Concert Behavior

I'm wondering if this guy is a troll or not... trolls usually don't respond to messages by other people, and they usually focus on one person at a time until that person starts flipping out to make them look stupid... I see how it goes.

This guy said:
Hahahaha! You're going to die of cardiac arrest at a young age, fatass!
That's true. I need to lose weight. But my bloodline has never had heart problems, so I don't think it will be cardiac arrest as much as probably just dying of too much stress. ;)

wwallinga said:
Some observations from 3 Opeth shows in the past 2 years...

1. Why do people mosh and crowdsurf at Opeth shows? It's not the right type of music, idiots! There's definitely a time for it - say the outro to Deliverance or the chorus of DOTF. But nothing drives me crazier than when some fucking moron wants to start a pit during the acoustic part of say, Blackwater Park. Hearing UTWM was totally ruined by just a few people who couldn't have the decency to stand still and listen.

2. The same goes for talking and screaming during the acoustic parts. STFU people! If you're going to ever understand Opeth, you must first shut your mouth.

My guess is that both of these questions fall into the common category of "People are stupid." Now that Opeth is gaining new fans (thanks a lot SOTU and MTV...) I'm thinking we're going to have to deal with these people more and more often.

Does anyone else have any similar experiences or complaints about concert behavior? I know we can't really do anything about it, but I was interested in what everyone else thought.

In Milwaukee the only time I saw any moshing/crowd surfing was at the end of Deliverance. But it was also the encore, so c'mon!! How could you not go a little crazy?

The talking stuff does annoy me for sure.

And as far as the new fans go: woah. I was surprised at the number of short haired kids in Slipknot shirts I saw.. and even a few swoopy haired emo/hardcore kids.. Wow. I guess it shows that Opeth is amazing and transcends genre, but they're just not a death metal secret anymore.. :cry:

I understand that pits are a part of every metal show........but I CANNOT STAND the GAY-ASS SLAM DANCERS. The hardcore kids ruin absolutely everything that could be good in a metal show! What IS that shit anyway!??!

Now..on moshing...I stay out of them because I can't see how running into a complete stranger and maybe throwing an elbow into a girl's head is going to somehow enhance the music, but hey, you people do what you like.

What I absolutely can not condone is when violence becomes the focus - I was in the crowd at a show last April with a good friend of mine. Nearly simultaneously, someone jumped on my friend's back and started mashing his face with his forearms. This person would NOT get off my friend's back despite a struggle to get him off. As I went to his aid, another person nearly 7 feet tall GRABBED MY THROAT and began choking me. When I yelled "What the fuck are you doing?!", he finally let go and started shoving people to get up front. I could not believe what had just happened. Mind you, these are people we've never so much as made eye contact with much less given them a reason to exact harm onto us! I paid for a fucking show - not an assault.

Stage diving = ridiculous. Not only is the aim to harm other people, but you hurt yourself too...hmmm...masochism perhaps?

Moshing during the first few minutes of Face of Melinda and the interlude in Under the Weeping Moon is just stupid....

Indrid Cold said:
What I absolutely can not condone is when violence becomes the focus - I was in the crowd at a show last April with a good friend of mine. Nearly simultaneously, someone jumped on my friend's back and started mashing his face with his forearms. This person would NOT get off my friend's back despite a struggle to get him off. As I went to his aid, another person nearly 7 feet tall GRABBED MY THROAT and began choking me. When I yelled "What the fuck are you doing?!", he finally let go and started shoving people to get up front. I could not believe what had just happened. Mind you, these are people we've never so much as made eye contact with much less given them a reason to exact harm onto us! I paid for a fucking show - not an assault.
:ill: Well, thanks. Now you make not ever want to go to a concert. That stuff scares the hell out of me. Not only am I fat, but I also have muscle problems and diabetes so I would probably die in that situation. :erk:

That's right, I've never been to a concert before. :zombie:

At every show your always going to get a certain level of stupidity and disrespect amoung a certain minority of the people there. I have no problem with people moshing, crowd-surfing etc..as long as its done properly. By that i mean for example, dont be flayling your legs and arms all over the place if your going to crowdsurf. When i was at the ozzfest over here, some twat that was crowdsurfing was doing exactly what you he shouldnt have been doing. I ended up getting a pretty hard kick in the head from him as he passed over. I then proceeded to give the dick a hefty punch in time.

Kenneth R. said:
i been to a gay bar. everyone there was gay except me and the 3 straight girls dancing with me. :p

I've been wondering how that works. I met a girl the other day. Cool chick, sang opera, listened to metal etc etc. Asked her where she was going tonight. "A gay bar." she replied :err: I said, "I'll talk to you later," and walked away.

There always has to be something weird. :loco:

Kenneth R. said:
if you're the only one then they're allll yours ;)

haha yes. But you have to ask: Why are the there? They want to hang out with guys that don't want to have sex with them? Ok, I don't necessarily want to have sex, but other people... ...so... ...anyway, It would be awkward.

edit - sorry to derail the thread. violence sucks!

yes, chicks like gay bars b/c we can go there and dance and not worry about guys hitting on us. we can get as drunk as we like and know that our gay friend(s) will take us home and not take advantage of us. its a security thing.

alienuth said:
yes, chicks like gay bars b/c we can go there and dance and not worry about guys hitting on us. we can get as drunk as we like and know that our gay friend(s) will take us home and not take advantage of us. its a security thing.

Ok, that's cool. But then me being there would kind of ruin it wouldn't it? Not that I would ever think of taking advantage.

And Indrid, you can't get raped by a lezbian. At least I don't think you can. haha.

at the Towson show, people were moshing but I think it was mostly during the heavy parts (Ghost of Perdition, end of Deliverance, etc.).

It seemed like the only people moshing werent even watching Opeth and weren't fans of Opeth, so they didnt know what to do during the more mellow parts.

I wanted to punch kids in the face who would yell out in the middle of the songs like Under the Weeping Moon, Drapery Falls, etc.

I dont know why these people even go to the show, hopefully there will be less dumb asses when Opeth comes back.

They probably dont wanna come back for awhile anyways for dumb ass US kids who act disrespectful, complain about setlists, and are just overall a bunch of wankers.

Indrid Cold said:
Well, isn't it possible that you could be hit on by a lesbian? I'm guessing these places aren't exactly men's clubs.

Yeah, but chances are they won't be pushy like guys tend to be. They just feel it's a safer environment, most women I know tend to favour the gay bars.