Check out this new mix

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
Main screen turn on. How are you gentlemen? All your base are belong to us.

Anyway, I testing out this new mix using a hybrid drumkit with DFHS 2.0 for drums and DFHS 1.0 for crashes and hats. There's no 'samples' on the snare drum but the kick is replaced 100% with Slate's kick 10Z3. I'm trying to really capture the tone of a natural kit and I hope what I have put together is relatively convincing aside from the quantized and mechanical nature of the beat. Thoughts?

UPDATED EDIT: I deleted all the previous mixes. Here's the final mix.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=404561&songID=7481214

Hey man i gotta say i love your music!
Only thing i don't like is the snare during fills..
Other than that, i love the kick and the oh's.

Snare gets buried for me at some parts. Otherwise it's a great mix and song!

I agree. I will attempt to fix that. I really mixed the drums unlike I have before on this one in the sense that I tried to use the least amount of EQ and compression possible. The snare has just a touch of compression with a 10ms attach, 100ms release and about 2-3db gain reduction just to help it poke through. I did not use a clipper on the snare like I normally do. On the next mix I'll try to clip the very highest of peaks on the snare so I can get away with cranking it a little louder in the mix.

Awesome everything except the snare for me! Snare falls dead flat I feel doesnt have that thickness and smack to it that I expect from a mix like this. Kick and snare do have a bit of a clicky feel to it making it seem programmed(but this could be all just my monitors and headphones) Pm me about the vocals (they are awesome) when u get a chance or I'll write u again. :)

Awesome everything except the snare for me! Snare falls dead flat I feel doesnt have that thickness and smack to it that I expect from a mix like this. Kick and snare do have a bit of a clicky feel to it making it seem programmed(but this could be all just my monitors and headphones) Pm me about the vocals (they are awesome) when u get a chance or I'll write u again. :)

Thanks for the feedback. Check the top of the thread. I posted another version and hopefully the snare is a little better.

And yes, feel free to PM me about the vox.

I'm still not liking this snare.. its too natural I think. The kick and toms sound fucking AMAZING, huge. The snare just can't compare to them - the snare isn't bad but it just sounds weak and small in comparison. The toms could be panned a TOUCH wider as well I think.

The only other thing I'd do is brighten the overheads in the really high frequencies. Overall, its a great mix but it sounds a tiny bit dark, and I think if you raise the cymbals past like 10kHz that'd help it out quite a bit.

Yea that snare needs a healthy dose of 200hz to get up there with them toms in power. I love the song though and the snare is fine I'm just being picky. An average listener would never notice this, its a great song and thats what there gonna notice!

Oh I like the distorted megaphone effect as well. I'm a sucker for those parts as cheesy as they can be. :kickass:

I'm still not liking this snare.. its too natural I think. The kick and toms sound fucking AMAZING, huge. The snare just can't compare to them - the snare isn't bad but it just sounds weak and small in comparison. The toms could be panned a TOUCH wider as well I think.

The only other thing I'd do is brighten the overheads in the really high frequencies. Overall, its a great mix but it sounds a tiny bit dark, and I think if you raise the cymbals past like 10kHz that'd help it out quite a bit.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll adjust the snare, spread the toms out a bit and give just a touch of boost on the OHs.

Yea that snare needs a healthy dose of 200hz to get up there with them toms in power. I love the song though and the snare is fine I'm just being picky. An average listener would never notice this, its a great song and thats what there gonna notice!

Oh I like the distorted megaphone effect as well. I'm a sucker for those parts as cheesy as they can be. :kickass:

Alright I posted a third version at the top of the page with a fatter snare drum. I took your advice and boosted the snare by a few dbs at 200HZ and even added a touch of parallel compression to the snare track group. I really hope this one has more power to cut through.

Regarding the megaphone part, I'm glad you like it. I generally hate spoken word stuff so when Matty told me he was going to do that I got a little nervous but I think he did a pretty good job.

I'm gonna go against the grain and say the first mix sounds fine drumwise; it's the vocals that are too quiet to me. On Wake Darker Skies you can hear him actually enunciate the words. That said, 1.1 is an improvement, 1.2 is a step back. That's just me. Big fan though, keep up the awesome work!