Concept Albums

Which one of these is concept albums do you like best?

• Total voters

FatesFan

Dec 18, 2004
Curious as to which of these is your favorite concept album.

1. Ayreon - The Human Equation
2. Fates Warning - APSOG
3. Heavenly - Dust to Dust
4. Symphony X - V
5. Dream Theater - SFAM

I chose not to include Mindcrime because I felt that it would rule all. So chose yours and explain why if you chose. Or if your favorite is not here, list yours and expalin.

Of those listed, I have to go with DT: SFAM. But I think my favorite concept album of all time is Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth, with Orphaned Land's Mabool a close second.

ragingsaxmachine said:
I believe that nothing touches Scenes from a Memory, concept album wise.
When it comes to metal I'd say Queensryche's Operation:Mindcrime is the best of all in the concept category.

As for the listed concept discs I went with Symphony X's V. It's not my favorite disc of theirs, but it's my favorite of those listed.

Britt

DarkTide said:
When it comes to metal I'd say Queensryche's Operation:Mindcrime is the best of all in the concept category.

As for the listed concept discs I went with Symphony X's V. It's not my favorite disc of theirs, but it's my favorite of those listed.

Britt
Ditto.

I prefer Star One to the above listed.

FatesFan said:
Curious as to which of these is your favorite concept album.

1. Ayreon - The Human Equation
2. Fates Warning - APSOG
3. Heavenly - Dust to Dust
4. Symphony X - V
5. Dream Theater - SFAM

I chose not to include Mindcrime because I felt that it rule all. So chose yours and explain why if you chose. Or if your favorite is not here, list yours and expalin.

The first half of 2112. Great straight ahead story telling, a thought provoking tale, and class
A musicians. The album blew me away the first time I heard it and I still spin it quite regularly.

I highly, highly recommend Wasp "The Crimson Idol", easily hands down in my top 5. Definately an album that was not given the respect it should have both at the time it came out and even now.

Savatage - Streets
King Diamond - Abigail, Them/Conspiracy
Grave Digger - Tunes of War

DarkTide said:

I'd probably agree. I'd have to include PoS's Remedy Lane among my favorites as well, but I don't think that'd be a popular opinion around here. :)

And I agree, WS, The Crimson Idol is a pretty darn good album. Just picked up a new copy of it on my honeymoon, as a matter of fact.

Shaye

1) The Wall - Pink floyd
2) Operation Mind Crime - Queensryce
3) Wake Of Magellan - Savatage
4) Dead Winter Dead - Savatage
5) King Diamond - Them

:zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

guardian26 said:
Of those listed, I have to go with DT: SFAM. But I think my favorite concept album of all time is Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth, with Orphaned Land's Mabool a close second.

I wish I had thought of that one because I love that album! :headbang:

Also, those that mentioned King Diamond.............:kickass: Them is one of favorite concept albums as well.

I voted for THE -- a great concept with excellent music, killer vocals, and an interesting twist at the end. While I don’t think I could pick a single favorite, others not listed on the poll that I really enjoy include:

Rush – 2112 (Showing my age here, but I still think of the concept part as “Side One”)
Queensryche – the original O:M
Shadow Gallery – Tyranny/Room V (Except I would like them even more if I knew how the story ended…)
Trans-Siberian Orchestra – Beethoven’s Last Night (I like the Christmas trilogy as well)
Savatage – All of the concept CD’s they’ve released, but especially “Dead Winter Dead”
Nikolo Kotzev’s “Nostradamus”
Iron Maiden – 7th Son of a 7th Son
Pyramaze – Legend of the Bone Carver

Honorable mention to Blind Guardian’s “Nightfall in Middle Earth.” I don’t get into the music on this one as much as I do with the previously mentioned CDs. However, since it took me about 15 years of stops and starts before eventually reading “The Silmarillion” in its entirety -- in my mother tongue -- hats off to these guys for creating such a complex tribute to the story in English. :worship:

Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Pyramaze - Legend of the Bone Carver
Pagans Mind - enigmatic: calling
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth
Iced Earth - The Dark Saga
EPICA - Consign to Oblivion

and pretty much any Rhapsody album. ;)

not to mention those listed above by W.A.S.P., King Diamond, Savatage, etc.

Well, the only one i really liked was Symphony X. My all time favorite concept albums are.

PYRAMAZE - "Legend of the Bone Carver"
FRAGILE VASTNESS - "The Cycle of Life"
WASTEFALL - "Self Exile"
LORD OF MUSHROOMS - " 7 Deadly Songs"
ROYAL HUNT - "The Mission"

These provide hours of awesome listening enjoy and are on my MP3 player that i use everyday at work.

DarkTide said:

Britt

Agree 1000%... Queensrÿche crafted a masterpiece with O:M in 1988. 18 years later and there is still nothing that comes close to beating it. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the follow-up O:MII - there are only about two or three passable songs on that disc <sigh...>

I'd also give honorable mention to the recent releases by Pyramaze - The Legend of the Bone Carver and Christ.0 by Vanden Plas. I'm enjoying spinning both of those discs a lot in my CD player.