Children of bodom was way better imo at older albums..

Why new children of bodom sucks nowadays.

• something wild

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • hatebreeder

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • follow the reaper

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • hatecrew deathroll

• are you dead yet

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • bloodrunk

• Relentless Reckless Forever

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Halo of Blood

• i worship chaos

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
Imo their fall from grace began already at HCDR. If the question is why new COB sucks, I'd say the correct answer is the positive reaction to HCDR and AYDY.

Are You Dead Yet? had some great songs with nice melodies and memorable solos but also was the start of their prominent thrashier style (Hate Crew Death roll had a little bit of it but not much) which I personally don't think fits as well as the more power metal/ neo-classical/ black metal style bodom had.

Their next 2 albums were just ok to me but I think they really stepped up for Halo Of Blood. If they continued evolving that style I Worship Chaos would have been awesome but for whatever reason they took a major step back and is my least favourite album they've done as it lacks so many things that made them great. When I heard the songs were simpler in interviews I was guessing they were talking about the rhythm section so Alexi could do more melodies over them like their earlier work & create more Joonas atmosphere but it turned out they meant each song in general. Bodom songs without a solo seems odd to me, and the ones that were there for the most part lacked anything memorable. I only like 2 songs on the album as the rest just sounds like a decent idea for a part with a bunch of repeated filler in between. I really hope they don't keep up this style for their next album :(

I posted the same stuff about HCDR being the actual start of the downfall, because of the apparent mass ejaculation is provided, but deleted it because I'm suffocating this place by taking breathing air by talking and talking.

When I heard the songs were simpler in interviews I was guessing they were talking about the rhythm section so Alexi could do more melodies over them like their earlier work & create more Joonas atmosphere but it turned out they meant each song in general.

That was the wishful consensus, which we then could wipe our butts with and watch in awe how COB magnificently shattered anything that was special about them. I was like I don't care if their stuff is simple like the rhythms in SNBN, if it means the true shit will be epic and blazing. Man when I heard the shit I was walking outside and shouting 'wtf am I listening to.' It's just disappointing when a band doesn't take the ideas that prove better than what they got. IWC has some ten seconds of epicness in each song.

Last edited:
I was like I don't care if their stuff is simple like the rhythms in SNBN, if it means the true shit will be epic and blazing.

Bed of Razors is probably my favourite COB song but one of the simplest- especially the rhythm. Great melody and awesome solo. That's a song that no matter who I've shown it 2 they love the chorus melody at least. Don't know why COB thinks doing more chugging stuff is the popular way to go- it just makes them blur into a lot of other metal bands instead of standing out.

*sigh* missing the times when the forum was full of dudes and fangirls (despite most of them being halfwits), now everyone's gone. Where is the metal wave going? Was it just a phase, like rock 'n roll, now dying? I thought metal would never die. Or is the time of forums over, people no longer carrying a proper typing board? I need music that's dark, angst and loaded with emotional power, now there's nothing like that, not even similar computer music. No new impressive bands. Even Alexi labeled Lost Society as some 'next thing', I think only because bands have this contract to support who they tour with... I guess I'm off to listen to country and church music then, fuck this shit. :( Remember the times when we would wait for Are You Dead Yet? in hopes of a new cult album, with metal flourishing and seeking new directions... then a few years later it started to diminish, bands becoming withered. I tell you year 2000 was the shit, every metal band was making their blue, cold sounding albums, creativity was at its peak, and no downloading, just burning CD's via stereo systems, and back then it was no problem not to cruise thru all albums, cos everything sounded good...

Last edited:
%reads thread title% duh
Bed of Razors is probably my favourite COB song but one of the simplest- especially the rhythm. Great melody and awesome solo. That's a song that no matter who I've shown it 2 they love the chorus melody at least. Don't know why COB thinks doing more chugging stuff is the popular way to go- it just makes them blur into a lot of other metal bands instead of standing out.
always thought it sounds like an old pirate folk song.

It doesn't matter that new album sounds like FTR, or if it is fast, or slower. What matters is that it has to be epic. Shit that makes you shiver, sending chills throught your whole body. It is normal that a band doesn't want to do what they did 15 years ago, everyone progresses, every artist, that is. Nowadays they miss anger and overall emotion, last albums sound like warm up riffs before hitting the stage. If they continue making music after tours end, every two years, it's just gonna get more and more dull. Make a break, leave guitar for 6 months, go to some meditation, get depressed again, and then start writing music :rofl: I think that is the way to get cult material, at least one more time.

that's what i mean something missing newer album..

firstly, what the fuck is this poll? is it supposed to be worst record?

second, here's my opinion: the industry has changed, bodom got a marketshare before the CD era ended. next came the itunes era, which i'm sure they did ok on but not the same as CDs, especially when a label is taking the lionshare. we are now in the streaming era, and nobody wins on media anymore. its all about live, merch, and publishing.

in regards to holding on to the old style, it should be celebrated and not looked down on that the created a huge spectrum of styles. as to why it departed from FTR sound into the HCDR, its the tuning of the guitars into drop C, the influence of 'core', the departure of the original 2nd guitarist, and Alexi/Janne becoming more evolved musicians and craving chromatic sounds instead of neo-classical. One can make the case that the first few records are like Yngwies style with thrash, punk and attitude mixed in. However the later records are completely unique, and as artists i'm sure they are very proud of their work.

^I really love all the different styles COB has created and I'm happy to see someone else point that out too. But with variety there's always going to be someone who isn't going to like it. So many people are just going "new bodom fucking sucks hjkgkjgg" and yeah I know what it's like when your favorite band doesn't go to the direction you want, but art isn't something you can just lead somewhere. I would give anything to get more POAAF-ACSS style Marilyn Manson instead of all the shit they've released in the 2000s but all I can do about it is just to only listen to the stuff I like.

To me at least COB isn't getting worse at all. I feel like I can "find" it over and over again and there's always something new and something really cool going on. I experience music very strongly with colours and the way the music "looks" for me has changed a lot after blooddrunk, it isn't as gloomy and dark anymore and it wasn't what I expected but it hasn't been a disappointment. I remember when RRF was released I was a little like "what the fuck is this" but I gave it another try later and now I love that album, only that I will forever skip WIWI because I don't like that song. IWC is a really awesome album, especially All For Nothing is one of my favorite songs from COB ever.