Controversial opinions on metal

Although I don't agree with Invade Me on drums in metal, I do consider a drummer's choice of beat endlessly more important than flashy fills. Faust on In The Nightside Eclipse is a good example of a drummer who feels the compositions and knows how to use percussion to trigger musical accents. Absu is great but their drummer needs to calm the fuck down with the drums, which are often all over the place.

Most of my favourite metal albums stand out to me for their drumming. Not necessarily technical but interesting, contributing something to the music BEYOND just keeping the beat. Sacramentum's Far Away from the Sun for example.

Thank you, well put. "Flashy fills" and such add to the music, especially when it is done without distracting the listener from the music. This song is a prime example of drums acting beyond keeping tempo.

(They start off real simple, but give it a minute, the "chorus" especially)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good drum sounds can make an album. Personally I like punishing, machine-gun sounding drums. The drums should be given just as much space as the other instruments.

When drums just melt into the background I tend to get bored. Then again, I'm a sucker for rythm.

Oh, and Hellhammer on Dimmu Borgir's The Chosen Legacy kick ass.

Saw Baroness play with Mastodon, they put on a good show.

That's where their strength lies, is in the live setting.

That's gay. :(

Look, I like Anal Cunt and Controlled Bleeding, two other acts which are also defined as being music. I would personally define all aforementioned acts as more performance art rather than music, but I understand that the widely accepted definition of a collection of sounds, whether or not they posses the traditional attributes of music (rhythm, melody, etc.) is still defined as music. BTW, so is your face. ;)

Some of you seem to be missing the point. I've never suggested that there's something wrong with technically astute drumming. I'm just saying that there's no compelling need for it in metal. If it's there without being distracting, fine, that's a nice bonus, but there's absolutely no reason any metal band NEEDS flashy drumming. Hence, I have no problem with album mixes that de-emphasize the drums.

Some of you seem to be missing the point. I've never suggested that there's something wrong with technically astute drumming. I'm just saying that there's no compelling need for it in metal. If it's there without being distracting, fine, that's a nice bonus, but there's absolutely no reason any metal band NEEDS flashy drumming. Hence, I have no problem with album mixes that de-emphasize the drums.
Jesus.

One of the things that sets metal apart from other music is the fact that it allows (an encourages) all musicians in the band to show of their skills, and refine them. I'd rather listen to a band where every member knows what he/she is doing, than listen to a band where no one knows what they're doing.

derpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderpderp

There's nothing wrong at all with what Invade Me is saying. Songwriting is paramount. Everything else is secondary.
I listen to metal because I love the sound. Not because the lyrics are somehow better than pop lyrics. If I want to want to read a good text, I can read good poetry. If I want good music, I listen to good music.

Music and lyrics go well together, but really, they are also two different things, that work perfectly fine without the other.

My philosophy in a nutshell.

But still, there is some truth in what you say. Bad lyrics can ruin good music if the volcals are louder and more clear than the instruments. Cus then you just focus on what the singer is singing.

I listen to metal because I love the sound. Not because the lyrics are somehow better than pop lyrics. If I want to want to read a good text, I can read good poetry. If I want good music, I listen to good music.

Music and lyrics go well together, but really, they are also two different things, that work perfectly fine without the other.

My philosophy in a nutshell.

But still, there is some truth in what you say. Bad lyrics can ruin good music if the volcals are louder and more clear than the instruments. Cus then you just focus on what the singer is singing.

In this case, the point in the term 'songwriting' is that technicality should only be a means to achieve the realization of your ideas. If technicality instead becomes an end in itself, you lose any chance of a song being rewarding as a whole or as a unity, and instead you are left with cheap short-term kicks.