Children of bodom was way better imo at older albums..

Why new children of bodom sucks nowadays.

• something wild

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • hatebreeder

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • follow the reaper

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • hatecrew deathroll

• are you dead yet

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • bloodrunk

• Relentless Reckless Forever

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Halo of Blood

• i worship chaos

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

zamper

New Metal Member
Apr 23, 2016
If i have to choose best albums from children of bodom it's not hard task since the new albums are just way worse than older why?

something wild to hatecrew deatroll albums Cob was freaking awesome but what is it now horrible.

where is all that epic intros and epic keyboard what we can see older albums the new albums are way different than what cob start.. which make me sad since when i was 6-7 old and first time heard
"Deadnight Warrior"
i was like Holy shit they are great and i had never listen anything so good. children of bodom was one of the best band imo till "are you dead yet" and thing start changing rapidly to bad way...Cob is not anymore that melodic and dunno where is keyboard nowadays i just cant notice it that mutch anymore. and that was for me 1 of key thing that children of bodom is so awesome.

I just have to ask why bands can't continue playing the genres that they start where they get all the fans...

Money cant be that serious that you wanna make shitty music after you have made most epicness music of all time..

What happend to CoB why you have to make so bad music nowadays if you check your set list there is most of songs older ones that means even you guys dont like that mutch newer ones.. so why you guys play them anyway?

i would pay like 3x more that i could see children of bodom at live with only old songs than getting these shitty new ones and get cheaper ticket...

Not me man I swear.

Apparently COB tried to get back to their roots with Halo of Blood (at least according to their marketing machinery), but it was with their current style so it just didn't work out that well, it was a solid but boring album in my opinion, as the sound was colourless and much of the material lacked epicness, but there's some gems there for sure like the title track in itself. There's still some nice ideas for every album (Blooddrunk being the best of the new style with heaps of ideas), but they've lost much of that passion and creativity - happens to everyone, it's useless to cry and miss the past. I've learned to accept that, but I still share my passionate ideas here, I understand it's a challenge to practically discover that deep, magical flow of unique creativity time after time under stress, but what I don't understand is bands forgetting what kind of musical atmosphere it was that made them special. I guess individual musical ideas are tied to a specific soundworld, and Alexi's current musical sensor is adjusted to that thrash style. Maybe it's his honest playing style, but I think the issue is he should lay down his guitar and not touch it before he first comes up with an epic song idea in his mind. In my opinion the songs have become too much concentrated on his guitar instead of all the instruments serving a different purpose of their own that come together to form one epic song idea. I just think their style should be faster, more atmospheric, darker... and just utilize all their unique things like the haunted child screams, murderous riffing, orchestral hits and unison solos and shamelessly use them to create the musical formula they were known for. It doesn't have to be a pt. 2 of any old album, but they need to remember what made them special and then use that and even empower it, with the creativity they might still have.

Last edited:
My opinion is that back on the day Bodom weren't worried about making an album, but the ascension of the band walked hand in hand with the ascension of the CD era. It was a beautiful decade for making albums. It fit with the band's natural composition process and eventually this routine got consolidated. I've recently had the opportunity to read a few record label's contracts, stuff as new as 2014 repeat the same old models, everything is so CD based.

Haven't we read Alexi in a number of interviews saying how much the process is the same? You make an album, tour tour tour, a few years go by and the process repeats itself. That's the thing, their process remains the same when the world is turning to a new direction. The CD era is over, bands like Protest The Hero have already realized it, go check out what they're doing instead.

Joonas already quoted Alexi in another thread:

Writing originals. That's the hardest part. It's harder because you start out with nothing and you have to write a whole album.

"You have to write a whole album" - this sums it up for me. In the past the industry was adequate to his needs; nowadays he's the one who was to adequate his creativity into the industry's model.

It seems to work for the band anyway since they love the touring life.
I'm sure they're tighter as musicians when it comes to recording new material, so they obviously hear their own improvements and that's about it. Why wouldn't it work from their perspective? I guess we'll have to be patient until these guys want to try something new out and fuck around with the CD formula. As of now, from an industry perspective, they're Children of Conservativeness :p

If i have to choose best albums from children of bodom it's not hard task since the new albums are just way worse than older why?

something wild to hatecrew deatroll albums Cob was freaking awesome but what is it now horrible.

where is all that epic intros and epic keyboard what we can see older albums the new albums are way different than what cob start.. which make me sad since when i was 6-7 old and first time heard
"Deadnight Warrior"
i was like Holy shit they are great and i had never listen anything so good. children of bodom was one of the best band imo till "are you dead yet" and thing start changing rapidly to bad way...Cob is not anymore that melodic and dunno where is keyboard nowadays i just cant notice it that mutch anymore. and that was for me 1 of key thing that children of bodom is so awesome.

I just have to ask why bands can't continue playing the genres that they start where they get all the fans...

Money cant be that serious that you wanna make shitty music after you have made most epicness music of all time..

What happend to CoB why you have to make so bad music nowadays if you check your set list there is most of songs older ones that means even you guys dont like that mutch newer ones.. so why you guys play them anyway?

i would pay like 3x more that i could see children of bodom at live with only old songs than getting these shitty new ones and get cheaper ticket...
You haven't been lurking around here long before making your account right? Cos' you just found an entire forum's worth (Close enough, I know there are some who disagree) of people who agree with you! :D Joonas has almost 9 000 posts that mostly consist of "New COB is not as good as old COB", "New Cob is not as good as old COB because...", and "This is what COB should do to make new COB as good as old COB" :D Anyway, welcome to the forum. You might have an easier time than the guys who come in with "IWC is the best thing EVARRRR!!!" (Not that there have been many. I seem to remember one or two though).

My opinion is that back on the day Bodom weren't worried about making an album, but the ascension of the band walked hand in hand with the ascension of the CD era. It was a beautiful decade for making albums. It fit with the band's natural composition process and eventually this routine got consolidated. I've recently had the opportunity to read a few record label's contracts, stuff as new as 2014 repeat the same old models, everything is so CD based.

Haven't we read Alexi in a number of interviews saying how much the process is the same? You make an album, tour tour tour, a few years go by and the process repeats itself. That's the thing, their process remains the same when the world is turning to a new direction. The CD era is over, bands like Protest The Hero have already realized it, go check out what they're doing instead.

Joonas already quoted Alexi in another thread:

"You have to write a whole album" - this sums it up for me. In the past the industry was adequate to his needs; nowadays he's the one who was to adequate his creativity into the industry's model.

It seems to work for the band anyway since they love the touring life.
I'm sure they're tighter as musicians when it comes to recording new material, so they obviously hear their own improvements and that's about it. Why wouldn't it work from their perspective? I guess we'll have to be patient until these guys want to try something new out and fuck around with the CD formula. As of now, from an industry perspective, they're Children of Conservativeness :p
What is Protest the Hero doing? Releasing singles etc.?

What is Protest the Hero doing? Releasing singles etc.?

Protest The Hero has created a subscription platform for their music. If you sign up you pay 12 dollars and get music as they make it for six months. Track by track, each has a separate artwork and so on.

This sounds quite interesting in my ears as it seems to be in accordance with what the market has transformed itself into. Sales are not product-based anymore, they're access-based. Just think Spotify, Deezer and so many others.

Taking a look at history it's interesting to notice how things are cyclic. Back on the day vinyl was the hype, the single was the lastest vogue before stuff evolved to full records.

The paradigm shift from physical to digital brought back the force of the single with iTunes selling tracks for 99 cents.
It is still quite powerful, but I think iTunes' model is soon to be over, since now people are paying for access. Fuck that one track if I can pay a couple of dollars a month and hear thousands of them, right?

There is a recent interview by Alexi and Janne in which the dude asks their thoughts about the music industry, and they both say it's dead. A couple of times recently Alexi also stated COB is fine because they keep playing gigs and touring all over. This sort of reveals how aloof the guys are to the shifts in the industry, and... yeah, I guess we can expect albums as long as their mentality remains the same.

I do agree that the recording part provided by record labels is dying, but at the same time, oh man, there's so much stuff, so fucking alive.

Children Of Bodom is by far one of my favorite bands, but I do fear they're gonna be swallowed by all this at some point. I hope Mr. Laiho decides to give things a twist and try something new. Perhaps even Joonas would be happier if Bodom focused on one song at a time without the pressure of making a whole album... who knows what could happen.

I like albums, as long as they're cult material...

Still, these guys get paid enough from my understanding, I wouldn't be worried about that, neither should new bands... New bands should be worried about making albums that someone cares to pay for. Then just make it easier to order. Price of albums has to drop and you need to be able to have it inside your door in two days by clicking the mouse two times. End of story. Metal fans WILL still buy albums if they're good and if their price is reasonable. The reality is also there's not so much good shit coming out anymore, and new discoveries aren't sold as CD's. Also we need those stereo systems again packaged aesthetically, with also a powerful subwoofer. People don't care to put CD's in their PS3 when they can just use spotify or youtube as their shit is connected to internet. No-one's really doing anything special.

In short: If you want us to buy CD's we will if bands like COB utilize their musical potential and if the CD's can be bought easily and with reasonable price. 20 euros is generally too much. 10 euros is good. Of course if you make a cult album we can pay 50 euros...

Last edited:
Interesting. But popular music (in all its genres) is a different animal than extreme music. There it's all singles based. The record companies hires some of the big "producers" to come up with something the masses will enjoy, 2 or 3 songs. The rest of the album are just fillers. With extreme music the bands do it all, including recording these days, and as a result, and what I like about this music, you get albums where bad songs are the exception.

Everything is now moving to subscriptions. They want your money every month whether you use whatever they offer or not (preferably not of course). While things were still too spread out to be in control of a few hands, now the big companies are started to look at extreme metal labels so at some point it will all be in their hands and they can impose their subscription scam. They'll always have to deal with sharing and people will always figure a way to get stuff free. But tightening of copyright and intellectual property laws is also in the works. At some point they'll start tinkering with the internet itself somehow I suspect. It's all still fluid and bands with few exceptions don't have a lot of power or vision to be able to figure out how all this will resolve.

Fan-funding also looked like it would be the way of the future. Not sure what happened with that. Imagine all of you who are stuck on FTR, telling Alexi, "look, will fund your next album...but it's gotta be another FTR." That would be an interesting way to force bands to listen to the fans. But the last thing creative people want is others dictating their creative process, whether it's producers, labels, or fans. That said, since Alexi seems to be into money, he's actually missing out. He could get extra funding by doing a campaign to finance 2 or 3 FTR-type songs to be included in a future album.

I think fans would be ready to pay if their beloved bands stopped sucking and became epic again.

I guess COB could earn a hefty sum by dictating their new album to be closer to the old material, but there's a problem... what does it mean exactly, the soundworld? That doesn't guarantee the songs are good. It was never about any technical element such as neo-classicism. It's the passion and atmosphere and epicness that fans want more of. What used to be melodic death metal has become thrash metal with keyboards. It's probably become a compromise between what Alexi actually wants to write while keeping it within Bodom frames.

Really all it's about is bands forgetting what was their special style. Alexi forgot that already with HCDR. Our best bet is in finding an exorcist who can magically remove the thrash-metal spirit from Alexi, because it's hindering his potential. Thrash sucks.

They need an intensely dark soundworld, murdering speed, mysterious melodies...

Last edited:
I'm not sure "forget" is the right word. How can he forget when nearly every night he has to play several of those songs to crowds.

It's a matter of "been there, done that." Bands can either stick themselves in some period/sound (Cannibal Corpse, Bolt Thrower, Jungle Rot, Kalmah, Mors Principium Est, etc.) or "progress" and change things around (Death, Amorphis, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames--ugh). So far COB has maintained something of a balance. They don't do the same over and over which gets boring and haven't gone off the deep end with crazy shit that completely sucks.

I'm not sure "forget" is the right word. How can he forget when nearly every night he has to play several of those songs to crowds.

It's a matter of "been there, done that." Bands can either stick themselves in some period/sound (Cannibal Corpse, Bolt Thrower, Jungle Rot, Kalmah, Mors Principium Est, etc.) or "progress" and change things around (Death, Amorphis, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames--ugh). So far COB has maintained something of a balance. They don't do the same over and over which gets boring and haven't gone off the deep end with crazy shit that completely sucks.
IMO Kalmah has followed the same progression as COB and Norther, though they haven't gone as far in it as the two aforementioned bands. Even so, there's a clear difference when comparing their early stuff to their new stuff. Black Waltz and onward is far more riff oriented than the first three albums ("...more riff oriented than the first three albums" Sounds familiar? :D ). Pekka's singing voice also changed from high pitched screams to growls at some point. I preferred the higher screams.

IMO Kalmah has followed the same progression as COB and Norther, though they haven't gone as far in it as the two aforementioned bands. Even so, there's a clear difference when comparing their early stuff to their new stuff. Black Waltz and onward is far more riff oriented than the first three albums ("...more riff oriented than the first three albums" Sounds familiar? :D ). Pekka's singing voice also changed from high pitched screams to growls at some point. I preferred the higher screams.

I just can't fully agree with you. I think they didn't change as much through the years, yes he uses his low-pitched vocals more often,however on their newest album he sings with his high-pitched one as much as with low one. AFAICR Also, their melodies became more sophisticated and they didn't loose their trademarks, like COB.

To the Gallows riff is so catchy and badass, Black Waltz and They Will Return intros, man. Some other good things they must've done... such a shame they didn't mature up to be a serious band, as they had too much filler material and didn't know how to capitalize properly on their good material.

I just can't fully agree with you. I think they didn't change as much through the years, yes he uses his low-pitched vocals more often,however on their newest album he sings with his high-pitched one as much as with low one. AFAICR Also, their melodies became more sophisticated and they didn't loose their trademarks, like COB.
One does not simply agree with everyone :D Anyway, you're right in that they have changed less than COB. I was just pointing out that, IMO, they have still noticeably changed from what they were in the beginning.

The CD era is over, bands like Protest The Hero have already realized it, go check out what they're doing instead.

Protest the Hero are different to nearly every other metal band though, they have a smallish following but its almost all BIG fans who will throw money at them any chance they can. I bought one of the higher perks on their indie-go-go campaign and bought the premium subscription option straight away. There are very few bands I would do that for. I counted about 5000 supporters in the first month on their bandcamp page so they are in a very good position at the moment. This was a band who were dropped by their label too.

Now a lot of bands are going on bigger tours since thats they only way to keep the band afloat. Which is great for people in countries out of the way because bands are more likely to play there now but it also means they will get burnt out more.

It doesn't matter that new album sounds like FTR, or if it is fast, or slower. What matters is that it has to be epic. Shit that makes you shiver, sending chills throught your whole body. It is normal that a band doesn't want to do what they did 15 years ago, everyone progresses, every artist, that is. Nowadays they miss anger and overall emotion, last albums sound like warm up riffs before hitting the stage. If they continue making music after tours end, every two years, it's just gonna get more and more dull. Make a break, leave guitar for 6 months, go to some meditation, get depressed again, and then start writing music :rofl: I think that is the way to get cult material, at least one more time.