating Way...(demo)

yeah, I know it's 11.

In no order:

Opeth--Deliverance
Dimmu Borgir--EDT
Iron Maiden--Number of the Beast (first album I bought)
In Flames--Jester Race
Kreator--Coma of Souls
Decapitated--Nihility
Dying Fetus--Stop at Nothing
November's Doom--The Knowing
Children of Bodom--Hate Breeder and Follow the Reaper both
The Black Dahlia Murder--Unhallowed

really changed me

1. Metallica- And Justice For All, my first metal album, got this in about '90, when I was 10, now it's no. 4 on my metallica list, but it got me started.
2. Slayer- Reign in Blood, duh
3. Star Wars Soundtracks
4. Misfits- Legacy of Brutality, this is my reality check album when I'm fed up with pretentious, wanking technical shit
5. Iron Maiden- Number of the Beast
6. Amon Amarth- Once Sent from the Golden Hall, when I first heard Victorious March, all was right in the world.
7. Bruce Dickinson- The Chemical Wedding, got me into William Blake, better lyrics than nearly anything Maiden has done
8. Bathory- Hammerheart, RIP brother
9. Quichua Marka- Runa Tushuri, An Andean Indian folk group, I got their CD over 10 years ago at the Santa Monica pier where they would set up and play every night during the summer. This album has the most haunting, epic riffs, it's unreal. The riffs would be at home on any of Maiden's best albums, more metal than what a lot of metal bands are putting out.
10. Johnny Cash-American Recordings/Hank Williams, Sr.-Alone and Forsaken-These two guys were fucking authentic, RIP

In no particular order:

KISS - Alive
Motorhead - No Remorse (my introduction to the greatest band EVER!)
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Megadeth - Peace Sells, But Who's Buying
Suicidal Tendencies - How Will I Laugh Tomorrow, When I can't Even Smile Today
Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast
Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith
Anthrax - The Sound Of White Noise
AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Metallica - S&M (first metal album I bought and the one that got me away from all numetal crap and other bad music)

Metallica - Ride The Lightning (the first album that I ever got into I still enjoy today)

In Flames - Whoracle ("Dialogue With The Stars" and "Jotun" were the first "extreme" metal songs I ever liked. I hate IF today though to a more or less extent)

Slayer - Reign In Blood (my all-time favourite album)

Testament - The Gathering (a damn good record by a damn good band that only gets better and better with age)

The Crown - Deathrace King (the best swedish extreme metal cd ever, the crown sound(ed) fuckin unique and were very underrated)

Opeth - Blackwater Park (the first cd of progressive/diverse metal I got into. I still love everyone of their releases and consider them one of my fav bands)

Anathema - Judgement (the first mellow record I really liked. really emotional and well-written album)

Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World (very addictive album that introduced me to my fav band. great songs all-through)

Death - The Sound of Perseverance (one of the most technical and unique music efforts ever. brilliant drumming and guitar work)

Queensryche - Promised Land
Dream Theater - Awake
Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Tool - Aenima
Tool - Lateralus
Meshuggah - Destroy, Erase, Improve
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Damnation and Deliverance

Pretty much in chronological order.

Guns N' Roses- Appetite For Destruction
Metallica- Black Album
Megadeth- Countdown To Extinction
Tool- Undertow
Pantera- Vulger Display of Power
Nirvana- Nevermind
NIN- The Downward Spiral
Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger
Alice In Chains- Dirt
Rage Against The Machine- Self Titled

stefan86 said:
Anathema - Judgement (the first mellow record I really liked. really emotional and well-written album)
SHIT! I knew I'd forgotten something important, Judgement is such a beautiful album, it's got to be in my top 5 of all time

1. Emperor Nightside Eclipse
2. Mayhem De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
3. Aeternus Beyond the Wandering Moon
4. Arcturus Reconstellation
5. Carpathian Forest Through chasm, caves and Titan woods
6. Cannibal Corpse The Bleeding
7. Six Feet Under Haunted
8. Satyricon Dark Medieval Times
9. Akercoke Rape of the Bastard Nazarene
10. Dimmu Borgir For All Tid

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
In Flames - Whoracle
Opeth - Morningrise
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Death - Symbolic
Anathema - Judegment
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Summoning - Dol Guldur

Tool - AEnima
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
The Doors - L.A. Woman
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Morningrise
Amorphis - Elegy
Agalloch - The Mantle
Current 93 - Thunder Perfect Mind
Comus - First Utterance
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

I could definitely state more than 10 have been of significant influence, but these are important definitely. Most of them could affect how I look at art as a whole too, but especially the Tool, Amorphis, Current 93, and Bob Dylan albums.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Iron Maiden - The Number of The Beast
Dio - Holy Diver
Opeth - Morningrise
Opeth - Still Life
My Dying Bride - The Angel and The Dark River
Graveland - In The Glare of Burning Churches
Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth