Controversial opinions on metal

In regards to Manowar...I used to love the band when I was younger but now I really dont like them.

Anyone else never see the hype with Burzum? Just sounds so bland to me.
i-said-what.jpg

I'm finding that one of the chief flaws with newer attempts at old school metal is length. Albums with enormous classic potential are dragged down a fair bit by length. And I'm not talking about that ambient black metal or funeral doom that's supposed to be drawn out; it's happening with old school style bands like:

Absu
Deathevokation
Hail
Ares Kingdom
Averse Sefira

..just to name a few..

Listen to Return to Dust for sure, it's pretty much a more concise version of Incendiary with, imo, slightly better riffs.

I agree I find 'Return To Dust'more enjoyable aswell.Even 'Firestorms and Chaos'(demo stuff,live stuff ect.)I personally find more enjoyable.The new one just is'nt as memorable.Fucking love this song from Return To Dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else never see the hype with Burzum? Just sounds so bland to me.

I definitely wouldn't use the word "bland", but I don't remotely enjoy them either. Most of the established black metal bands I can enjoy in at least small doses, but Burzum is entirely intolerable.

EDIT: Actually, Belus had some decent songs, so I take that back. His voice is less annoying now, or something.

Manilla Road hate aside, I think you're crazy. Did you listen to any other song? Or any song after that album, for that matter?

I listened to a couple other songs from the same album and they weren't much better. Neither is the one you've posted. The singer sounds like Eric Adams recording when he doesn't want to wake his parents, the riffs are again hardly existent, and the keyboards are still flowery. Now that I think of it, they sound like Dio's campier solo moments, sans Dio's great voice and with riffs stripped down often to the bare chords.

Burzum, especially from Det Som En Gang Var to Filosofem, brings you to another world of his creation. That's one thing I always look for in music, is being able to get lost in it, to visualize the music. There is a lot to Burzum that many people will never understand. By the way for anyone who likes where Burzum was going before jailtime and hasn't heard Drudkh yet, check them out. Especially the albums Autumn Aurora and Forgotten Legends.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxbntgdZIq0&feature=related[/ame]

Perhaps a bad example of trying to compare to Burzum but its my favorite by them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Varg yelling 'whoreeeee' with his really shitty music in the background, hilarious.