Christian metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gallantry over Docility said:
Then I'm not interested in leaving your posts undeleted. ;)

Edit: Same goes for everybody else who's doing anything but discussing, from now.

Oh ok, then I will be extraordinarily docile, because I find you very attractive and wouldn't want to jeapardise a chance of bedding you.

The Greys said:
How about we leave religion out of music, I just don't see how religion has any importance.

DUHHH DUUHHH DUDUH HDUHH DUHH UDH DUHHH DHH HDU DUH HH

DUYHH DUH H HH FUC DH DUHHHHHHH

DUHHHHHHH DDDDUUUDH UDUDUDUHD

DUH DUHD DDUDUDUUHHHHHHDUDHHHH

@GoD, I'm sorry that Zhou Tai's insistence on ideology only being expressed through lyrics depresses you, but that's just the view he has. And as you know, I share that view.

@Zhou, perhaps if lyrics were indepent of music, we should refrain from calling any of the bands you mentioned Christian bands. The fact that specific light is shed on their lyrical base is tantamount to stating that the lyrics contain some importance beyond.

This thread is nothing but a bunch of different views clashing with one another. The only posts that are achieving any sort of triumph are the ones attempting to move forward as opposed to rehashing arguments debating ANUS.com or mindless insults or unsupported random "omg chirstians gay duh" or equivalent outbursts.

The Greys said:
Anus.com is a horrible site, anyone who uses them to back themselve's must really suck. Is it that hard to develope your own views,etc.... why do you need a website to tell you what to think. How did Anus.com prove they are right in the first place. How does that site have any more value over somone's opinion,views,thoughts is beyond me. That site is crap so fuck it and christianity too.
i was going to say "agreed with this" until you went and threw in those last 3 words. blah. some people just don't understand christianity no matter how many times its explained.

BikerMiceFromMars said:
So i think we can all agree that christianity has no place in metal.
incorrect. i disagree with you. i think all forms of intense expression and passion have a rightful place in metal. don't be closedminded.

Silent Song said:
incorrect. i disagree with you. i think all forms of intense expression and passion have a rightful place in metal. don't be closedminded.

I agree to the extent that there is no limit to what ideologies or other themes can be expressed in Metal. I will gladly listen to Thrash that talks about pink elephants or Black Metal (in terms of the musical aspect) talking about Jesus. I listen to music for the way that it sounds and not the lyrical ideology expressed anyway, so it's no big deal for me. And like Cythraul said, while the music in a song can convey emotions, it cannot be very specific, like a riff being 'evil,' without being taken in context.

195.jpg

Zhou Tai 04 said:
Meh, I already know the drill; I can refute any and all arguments against Christian metal. It really doesn't bother me.

Apparently ignorance is one of your greatest virtues.

Well, I am not a Christian, but I have absolutely no problem with Christian metal. I don't listen to any Christian metal bands, but there is more than enough room in this world for them.
Plenty of high quality, well known metal bands have certainly had some lyrics based on the bible or at least Christuian related spirituality like:

Metal CHurch (Howe era)
Angra (pretty much their whole career)
Vanden Plas......

etc.

Some people will moan and groan, but as someone who is not religious, why would I say it's ok for many death/doom bands to promote satanism, or paganism etc. and not ok to promote Christianity ? I hope that Christian metal sells well and allows Christians to see metal for what it is and metal-heads as not some spawns of satan.

Bryant

Yup, as usual I agree with Bryant.

Anyway, I wanted to add one more thing: Christians seem to be really fucking good at Doom Metal. Post-Trouble, there just seemed to be a surge of Christian themed Doom Metal, and a lot of it is really good.

Dodens Grav said:
I agree to the extent that there is no limit to what ideologies or other themes can be expressed in Metal. I will gladly listen to Thrash that talks about pink elephants or Black Metal (in terms of the musical aspect) talking about Jesus. I listen to music for the way that it sounds and not the lyrical ideology expressed anyway, so it's no big deal for me. And like Cythraul said, while the music in a song can convey emotions, it cannot be very specific, like a riff being 'evil,' without being taken in context.

Great post Doden !! If a band chooses to worship cardboard boxes, that is their business. If they still play cool music, I don't care. I would be lying if I said there have never been lyrics I thought were repulsive, but they are few and far between and typically not religious in context.

Bryant

Status
Not open for further replies.