Classical Music - Help Needed

Mountain Man

Blow It All To Hell!
Feb 24, 2002
West Virginia
I always liked various classical music songs, but for some reason, I never really looked into the genre. I like to do so now. Can anyone recommend something to get me started? I’m looking maybe for a box set that gives an overview of the genre, a nice double disc set or maybe something from the Time Life collection. I always see a lot of classical CD’s in the magazines they send me. Anyone recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks. :Spin:

NP: Carcass - Heartwork Album

Cool, i'm in exactly the same predicament as you Mountain Man. I've always loved classical myself, but have never devoted money or time into a collection of it. I may start also.

AndICried said:
Chopin - Prelude No. 14 in Eb minor.
(I don't know shitloads about classical, but this is an impressive song)

Oh... Question two:

Are you looking for full orchestral music, solo piano, or all forms of classical?

I really like Johann Pachelbel Canon In D Minor. What I'm looking is basically all forms of classical. I'm partial to strings though. Most of the stuff that I've heard and liked seems to be very old.

Depending on the composer, there are different genres. Mozart and Beethoven came up with alot of beautiful piano pieces (Pathetique, Turkish Rondo, etc), but at the same time, they also composed symphony after symphony.

If you''re interested in piano:

Mozart: Turkish Rondo
Beethoven: Fur Elise, Moonight Sonata, Pathetique
Schubert: Moment Musical

If you're looking at full orchestra...

Tchaikovsky: Concerto No.1
Beethoven: Symphony No.7 2nd Movement

More organ type music...

Bach: Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, Toccata & Fugue, Prelude in C

For a more modern edge I would go for some of the russian stuff like Shostakovich, or Prokofiev.
I love that stuff it has some great tension and dissonance and is less bound to strict rules.

I used to be a huge fan of classical music, but haven`t listened much to it lately. Anyway, here are some of my recommendations:

Ralph Vaughan Williams- Fantasy on a Theme by Thomas Tallis(the lushest, most beautiful chords you`ll ever hear)
Dmitri Shostakovich- Symphony no.11(hauntingly beautiful, especially the third movement)
Sergej Rachmaninov- Piano Concerto no.3(something is wrong with you if you don`t start humming the melody of this one after your first listen)
Arnold Schoenberg- Pierrot Lunaire(creepiest piece ever)
Bartok- Allegro Barbaro(heavy metal piano. Nuff said)

These are only a few suggestions, if you want more, tell me.

STRAVINSKY AND MAHLER!!!!!!

checkout
stravinsky- rite of spring
mahler- 1st symphony

those are my favorites. all of em rule though
~gR~

I'm not big into classical music, but I do have a couple of CDs. I think one good thing about classical is you can start your collection without spending much money. If you go to a record store, you can probably find some cheap compilation CDs that feature several composers.
Of course, the orchestra and director that performs/interprets the pieces will also have almost as much to do with how it sounds as the piece and the composer. Look for orchestras that sound at least vaguely familiar to you. I am assuming you are talking about full orchestras as opposed to something like piano concertos.

Bryant

Yeah, you can go to like best buy and a classical cd is like $5.99. I've bought a few I know of like Mozart's Reqium, some Beethoven and something other stuff I can't remember. I by no means know anything about classical, but it's much cheaper to go on a flyer with this shit than anything else. But just so you know, some of the recordings can be total shit. Try to find the cds by like popular philharmonics or orchestras. Those are alright. If it's a cd by like, Bill Nye and the Starlight Orchestra Guys type of thing, don't get that. It will sound like shit and you won't like it. But classical is a pain in the ass to get into, IMO, cuz alot of it is public domain (older stuff) and anyone can record it. If you have a local orchestra/symphony in your town, check out some of that shit. I saw some "Concerts on the Square" stuff in Madison (outdoor concert) and it was awesome.

Some very good recommendations here !:headbang: I might as well as for some recommendations. Anyone knows any great dark classical pieces, i'm looking for really dark stuff (call it a black metal version of classical music if you wish) mostly string arragements. Also I would like some piano recommendations, but like I said, no ''happy'' melodies please :D

for dark pieces once again check out stravinksy's rite of spring and mahler's first. any thing by them is golden, but those are my favorites. also look into the romantic and post romantic eras in general. russian composers are a good place to start
~gR~

Reactions: Ultimate_Symphony
Ultimate_Symphony said:
Anyone knows any great dark classical pieces, i'm looking for really dark stuff (call it a black metal version of classical music if you wish) mostly string arragements. :

Sibelius - Finlandia. The darkest thing I've ever heard!

For pure bombast you cannot beat Verdi Requiem (especially the Dies Irae)

For those new to classical, one of the best pieces you could buy is Holst "The Planets suite" - it has everything from war march (fans of Nile will notice that Ramses: Bringer of War is actually a metalised version of Mars from this suite) to beautiful melodies.

For a modern classical composer, try Karl Jenkins. His music is extremely melodic classical music. Many of his albums (like the Adiemus series) have a lot of vocal sounds as well. The first 2 Adieamus albums I found to be the most rewarding. But if you want more instrumental, try Imagined Oceans. Good stuff.

Ultimate Symphony:

Dark Classical Pieces:

Pierrot Lunaire by Arnold Schoenberg. This will scare the shit out of you. Do you have MSN Messenger? In that case, I can send the best version ever made of it to you.

The aforementioned Rite of Spring by Stravinsky. The first movement is breathtakingly powerful while still remaining tonal, so to say.

Movie music uses a LOT of the elements found in black metal, namely the chromaticism and emphasis on minor chords. You should also check out the soundtrack for the game Ultima VIII, downloadable at www.ultimalives.com in MIDI-format.

Alban Bergs Wozzeck is an atonal opera that I can remember making me feel sick inside when I listened to it. Should be read with the story for best effect. Kind of a difficult listening if you`re not used to atonal music, but worth it.

Reactions: Ultimate_Symphony
if you want to get into the very recent stuff check out some stuff by penderecki. he did most of the soundtrack of the shining
~gR~