Controversial opinions on metal

you are either trolling or you are just a jerk by nature. you have 8 posts and most of them are shitting on people's tastes

None of Emperor's albums are pure Black Metal tbh.

How is In the Nightside Eclipse not black metal?

IX Equillibrium is a solid album too, save for the rather crappy middle(the first three tracks and the last one are good). The sound
however is just too busy. Same with Anthems, only it's more consistent in quality.

There's a difference between not being pure Black Metal and not being Black Metal.

I can't really think of one single element in "In the Nightside Eclipse" that's not black metal, to be honest.

In the Nightside Eclipse and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk are both symphonic black metal, not traditional black metal. They're not minimalistic like Mayhem or Burzum.

So now all of a sudden Mayhem is traditional BM? What about Celtic Frost, Bathory, Venom, and Mercyful Fate? Why pick Mayhem to be the definition of BM, especially when their only true BM LP came out the same year as Emperor's ITNE? I'd say symphonic BM is quite pure...was that album the first to utilize keyboards?

So now all of a sudden Mayhem is traditional BM? What about Celtic Frost, Bathory, Venom, and Mercyful Fate? Why pick Mayhem to be the definition of BM, especially when their only true BM LP came out the same year as Emperor's ITNE? I'd say symphonic BM is quite pure...was that album the first to utilize keyboards?
Rotting Christ used keyboards before Emperor. Master's Hammer used keys as well even before Rotting Christ. But those were all light touches, and weren't really instrumental to the creation of the atmosphere. Emperor, however, went major scale with them on ITNE.

It was still much less pronounced than on later albums. Emperor's albums pre-Anthems stil 'feel' 2nd wave BM to me.

Yea, Emperor pushed the keys into the forefront on later albums.
But then, the music also became considerably more technical,
which is why people stopped calling them black metal and instead opted for the vague "extreme symphonic metal" tag.

In the Nightside Eclipse and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk are both symphonic black metal, not traditional black metal. They're not minimalistic like Mayhem or Burzum.

By that logic, only Venom can claim to be "traditional black metal". Any band that helped sementing the foundations of black metal in its most fruit-bearing years by adding to its framework in a significant way can claim that title now, I reckon.

@Omni: Well, your primary interest in metal is BM, and neither of those albums is black metal by definition, so it's not surprising why you think this way.

you are either trolling or you are just a jerk by nature. you have 8 posts and most of them are shitting on people's tastes

If you think I'm trolling, then why reply? You really don't understand how this works, do you?

@Omni: Well, your primary interest in metal is BM, and neither of those albums is black metal by definition, so it's not surprising why you think this way.

Or maybe they're mediocre prog metal albums, too. Part of being progressive involves doing new, complex and original things, something Ihsahn hasn't done in years and years.

Yea, and I like Arcturus as well. I mean, how demeaning is that, huh?
Pfft.

I was actually talking to the other guy, but you posted while I was typing. Arcturus is actually good, experimental and original, and Garm's vocals are actually good.