colors

Mikael is God

Master of Bating
Jul 7, 2001
NY
darkhorizon.freeservers.com
Ok... i was trying to explain tonight, the theory of people seeing different colors then each other, in the sense that the actual look of the colors is different, but they call it the same thing...... like... john looks at red and sees what bob's green looks like......... but they both know the colors as RED..... hard to explain, im sure someone will understand what im talking about, but theres no way to prove that theory wrong, except by being ignorant.... so what do you think about this?

The fact that the same stimulus may create a slightly different response in the brains of two differeent subjects would seem to be irrelevant as long as both subjects were able to continuously recognize the stimulus.
The fact that colours are simply interpretations in our brain of different wavelengths of light suggests that because the chemical composition of the optic system is relatively the same the reactions within our individual brains must be fairly similar. Certain disorders, such as colour blindness, result from the brain being unable to properly differentiate between wavelengths of light.
As for knowing exactly what another person percieves, it is impossible. We must suffice that when the wavelength of light that stimulates in one brain a response that in English is called red, in another brain it will create a similar enough response that this brain too will recognize the stimulus as 'red'.

Interesting question.

Did you know that the human eye is only biologically equiped to perceive three colors or so? Yet we see all colors. I'm not too clear about the facts of this, I'm basically vaguely rehashing what I remember from highschool.

Color blindness is one thing, but it's definitely more puzzling to think about the possibility that another's "reality" may not be like our own. What if my color scheme is completely different from yours, what are all the implications of this, and is there any way to tell?

Here's a question: in this visual realm of things, are there things that we might take as universal? White and black perhaps?

My basic instinct on this is that colors are not so subjective, capable of being everything and nothing, free from laws. There is soemthing that "gives" it its reality, and the reality that is produced is not merely a human reality, or the reality of bob, bill, or tom, different to anyone and everyone. So I don't think there can be in truth radically different perceptions of the same thing.

two cents from EVIL

Yeah, but as a kid, I don't think I ever received a satisfactory answer to the question:

The world was black and white until recently. I can prove it - look at the TV. The older shows are in black and white, and only newer ones are in color. When did the world change from black and white to color?:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I've had the same thought myself as well. If what I see is red, but when you see it, you see what I would think is green, yet to you it is red and it has always been red and you call it red, then we can never know if you and I are seeing the same thing, or if it's completely different and we'd never be able to recognize, nevermind communicate that due to the simple fact that "we accept the reality with which we are presented" (Ed Harris's character, "Christof", from The Truman Show).

It's exactly irrelivant, but this simplistic example displays for us the boundaries of our senses quite concisely.

Actually, color blindness is not in the brain. The retina consists of two kinds of receptors, cones and I don't know the english term for the other. Cones make us see colors, the others make us see lightness/darkness (ie, the more of these, the better nightsight).

Cones can normally receive three colors, red green and blue. Colorblindness is partial or full lack of perception of one or more of these. There's also a myth about people who have can receive an extra channel (quadchromats?) and there's research being done but nothing has been proven yet.

Let's hope that came across the languagebarrier unscathed. >P

my brain hurts.

as long as people dont get confused if they see what they think is red but is green then the green ignites with the red contrasting with the green making red thusforth green appears although red the confusion fuses green which perchance is red.:loco:

as i was saying, as long as you dont get confused and are able to live ok knowing this there is no problem.

:err:

CMYK...........?

I've always wished you could switch bodies with people for brief moments. Like when you're sick and you go to the docs, switch with him for a moment and he'll know what's wrong with you. If someone wants to tell you how they feel about this or that, switch with them and they'll know. If they see something like colors different, switch bodies and see through their eyes for a moment. I've been wishing that for a years. I know it'll never happen, but wouldn't it help dammit.:p

im colourblind.. partially..
its weird to think that i miss out on what most people get to see..

its unfair..

you can say the same things about all the senses....

i mean if everyone tasted cheese the way i tasted cheese then NOBODY would eat the shit!

Originally posted by Opet
:err:

CMYK...........?

I've always wished you could switch bodies with people for brief moments. Like when you're sick and you go to the docs, switch with him for a moment and he'll know what's wrong with you. If someone wants to tell you how they feel about this or that, switch with them and they'll know. If they see something like colors different, switch bodies and see through their eyes for a moment. I've been wishing that for a years. I know it'll never happen, but wouldn't it help dammit.:p
hehehe, hmmm, but wouldnt this doctor then know your deepest and darkest secrets??
this technology would need some work...

maybe u r switching all the time, but as soon as u switch u take on all the memories and such and u never remember that u were someone else....

its like thinking maybe i just started existing 2 minutes ago, maybe this current me IS an entirely different person to the 'me' i see in the photos from years ago...i think im way too tired to fully explain these things, but maybe someone understands what im getting at anyway..

thats getting rather off-topic tho!!

Yeah I thought about that for a while! Butthen thought it triggers the same emotional responses in people - like black = depressing, and I don't think that is only due to upbringing. So I came to the conclusion that tho we see colours slightly differently from each other we don't really see completely different colours. I think a good analogy would be accents. Since we all speak differently accents sound different to all of us. However when you try and impersonate an accent well, you change the elemnts that are different to you so it sounds like ur speaking with that accent to other people as well (hehe that was very badly put? Does it still kinda make sense)

Originally posted by warsofwinter
My theory , It doesn't exist , nothing , color , image , toutch , taste , hearing , nothin exist , it's just all a big lie , hahahaha

Nonsense,

Nothing exists except for the person who exists to doubt that something exists.

Thus, "Cogito ergo sum," -- Descartes

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by E V I L Nothing exists except for the person who exists to doubt that something exists.

U mean something only exists when someone doubts it exists? Or that only the person exists as they doubt things exist

:s aaaaah my brain is hurting (probably due to the long periods of non use :) )

Yeah, like you know how red, blue, and purple are considered "royal" type colors, can you imagine someone who sees your red as yellow, now does yellow seem royal to you? Yellow is a bright color that hurts my eyes slightly, not at all royal. And brown doesn't seem at all royal, it's drab and common.

And like in a painting if you use a lot of oranges, reds, and yellows the painting will seem intense or agressive, where a painting with purples and blues would seem calm and soothing. (yes I know there are exceptions like how the lines are, but I just mean in general) And I think most everyone agrees that certain colors are more intense, and some colors look better (how many people prefer brown as a color for their car).