Climate Change and Related Issues

See, I work in a library so "filming paperwork" would be the wet dream fodder here.

Sounds like something that would occasionally apply to my workplace too.

Since I sense a resurgence of comedy, here's more funnies. From a text message exchange with my friend Andrea on Christmas Eve:

How are you doing?

Fine, I'm in a trashy pizzeria because everything else is closed and there was no other way to get drinks.

Did you fight with your family?

No, it was just a mate and me wanting to have a beer before going to Church.

I see - you are of Irish rite.

I'm almost not polluting. I only buy things I need or plan to use. Have nothing just sitting around. Buy ecological products (food grown in an enviroment-friendly way, guitars made from wood from tree plantages rather than forrests and so on) if possible. Walk rather than drive if possible.

The store I work/live in is going out of business, and we were ordered by the liquidation douche to dispose of the 30 boxes of bags somehow. Since the mall doesn't seem to have a plastic recycling thing, we took them all to the garbage. When we got there, we (me and this short guy) realized that neither of us were strong enough to pick up the boxes and throw them into the giant dumpster, which was about 8 feet tall, so we opened up all the boxes and took the bags out, and there are about 100 shoved into one bag, and about 10 bags of bags per box, so we threw the bags of bags in individually, and the wind was blowing and they mostly ended up blowing across the parking lot.

So I guess that is what I do to stop global warming. I actually feel terrible. "An Inconvenient Truth" could've been filmed right there.

:ill:

Narmoth said:
I'm almost not polluting. I only buy things I need or plan to use. Have nothing just sitting around. Buy ecological products (food grown in an enviroment-friendly way, guitars made from wood from tree plantages rather than forrests and so on) if possible. Walk rather than drive if possible.

That's the way! :) :headbang:

I'm actually quite happy because 100% recyclable "plastic" bags are starting to appear around here, hopefully they'll become the standard someday :Smug: .

I'm starting to use a car less and less everyday, walking and buses are the way to go :kickass: .

^ I guess driving only 12 miles per day is ok, hopefully there isn't too much line-up when you drive.

And I'm sure the wind helps :) :p .

The thing is that since CR is such a small country it's easier to get to certain places, and I live in a very well-located area, so everything is pretty much nearby.

It's better to walk short distances here (and I guess everywhere), because there are so many bloody cars that it takes like 30min to travel 2km.

As a matter of fact, I'm sure that there are more cars than people here :ill: .

It's better to walk short distances here (and I guess everywhere), because there are so many bloody cars that it takes like 30min to travel 2km.
We sort of have the same problem here, especially downtown and in the rush hours. We also have a parking space problem, but you'll be happy to know that more and more people are starting to use the two free parking lots in the edge of the town and taking the bus from there to go to the centre.

I wanted to know what you guys do in order to stop global warming.
SAVE THE PLANET!!!

What do I do?

I like to shoot ice cubes into space towards the sun. That way, when they hit the sun, they'll drop the suns temp by .00000000000000000000001 degree.

Look...Global Warming is nothing more than a cause that the global Left has grabbed on to to force the rest of us to give up our freedom of choice because they finally figured out that Communism has already been proven to be a failure when it comes to quelling people's freedom.

Global Warming Alarmists always point to the shrinking Ice Cap in the Artic Circle, but they never mention that the Ice Pack in the Antartic Circle is actually growing!!! You know there's a reason why Greenland was named Greenland.

This planet goes through phases in its climate. During prehistoric times, this planet was quite a bit warmer. Then came the Ice Ages. Why? The dinosaurs weren't driving SUVs. It's called volcanic action. A single volcanic eruption puts more Carbon Dioxide into the air than every vehicle on Earth does in a certain period of time. (Maybe a year, I don't remember.)

Of course, this explains that when Earth was still young, and covered with volcanic action, it was quite a bit warmer. Unbearably hot even. Over time it cooled.

But back to modern times...records show that the Earth has actually been cooling in the last several years. It was warmer from the 1930s to the 1950s than it is now. Must've been those 6 mpg cars we were driving around then using leaded gasoline, eh?

but they never mention that the Ice Pack in the Antartic Circle is actually growing!!!
Are you sure about this? I'm pretty sure i've seen pictures of how it's reducing over time, and now in some places you can see land instead of ice.

You know, it's funny how Greenland was named Greenland when around 80% of its surface is covered by ice. And it's a cause of worry that the ice melting there has hit a new record this last year. Not that we can do much about it, but I guess we should be preoccupied.

If I got it right, the southern hemisphere is warming as well, and because it is such a very tropical land, the warmer it gets the more moisture is released and carried away to the Antartic continent, thus making the ice sheet grow. However, it began decreasing at a considerable rate in the past few years, so this L6E guy hasn't got much of a point there.

What do I do?

I like to shoot ice cubes into space towards the sun. That way, when they hit the sun, they'll drop the suns temp by .00000000000000000000001 degree.

Look...Global Warming is nothing more than a cause that the global Left has grabbed on to to force the rest of us to give up our freedom of choice because they finally figured out that Communism has already been proven to be a failure when it comes to quelling people's freedom.

Global Warming Alarmists always point to the shrinking Ice Cap in the Artic Circle, but they never mention that the Ice Pack in the Antartic Circle is actually growing!!! You know there's a reason why Greenland was named Greenland.

This planet goes through phases in its climate. During prehistoric times, this planet was quite a bit warmer. Then came the Ice Ages. Why? The dinosaurs weren't driving SUVs. It's called volcanic action. A single volcanic eruption puts more Carbon Dioxide into the air than every vehicle on Earth does in a certain period of time. (Maybe a year, I don't remember.)

Of course, this explains that when Earth was still young, and covered with volcanic action, it was quite a bit warmer. Unbearably hot even. Over time it cooled.

But back to modern times...records show that the Earth has actually been cooling in the last several years. It was warmer from the 1930s to the 1950s than it is now. Must've been those 6 mpg cars we were driving around then using leaded gasoline, eh?

You know, this is basically the same reply I got @ the Anthrax forum. No wonder the planet is the way it is since apparently most Yankees are ignorant of their own situation.

Hmmm yeah ok, so "global warming in not real," it is a way to subdue "freedom of choice." Ok so I guess by "freedom of choice" you mean consumerism?

You know, it all fits. US economy is about to enter a recession because:

- People at the US are not buying as many houses as before (2007 meant a $800 billion lost).

- Optimism of constructors is at its lowest in 22 years.

- The real-estate crisis has certainly stopped being that and it has moved to other sectors such as financial institutions and the "real" sector.

- Credit restrictions and the continuos decline of the prices of houses will limit the consumerism of people and this will translate into less internal demand which in the end will take us to less growth (see next point).

- US economy has had a growth of not more than 1% GNP.

- Financial sector has decline in about 21%.

- The manufacturing and services area have been falling during 2007.

- Petrol is basically at $100 a barrel (the new "bottom line" for this year will be the $100 price tag, and it will just keep going up and up). The prices of petrol rose 49% last year (hence the nearly $100 price tag), and if to that you add the "geo-political" situation of the country (aka the US' ass being kicked in the Middle East -poor Yankee soldiers, there are sure having a tough time-), you have an even worse scenario.

So, obviously the government won't tell you that global warming is real because that would mean that you will stop consuming more and more everyday, hence the economy would go KAPUTT. And yet US people keep consuming a lot, hence augmenting the global warming problem.

More cars = more $$$ for the government = augmentation of global warming

Do you know that if things keep up, by the year 2030 there will be a hurricane in Florida every 30 minutes?

Katrina here we come again! Oh you damn Yankees claim that you are so united, that "you are one..." FUCK ME. If you were "one" you would have helped all those poor black people that suffered (and are still suffering) because of Katrina! Oh no but they are black people and they do not count, right? That's how the rest of the world sees the US. Even more, you do not realize how fucking incredible is that a hurricane actually went inside the land! You know, they usually stay in the sea and don't go into huge chunks of land like the US.

Do you know that the climate of Southern England is becoming like the one in Africa?

You may not feel it, but it has certainly become much hotter here in CR.

Oh well you won't feel it anyway, because the North will be the ones who will suffer the Ice Age the most if it is to occur.

It's funny how the rest of the world has to pay what the Chinese and Yankees are doing to it.

BIG LETTERS MAKE ME LOOK SMART! - Rahvin

- "DJ" LBRH

No need to get so angry. There will always be ignorant people -- that's why we still have organized "religion". And I honestly don't think the US and China deserve all the blame... A lot of it, for sure, maybe even most of it, but I live in Canada, and I don't see us (the government slightly more than the citizens, but we elected our government, so...) taking a lot of action. I'm assuming -- from what I've seen on imported British shows -- that the rest of the English-as-a-first-language world is not too different. I don't like the States at all, but we need to stop using them as a scapegoat and concentrate on fixing things at home. If you're a thief and your brother is a murderer, it doesn't change the fact that you are a thief.

And I'm not sure if it is all in my head or not, but I am pretty sure the summers have been getting noticably hotter than they were when I was a child. And this city I live in now is supposed to be absolutely freezing in the winter, but I've been here for three years and it hasn't really been that cold at all, aside from the one time there was a windchill of -50.

I probably sound like a hypocrite, but... the bag thing was not my call. :cry: An American told me to do it. Haha, seriously though.

EDIT: In before "blame Canada".

No, the reason Finland has high suicide rates is cos our language is different
from our neighbors and thus we can't communicate with them.

(Well, it's the only valid reason really. I mean, otherwise the Swedes,
Norwegians, Danes and some Russians would be killing themselves too, right?)

The real reason is because life in Finland is harsh. It's really hard to be young there because life is so expensive. It's terrible, I don't know how the current state of things are now though. But if it's the same, things need to change. It's sad. Not only that, but their school system is much harder. On top of that, they need to be fluent in Finnish and Swedish. Life in Finland is very hard, and it's really sad to see such a thing happen to young people (I'm one of them, don't think I'm old!).

And for the language, Finns shouldn't need to learn Swedish. There is about 3% or something similar who are Swedish living there. The only reason it's required is because Finland was part of Sweden and there are still 3% or so population living there. And most of them are really old! Honestly, live in Finland and learn Finnish. And this is something I feel strongly about, so don't try and argue with me :lol:

I have plenty of family in Finland, and many of them are really messed up in their head (no, not retarded. As in manipulative, and social problems...trusting people, etc) due to abuse. There are many factors here. That, and it's cold :(.

So, please before posting something like that, think it through! That's my little contribution to the thread, which, has nothing to do with global warming! For that matter, I'm all for it. I recycle and such, reuse plastic bags...nothing much beyond that :p

And I'm not sure if it is all in my head or not, but I am pretty sure the summers have been getting noticably hotter than they were when I was a child. And this city I live in now is supposed to be absolutely freezing in the winter, but I've been here for three years and it hasn't really been that cold at all, aside from the one time there was a windchill of -50.
It is my understanding that people tolerate heat less as they grow older. Maybe kids are just more flexible and adaptable in this sense.
Also i have to point out that our normal winter low temperature is around +10C where i live. It never snows. Yet, about 4 years ago there was snow right outside my house. What does that mean? That the weather is getting colder? That the weather is getting crazy? You might think so, but i say none of the above, cause it snowed in the exact same place 20 years ago.

The real reason is because life in Finland is harsh. It's really hard to be young there because life is so expensive. It's terrible, I don't know how the current state of things are now though. But if it's the same, things need to change. It's sad. Not only that, but their school system is much harder. On top of that, they need to be fluent in Finnish and Swedish. Life in Finland is very hard, and it's really sad to see such a thing happen to young people (I'm one of them, don't think I'm old!).
Life is harsh in Finland?? I can't imagine what it must be like in Africa then.
Seriously, i'll cry me a river because finnish kids have to learn 2 languages and have a hard school system and things are expensive there. Cause that happens nowhere else in the world, dude!

Finland's problem is that it has no sun. And that people don't talk. And they just drink. That's about it.

Life is harsh in Finland?? I can't imagine what it must be like in Africa then.
Seriously, i'll cry me a river because finnish kids have to learn 2 languages and have a hard school system and things are expensive there. Cause that happens nowhere else in the world, dude!

Finland's problem is that it has no sun. And that people don't talk. And they just drink. That's about it.

Hence, Africa has TONS of problems. So, the example is void. People killing everyone, so forth. You try being desperate. I was simply quoting him saying "Oh, well, the suicide rate is that high because they can't communicate with other Scandinavian nations." I was simply disproving that. And saying "oh, they drink, that's all there is to it" is simply being bloody ignorant. And you know that as much as I do. Why does everyone drink? Is there a cause of that? Oh, perhaps! Sunlight, ha! People who live there get used to it. Take, for example Ice land....highest expectancy out there...and surely, you don't mean to tell me that Africa has a low suicide rate or such because they have much sun? Oh, be reasonable. And for the second, read the quote in which I was answering...I'm not looking to sympathize with Finns, but put more ideas behind the suicides. And surely you understand too that it's the government's job to protect people and hence doing something. I'm a Swede, yet most of my family is indeed Finnish, and I loath many of them for their manipulating ways. I'm just saying that "hey, think about it!".