contraversial musical opinions

I'm not talking about metal and much less extreme metal.. I'm talking about all non metal music... record sales do give a indication of quality in certain music... if sales are down for a certain album of a band that normally sells very good then obviously the quality of that album is not good because the fans are not buying it...

That's the pop music for the masses mentality. Look at Metallica. Album sales went up as quality went down. Album sales doesn't indicate quality, it indicates mass appeal through easily digestible songs that people can remember and cheer along with and hum along to while on in the background...and shake their booty to.

All non-metal is too broad a category to make any statements about. That encompases pop to jazz fusion to hillbilly bluegrass played with a jug and a wash basin.

ack

That's the pop music for the masses mentality. Look at Metallica. Album sales went up as quality went down. Album sales doesn't indicate quality, it indicates mass appeal through easily digestible songs that people can remember and cheer along with and hum along to while on in the background...and shake their booty to.

All non-metal is too broad a category to make any statements about. That encompases pop to jazz fusion to hillbilly bluegrass played with a jug and a wash basin.

ack

this man is correct. :kickass:

I can see what you're saying but I sort of disagree. To some extent quality will dictate that, but keep in mind promotion and publicity which play huge roles in mainstream music. Especially since downloading music has skewered that even more. I mean most fans of mainstream music I've talked to admittedly like the hit singles from bands and download one track, rather than buy albums. "Why would I want to buy an album if I only like one song?" and this kind of logic which isn't found much in metal.

We'll I did say in the 1990's before the rise of the internet and downloadable music. I can't find them now and I won't look for them because it's probably like finding a needle in a haystack but I do read business sections of newspapers since the 1980's and back in the 90's articles came out about the declining CD sales. The music industry as a whole and not just 1 or 2 artists. So to base your argument on just Metallica is null. And it had to do with quality of the music back then.And not for lack of trying. We all know these major labels spend huge amounts of money on promotion & publicity. But no amount of such things will save a bad quality album.Much like a movie they may do good the first week or two but word quickly gets around that this album sucks & the sales fall from there. Metallica not withstanding. Their albums (and don't hold it against me because I am not going to look it up) sales reached a peak at a particular album and has gone down each album after that peak. Perhaps due to bad quality or the download industry or both.Fans are now aware of their bad quality no matter how much promotion is behind them from their label and are hesitant to buy their albums. But I am not saying just them and especially not all bands/artists.But the quality of music in the 1990's sucked in the mainstream and the slowdown in sales back then showed it. I myself didn't buy any albums in the 1990's if you can believe that & I worked at two record stores back then :lol: That experience also gave me a first hand account in terms of sales in the stores i worked at. I did buy in the early 90's but not mid to late 90's.

ack

Read post above... basing your argument on one band alone is not enough... there are always some bands that will always sell and then there are bands that always sell but in the 1990's they didnt sell because the quality sucked. Metallica peaked in the 90's and been downhill since in sales. Look it up to see where they peaked and when they started going down in sales. Probably had to do with downloads (Napster as Lars blamed it)but also people weren't going to buy their bad quality albums no more.

Anyways like i said the music industry overall had declining CD sales and not a few bands/artists.Were there bands/artists that sold alot , of course there were. But the industry as a whole were down in sales.If it were not for bad quality then for what is your explanation? I saw the bad quality and I didn't buy albums in the mid to late 90's. That's about 5 years of not buying albums.

"Jihad" wasn't a bad song, the beginning of the song was uncalled for, but after that Rage Against the Machine intro it turned into a good song. I understand what you mean, but these guys are in their mid to high 40's and still playing pretty fast. Yes, today there are bands that are so fast and so technical they make Slayer look like the Partridge Family, but for their age I can't complain. I've seen so many bands dissappear into the cracks, and others just totally go soft, while Slayer is NOT what they used to be, I think they still have a strong fanbase and alot of good album still to come.

PS----Grammy? I don't watch TV, I didn't even know Slayer was on the Grammy's. When did they start putting real music on the grammys?

"Jihad" wasn't a bad song, the beginning of the song was uncalled for, but after that Rage Against the Machine intro it turned into a good song. I understand what you mean, but these guys are in their mid to high 40's and still playing pretty fast. Yes, today there are bands that are so fast and so technical they make Slayer look like the Partridge Family, but for their age I can't complain. I've seen so many bands dissappear into the cracks, and others just totally go soft, while Slayer is NOT what they used to be, I think they still have a strong fanbase and alot of good album still to come.

Motörhead owns every other band at being metal granddaddies who still play as fast as when they started out. Lemmy's fucking 61 for chrissake!

Motörhead owns every other band at being metal granddaddies who still play as fast as when they started out. Lemmy's fucking 61 for chrissake!

Lemmy is God :kickass: and as much as he is one ugly SOB he doesn't seem to age... he looks the same as he did in the 70's, 80's and 90's.... plastic surgery u think to keep those worts looking fresh? :lol:

Unfaithfully Metalhead: Record sales and quality of material have NO correlation whatsoever in the mainstream. Everything that AchrisK said is true, and his argument was not based only on Metallica, that was merely an example. In The mainstream, things sell based on how catchy and bouncy and memorable it is and how well it is marketed. In case you didn't figure it out, catchiness, bounciness, memorability, and marketing have nothing to do with the quality of the music itself. Mainstream sales are all about appealing to the lowest common denominator, which is the farthest removed from critical listeners, so their amount of purchasing a given album should not even be brought up when discussing the quality of an album.

Unfaithfully Metalhead: Record sales and quality of material have NO correlation whatsoever in the mainstream. Everything that AchrisK said is true, and his argument was not based only on Metallica, that was merely an example. In The mainstream, things sell based on how catchy and bouncy and memorable it is and how well it is marketed. In case you didn't figure it out, catchiness, bounciness, memorability, and marketing have nothing to do with the quality of the music itself. Mainstream sales are all about appealing to the lowest common denominator, which is the farthest removed from critical listeners, so their amount of purchasing a given album should not even be brought up when discussing the quality of an album.

I don't what we'd do without you, Nec.

No offense Doden... but the quality of any band/artist and/or their albums is strictly based on one's opinion. What is quality to you may not be quality to someone else. And Vice versa.As for catchiness, bounciness, memorability etc... they can be applied to any music including extreme metal. Again what is catchy, bouncy, memorable etc. to us in extreme metal is not to someone in mainstream and vice/versa... what you are saying is nothing but your own opinion...