contraversial musical opinions

What is catchy, bouncy, memorable, etc. = what sells. This is not an opinion. Look at the patterns throughout the history of popular culture. Most Metal is highly abrasive and obviously heavy, which does not appeal to the sensibilities of the average person, which is why it doesn't sell particularly well. It's also not marketed very well. Obviously quality is subjective, which is WHY record sales have nothing to do with quality. Any argument using record sales as an example of variation in quality of music should be instantly invalidated. For example, Turbo sold better than Defenders Of The Faith. Does anyone here think that Turbo is better than Defenders Of The Faith? In terms of Metal Defenders is widely regarded to be superior to Turbo. Why, then, did the latter sell more? Because it's higher quality? Or because it's catchier, bouncier, more memorable, was better marketed, capitalized on the latest trends, and was generally more easy to consume. NONE of those characteristics have ANYTHING to do with quality on any but the most plebeian level.

1. Burzum only ever had about 4-5 good songs.

2. Maiden>Priest. Metallica>Megadeth.

3. Drudkh, Enslaved, Agalloch, Katatonia and Slough Feg are all overrated.

4. The Gathering Wilderness is Primordial's best.

5. Tuonela and Eclipse > Elegy

6. Here In After and Failure for Gods > Dawn of Possession

7. Running Wild - Death or Glory is the best power metal album ever.

8. Cryptopsy, Porcupine Tree, Neurosis, Manes, Deicide, Mutiilation, Dream Theater and Ulver are garbage

9. Opeth started sucking after Still Life.

10. Dark Tranquillity has never really released anything bad.

11. All grindcore is shit.

12. All post-rock/post-metal is shit.

13. Meshuggah is one of the most innovative metal bands today

14. The last good power metal release was Nightfall in Middle Earth.

15. Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods are the worst Bathory releases.

16. The 60s was the worst decade in music history (probably to be replaced by the 00s).

17. I can't stand anything Garm is involved in.

18. Graveland has been extremely average since Immortal Pride.

What is catchy, bouncy, memorable, etc. = what sells. This is not an opinion. Look at the patterns throughout the history of popular culture. Most Metal is highly abrasive and obviously heavy, which does not appeal to the sensibilities of the average person, which is why it doesn't sell particularly well. It's also not marketed very well. Obviously quality is subjective, which is WHY record sales have nothing to do with quality. Any argument using record sales as an example of variation in quality of music should be instantly invalidated. For example, Turbo sold better than Defenders Of The Faith. Does anyone here think that Turbo is better than Defenders Of The Faith? In terms of Metal Defenders is widely regarded to be superior to Turbo. Why, then, did the latter sell more? Because it's higher quality? Or because it's catchier, bouncier, more memorable, was better marketed, capitalized on the latest trends, and was generally more easy to consume. NONE of those characteristics have ANYTHING to do with quality on any but the most plebeian level.

while I agree with 99.9% of this post, memorability is still very important in terms of writing quality songs regardless of whether it is britney spears or it is morbid angel.

1. Burzum only ever had about 4-5 good songs.

2. Maiden>Priest. Metallica>Megadeth.

3. Drudkh, Enslaved, Agalloch, Katatonia and Slough Feg are all overrated.

4. The Gathering Wilderness is Primordial's best.

5. Tuonela and Eclipse > Elegy

6. Here In After and Failure for Gods > Dawn of Possession

7. Running Wild - Death or Glory is the best power metal album ever.

8. Cryptopsy, Porcupine Tree, Neurosis, Manes, Deicide, Mutiilation, Dream Theater and Ulver are garbage

9. Opeth started sucking after Still Life.

10. Dark Tranquillity has never really released anything bad.

11. All grindcore is shit.

12. All post-rock/post-metal is shit.

13. Meshuggah is one of the most innovative metal bands today

14. The last good power metal release was Nightfall in Middle Earth.

15. Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods are the worst Bathory releases.

16. The 60s was the worst decade in music history (probably to be replaced by the 00s).

17. I can't stand anything Garm is involved in.

18. Graveland has been extremely average since Immortal Pride.

:zombie:

Houston, we have a problem!!!

while I agree with 99.9% of this post, memorability is still very important in terms of writing quality songs regardless of whether it is britney spears or it is morbid angel.

Hvis Lyset Tar Oss begs to differ. Also, the 'memorability' I'm specifically referring to is more in line with the 'hit single' mentality followed by pop bands, manufacturing memorable chorus lines under a catchy beat so that people will request that radios play that song, things of that nature. My main point, however, is that memorability has nothing to do with quality, not that memorable material is low quality.

I'm specifically referring to is more in line with the 'hit single' mentality followed by pop bands, manufacturing memorable chorus lines under a catchy beat so that people will request that radios play that song, things of that nature.

ya I got it

the type of memorability I am talking about is listening to the first morbid angel song and being absolutely blown away and that song becomes highly memorable to you

We'll I actually have seen people on this board as well as offline consider Turbo to be a better quality album over Defender. Do I agree with them? Of course not. I have different ears as do you.

Reason Turbo sold more then Defenders? Because they were at the height of their popularity & the fans were going to buy it blindly before they even heard it regardless of one's opinion about it's quality when the album debuted.Back in the 80's you couldn't really download samples for lack of a internet and such.But much like movies and their sequels. When the sequels debut it will do massively good on opening weekend but if it's bad quality you will see those sales go down dramatically the next two weekends or so as word gets around that the sequels suck. Same concept with the albums.

Like St. Anger. People bought that pretty much blindly before hearing it when it debuted & sold well regardless of what you and me think of it's quality.But after that initial debut week I'm the sales dropped dramatically when word got around it sucked. I consider it bad quality but some people on this board I have seen do not.

I seen this phenomenon when I worked record stores back in the 90's first hand. Again just your opinion much like a music critic's opinion about what is a quality album or not.

Hvis Lyset Tar Oss begs to differ. Also, the 'memorability' I'm specifically referring to is more in line with the 'hit single' mentality followed by pop bands, manufacturing memorable chorus lines under a catchy beat so that people will request that radios play that song, things of that nature. My main point, however, is that memorability has nothing to do with quality, not that memorable material is low quality.

Radio play notwithstanding but certain albums in the extreme world had "memorable" hits per say and sold well by extreme standards such as Darkthrone's Transylvanian Hunger and it's title track which was/is memorable & the rest of the album wasn't as good quality imo as that one song.It sold well for it's time and music scene and continues to do so. Memorability not having anything to do with quality again is your opinion. Someone else like Hell Awaits Us All thinks differently & that is his opinion.If a album tests the sands of time because of it's memorability among other things that can be construed because it is/was a good quality album but again that is opinion.

I don't much like Led Zep and Yes released a few really crappy albums - whereas Deep Purple at least released "just okay" albums and no really awful ones, Floyd is made of cocks.

I like all of Yes's albums. Aerosmith's Get Your Wings and Alice Cooper's Schools Out are amazing too

I don't much like Led Zep and Yes released a few really crappy albums - whereas Deep Purple at least released "just okay" albums and no really awful ones, Floyd is made of cocks.

wow... you need to get laid by a 13 year old girl for that bad opinion on all those bands except Yes. Perhaps then you will come to your senses :lol: Case in point... Pure genius:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2hFZ8KnsSo&NR=1

I like DSOTM and Animals, but neither come close to some of the masterpieces the mighty Purple created.