Controversial opinions on metal

I personally enjoy good lyrical content. It is not needed for me to enjoy the music though. It's just an added bonus that shows the lyricists prowess.

Sure, simplicity can work very well in some cases. I used to hate too technical metal when I was younger, but nowdays I tend to search for talented technical bands only.

Lyrics goes hand in hand with music, but a good piece of text will never beat a good riff in my book.

/thread

Music is and always will be about the passion. Looking for technical skill in what qualifies as "quality" music is shallow.

The lyrics go hand in hand with the music in making a song/album quality.

searching for "talented technical bands only" is probably the worst thing you can do. at least I know now that I shouldn't take any of your opinions seriously!

I used to have the same attitude a while back when I was a progfag. I wouldn't listen to anything unless it was technical and shiz but back then I was a pretentious prick. Not to mention that when you listen to music for it's petty individual aspects then it really takes the enjoyment out of music.

I dont look purely for technical skill, but if your going to write a good metal album, you must play/execute it flawlessly. A band needs to have the skill to properly play their craft.

Not really...a lot of good stuff is incredibly sloppy. The early Bathory and Venom stuff is just a musical disaster, and Pleasure To Kill sounds pretty unsteady to my ears. It's a question of the desired aesthetic.

I admit that some exceptions exist(mostly black metal tho), but its usually disappointing when a band has a really good idea but cant properly execute it.

I find it kinda funny how my two favorite non metal genres at the moment are hardcore punk and progressive rock.

One is at one end of the spectrum, and the other is at the other end.

I guess metal is somewhere in the middle and has been greatly influenced by both genres.

I admit that some exceptions exist(mostly black metal tho), but its usually disappointing when a band has a really good idea but cant properly execute it.

I rarely hear great music being played so poorly that it ruins it for me. In general bands that can't play their songs don't write particularly good music.

At least a little bit of musical proficiency is required to craft great music. Sure old Venom and Bathory are sloppy, but the foundation was there, and those guys could at least play their instruments well enough to get their points across.

Does anybody actually have any examples of poor musicianship hindering an album, preferably something that is not deliberately raw and stripped down? I for the life of me can't think of a single example. You only have to get it right on one take on a recording. Live, on the other hand, is another matter. For example, Euronymous butchering the solo in Freezing Moon on Live in Leipzig pisses me off, not merely because it's bad playing, but it's one of the best solos (not from a technical standpoint) in black metal.

Does anybody actually have any examples of poor musicianship hindering an album, preferably something that is not deliberately raw and stripped down?

Well the drumming on The Somberlain kind of drags the whole album down, as the drummer constantly seems to be lagging a milli-second behind the rest of the band. If you listen to the title track when they play it live at Wacken there is a hell of a difference.

Does anybody actually have any examples of poor musicianship hindering an album, preferably something that is not deliberately raw and stripped down? I for the life of me can't think of a single example. You only have to get it right on one take on a recording. Live, on the other hand, is another matter. For example, Euronymous butchering the solo in Freezing Moon on Live in Leipzig pisses me off, not merely because it's bad playing, but it's one of the best solos (not from a technical standpoint) in black metal.

Apart from a handful of otherwise good albums ruined by disastrous vocals, no, I can't think of any.

Wow, I guess I'm not as good at listening for bad musicianship as I thought, and it's to my benefit. I don't find early Venom or even Bathory's first album particularly sloppy. In fact, the only album I have a problem with is The Return, especially the last track. Way off time.

I actually think Kreators "pleasure to kill" suffers from this. The drumming is so untight that I more often than not cant see past it. Its just really bad.

I also think alot of Cannibal Corpses stuff suffer from this. Their drummer might have learned to be tight but man is he bad and boring. His drumming drags the music down alot for me. I cant think of a more unimaginative drummer in death metal.

searching for "talented technical bands only" is probably the worst thing you can do. at least I know now that I shouldn't take any of your opinions seriously!
I don't listen to technical music for the technicality itself, simply because I think it sounds good. Not all techinical bands sound good, oh hell no, but when a band combines outstanding technical playing and good songwriting it's music at it's best imo.