Controversial opinions on metal

Does anybody actually have any examples of poor musicianship hindering an album, preferably something that is not deliberately raw and stripped down? I for the life of me can't think of a single example. You only have to get it right on one take on a recording. Live, on the other hand, is another matter. For example, Euronymous butchering the solo in Freezing Moon on Live in Leipzig pisses me off, not merely because it's bad playing, but it's one of the best solos (not from a technical standpoint) in black metal.

i do find sometimes that outstanding musicianship makes a significant difference when compared to mere competence. but yeah i rarely hear bands actually fucking up on their albums except in cases when it's barely noticable or ends up sounding good anyway.

The only Virgin Steele I've heard was either poppy stereotypically-80's metal that makes Winger look like WASP, and pompous "epic" Manilla Road-styled crap. Certainly nothing to compete with the greatness that is Hail to England.

It's my opinion that you can't really make a good judgment call if you haven't heard The Marriage of Heaven and Hell and beyond. That's their best and most epic material.

I was going to ask "That's the one with the butt, right?" but remembered that Google existed to answer simple questions. I'm listening to I Wake Up Screaming right now, and can't believe that this is 1994. This sounds like 1984, and I mean in a bad way. The riff is so fucking repetitive and rock-ish in that exact way that makes Manilla Road a worthless band, and the double bass is too slow for proper power metal, this is more like Europe. Not remotely epic.

EDIT: And boy these keyboards are weak. :erk:

After listening to a decent chunk of The Marriage of... I can say that Virgin Steele is pretty good. I still prefer Manowar, though. And on the subject of Manilla Road, they ain't bad but the vocals annoy me at some points.

Glemselens Elv is Burzum`s best track.

Look, I like Anal Cunt and Controlled Bleeding, two other acts which are also defined as being music. I would personally define all aforementioned acts as more performance art rather than music, but I understand that the widely accepted definition of a collection of sounds, whether or not they posses the traditional attributes of music (rhythm, melody, etc.) is still defined as music. BTW, so is your face. ;)

no u :p

I was going to ask "That's the one with the butt, right?" but remembered that Google existed to answer simple questions. I'm listening to I Wake Up Screaming right now, and can't believe that this is 1994. This sounds like 1984, and I mean in a bad way. The riff is so fucking repetitive and rock-ish in that exact way that makes Manilla Road a worthless band, and the double bass is too slow for proper power metal, this is more like Europe. Not remotely epic.

EDIT: And boy these keyboards are weak. :erk:

Manilla Road hate aside, I think you're crazy. Did you listen to any other song? Or any song after that album, for that matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to get some more Virgin Steele. I nearly called them Vanilla Steel, that would be a cool name for an epic metal covers band.