Controversial opinions on metal

Parts of The World Needs a Hero are solid (Disconnect comes to mind) and Risk isn't bad for what it is (hard rock album, not metal). TSHF is fucking killer and UA is bad and Endgame is alright.

I find it cool when bands overuse one word to the point of having it in two track-titles on a single album. I.E. Morbid Saint (Crying for Death, Spectrum of Death). It’s kinda retarded but it’s a sign that the band doesn’t give a fuck. And that’s alright.

I find it cool when bands overuse one word to the point of having it in two track-titles on a single album. I.E. Morbid Saint (Crying for Death, Spectrum of Death). It’s kinda retarded but it’s a sign that the band doesn’t give a fuck. And that’s alright.

If the album is good (as is the case with Morbid Saint), then who gives a shit?

thanks for this evidence in support of my theory that abigail are the most nofuckgiving band in metal

I'm going to treat this like a general metal discussion thread since I don't know where else to put this.

I was listening to Immortal's Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism, and I found myself trying to think of what other metal it sounded most like. I realized that this album is more similar to something like Morbid Angel's BATS than it is to any black metal album. I would indeed almost call it a death metal album. Think about it; the riffing is often atonal and bizarre, the drums are relatively technical and occasionally even take the foreground, and the music is full of sudden spastic rythm - and tempo changes. All these elements are death metal trademarks.

Black metal qualities on the album are mostly taken from Under the Sign.. Bathory; lots of open strumming power chords where the lower finger shifts up or down while the upper finger stays in the same position (I don't know the terminology, fuck you). Obviously, the shrieking vocals and the many acoustic interludes are also similar to Bathory.

This obviously doesn't cover the whole sound, but if I absolutely had to combine two albums I would go with 60% BATS and 40% Under the Sign.

What two albums would you combine to get the closest to this - or other - album(s)?

I think in general Immortal has a noticeable Morbid Angel influence, Blizzard Beasts especially, if I recall correctly.

Yeah that's something people often talk about, and many also call Blizzard Beasts a death metal album. Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism isn't generally talked about as anything other than a black metal album though.