Celestion T75 Impulse Responses, PODxt and 5150

Cheers splat88!!

This is most interesting, this whole impulse reverb thing on the POD XT...
Me and 006 talked about loadboxes, and about the palmer cab simulator, how they sound a bit dry when recorded directly, but then again, most people dont try things like splat did here... works like a charm, from what i have heard that is, i still need to try this... but im excited...

I would love to get my hands on some other cab impulse responses. I have a bunch from the noisevault, but they all sound really thin. I'm not sure what those guys used for poweramps for the capture process. A good poweramp will make a big difference.

Is anyone else up to making some impulse responses with their cabs? Like Mesa, Framus, Krank? I'd love to hear the results. If you don't have a dedicated poweramp like my 120/120 you can just run a line from your PC into the poweramp in section of whatever head you're using, tweak the pres and resonance controls if any, and generate some impulses.

We could get a mean library going up here. I'm going to try to make some other responses with other cabs when I get the chance but I'm currently balls deep with studying Biology.

That library sounds like a killer idea!

I have no poweramp, or any amp whatsoever, but im still pretty interested in how one could create impulse reverbs like yours... i tried the noisevault impulses as well, but ended up not using them anyway.. like you said, a bit thin and enriching anything to my tone...

Like Kazrog said, thread of the year award indeed... very cool.

Cheers Splat!

I'm quite amazed at the sound of that 5150 clip.

I suppose I could make some when I get a better understanding about how it works. I don't have great gear though.

Edit: deleted questions that'd already been answered. Read ben.. READ!

Benny H said:
Cheers Splat!

I'm quite amazed at the sound of that 5150 clip. Was that just 1 slot/impulse?

I suppose I could make some when I get a better understanding about how it works. I don't have great gear though.

Edit: I feel bad for asking for MORE, but any chance on decoding the file name system you've used.
I'm just not 100% on what's what.

Read post #30. Its all in there.

Hell Yeah splatt!!!
great!!
As I told you months ago this impulse sounds so live!
I'm gonna do a peavey 5150 through a marshall loaded w/ v30's and another impulse of a boogie dual channel into the same cab!!!!
Just one question how do I produce the sine wave? I hit a note and record it?
Or have I to make a feedback note ? or just unplug my guitar and push the post gain really hard and record the noise?
What's the best?

kaomao said:
Hell Yeah splatt!!!
great!!
As I told you months ago this impulse sounds so live!
I'm gonna do a peavey 5150 through a marshall loaded w/ v30's and another impulse of a boogie dual channel into the same cab!!!!
Just one question how do I produce the sine wave? I hit a note and record it?
Or have I to make a feedback note ? or just unplug my guitar and push the post gain really hard and record the noise?
What's the best?

If you have Voxengo Deconvolver, there's a test tone generator. I did mine at 96000k and 12 seconds.

Also, make sure the MP transform button is checked.

Then, route that sine wave to your power amp. Make sure it's the POWERAMP IN jack on the back (effects loop) not the front input on the amp. The presence and resonance controls will work for the power section still so set them moderately, like 12:00 o'clock or something. Then mic up the cab, hit play and record the signal into a preamp then back into your PC. Then you take that recorded file and 'deconvolve' it with the program. Then you'll have take it into an audio editor and chop off the last tail of the processed file otherwise it will echo. Plug your ears while you do this because that sine sweep is loud once you get into the mid and high frequencies. 12 seconds will seem like a long time, especially if you do multiple mic placements. Also, since really low frequencies will will going through your cab, it will fart out very easily if its turned up too loud. Feed the signal into your amp just loud enough level before the speakers distort at that low frequency hump around 120HZ.

Splat88 said:
Remember, the pedal in that link is not the one I used. A tubescreamer is probably better.

Crikey, still on eh dude. Its either one of those or a tubescreamer, will be interesting... Ive tried to model a TS on the gt6 but its not that great (gt6 being gt6).

To make an impulse with a 5150, i would use the effects send into the PC correct? I didnt realise that you limited it already btw, so something else for me to do before i dealve into the impulses i suppose. Do you limit your parts normally individually or just on this occasion mate? As in limit all the parts, then limit the mix :ill:

morning, also another thing splat, how many tracks were used on the 5150 recording, and were both impulses applied to all tracks, or did you have say 2 tracks of each?

cobhc said:
morning, also another thing splat, how many tracks were used on the 5150 recording, and were both impulses applied to all tracks, or did you have say 2 tracks of each?

I was gonna ask this too. On the pod one steve, he said he did 1 track 95% left and 1 95% right, so i wonder if the same approach was taken :cool:

lol, anyways, back to the original topic, splat the clip just sounds like a 5150 should, imo, sounds like a very well miced and professionally recorded rig.