Chicago Powerfest?

I only recently became aware of Alehorn of Power (I think it was via this forum). I'd love to get out there for one of those if it keeps going.

The main issue with Powerfest is they never had focus.
They had a good start with getting bands like Noc Rites, Lefay, Tad Morose, etc.
Then they didn't like the fact people referred to it as a "power metal" festival.

Then they tried the death and doom thing, which I liked personally, but they lost a LOT of previous customers.

The following year they scored Iced Earth and Testament, and had a TON of new attendees to the fest.

We all know what the lineup was like the following year.
No repeat customers.
Yes, they did, and it's a shame. Dave and I had such a blast at the first one we attended, with Morgana Lefay and Tad Morose, that we intended to make it an annual event even though we had to fly in from Jersey.

The next year they had Nocturnal Rites which made it all worth while, but already the focus seemed to be slipping and there were not enough bands to hold our interest.

Checked out the line up the following year, and realized they were moving in a direction that didn't appeal to us.

Wish 'em the best, but we won't be returning.
Of course, they aren't and shouldn't be looking for people like us who are willing to fly to the fest to make it successful. They have to be able to draw the local crowd and if their current genre focus is working, more power to them. But it does seem fractured and "dated" to me.

I went to one Chicago Powerfest, the one Nocturnal Rites played (the main reason for the 9 hour drive), and I had a good time. However, like you said the lack of interest is that they never did establish a true niche, and these days and in every marketing book I've reviewed says a lot of the same thing. Know your market, and market to it, don't try to be everything to everyone, because then you're bland to everyone. Not enough bands of a certain type to pull that CERTAIN type of fan to take a trek from out of town, nor attract enough locals.

Now personally I can go to a festival with lots of different stuff, and been to many different types of festivals, ProgPower (all but 2, 4 and 10), all the Classic Metal Fests, PowerMad 1999, Wacken 2008, Headbangers Open Air 2008, Keep It True 2007 and 2008, Ozzfests here and there, Rocklahoma 2007-2009, and Foundations Forum Conventions in the early nineties from 1990 to 1995, BUT I enjoy a whole wide realm of metal. Not everyone does, and I can respect that.

Powerfest should have either been a complement to the fall ProgPower (much as Keep It True and Headbangers Open Air complement each other for the times of the year they are active but cater to the same diehard true metal cult metal fans. Ditto the Power metal fans in the U.S.. That I think would have been more of a winning strategy.

However, I've booked shows and they are a pain in the behind, so all the power to those who attempt to start new festivals.