Controversial opinions on metal

In this case, the point in the term 'songwriting' is that technicality should only be a means to achieve the realization of your ideas. If technicality instead becomes an end in itself, you lose any chance of a song being rewarding as a whole or as a unity, and instead you are left with cheap short-term kicks.

Do you really expect a fan of Jesus-and-AIDS era Death to grasp that concept?

In this case, the point in the term 'songwriting' is that technicality should only be a means to achieve the realization of your ideas. If technicality instead becomes an end in itself, you lose any chance of a song being rewarding as a whole or as a unity, and instead you are left with cheap short-term kicks.

Ah. So you become Dream Theater?

Do you really expect a fan of Jesus-and-AIDS era Death to grasp that concept?
You can grasp my balls fuckface.

I'm a fan of good metal. What I search for is a sound that makes me feel good, that puts me in a state of mind where I can just let go of all the shit that troubles me for the moment and just kick ass.

And if I find a song like that, I listen to it, no matter what other people think of it.

The same goes for movies. A movie don't have to be "good good" to be good. A crappy b-movie can be just as enjoyable as music if done right.

We obviously have different views on music pal, so let's agree to disagree.

I'm not into the whole 'Lyrics don't matter, it's just riffs bro' attitude that's widespread in metal. I think lyrics matter. Sufficiently bad lyrics can sort of ruin an album for me. I wouldn't dislike an album simply because it had Christian themes though. It really depends upon the details of how it's presented.

don't mention cb in the same breath as anal cunt please :(

I know they sound nothing alike, but, with the exception of about 5 - 10% of Anal Cunt's "songs" they do not follow established song structures at all. Besides, I listen to AC because of the comedy and Controlled Bleeding because the harsh jarring noise is paradoxically hypnotic and emotionally moving. I guess the point is I was just making a short list of artists that don't use melody, rhythm, harmony, or even tempo when composing their music.

Plenty of Controlled Bleeding stuff does, though! I think you should check out more of their material, and also the band Skin Chamber.

I'm not into the whole 'Lyrics don't matter, it's just riffs bro' attitude that's widespread in metal. I think lyrics matter. Sufficiently bad lyrics can sort of ruin an album for me. I wouldn't dislike an album simply because it had Christian themes though. It really depends upon the details of how it's presented.

This. Also, really good lyrics can make a mediocre song enjoyable for me, although bad song is always bad and good song is good unless the lyrics are spectacularly retarded.