Controversial opinions on metal

Well I am talking about black metal. I can put it like this: several other countries have produced many more quality albums than Norway has, but those Norwegian albums that are quality tend to be really sublime in my book.

edit: Oh, also, Pagan Reign were from Russia. Their last album, Tverd, is by far the most asskicking folk metal album of all time. Even if you don't like folk metal, you've gotta appreciate the riffs and the aggression and energy of this release.

The riffs on that record fuckin' slay.

Weakling, Absu and GBK are all pretty good, but hardly anything that rivals even 3rd tier bands from most european countries.

Heavy, power and doom is what US is the best at imo.

Yeah, that's the whole point.

I can name drop Wormed, Mago de Oz, and Exoto without relying on Metal-Archives. Maybe Red Wine as well; can't remember if they're Spanish or Mexican. Wormed is the only one that doesn't objectively suck, and they're hardly top-class tech-death themselves. Hence, worthless country.

If you haven't explored the Spanish metal scene, you cannot just say it's a worthless country.

^ Metal Archives lists 2.121 spanish bands. The ones I actually know are Graveyard (great DM), Dishammer (Thrash/Crust) and Avulsed (Splatter DM). These three are decent.

A hell lot of spanish bands play Traditional Heavy or Power Metal.

Are you really still arguing over which country has the best metal? You guys realize that this is fucking retarded, right?

Weakling, Absu and GBK are all pretty good, but hardly anything that rivals even 3rd tier bands from most european countries.

Are you shitting me? You're actually saying that Absu - the band that recorded Tara - doesn't even rival 3rd tier bands from most European countries? Do you seriously believe that? Only somebody with an irrational, quasi-religious love of European metal can say stuff like that. I mean, what on Earth is a 3rd tier European band in your universe?

If you haven't explored the Spanish metal scene, you cannot just say it's a worthless country.

Why? I search for music based on reputation, not location. Worthwhile bands will make themselves known on their own merit. Admittedly there are a few bands mentioned here that I've heard about in styles/eras I haven't been looking for, specifically Teitanblood and Dark Moor, but neither of them are anywhere near essential for their genre.

Why? I search for music based on reputation, not location. Worthwhile bands will make themselves known on their own merit. Admittedly there are a few bands mentioned here that I've heard about in styles/eras I haven't been looking for, specifically Teitanblood and Dark Moor, but neither of them are anywhere near essential for their genre.

Wormed are absolutely essential (if not THE best) brutal death metal band. Same goes for Teitanblood and death / black. There's no way you can even argue with that, so yeah.

I already mentioned Wormed, but I don't see how any two-years-ago-debuting band can be called absolutely essential for anything. Even if they were, I don't know of any country of equal or greater size and geographic advantage that doesn't have two albums to be called the same.

Spain has User Ne who're actually really solid folk metal, and Numen who're good folk/black from the Basque Country.

But yeah, overall Spain kind of sucks.

EDIT: Tierra Santa is solid enough heavy metal too.

Heavy, power and doom is what US is the best at imo.

England beats the US at heavy imo.

USPM is fun but some British traditional metal bands were a bit more refined lyrically and more varied stylistically (in a good way).

Also, for Spanish metal, at least if you have similar taste to me, Angeles del Infierno are the band to check out.