Controversial opinions on metal

But the production on Altars is worse, the vocals are weaker and the songs tend to run together to the point where I can't even distinguish what track I'm on.

In the Nightside Eclipse and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk are both symphonic black metal, not traditional black metal. They're not minimalistic like Mayhem or Burzum.
I certainly wouldn't call Anthems symphonic. Probably not ITNE either.
Maybe proto-symphonic, but then it becomes ridiculous.

Yea, Emperor pushed the keys into the forefront on later albums.
But then, the music also became considerably more technical,
which is why people stopped calling them black metal and instead opted for the vague "extreme symphonic metal" tag.
If you listen to Prometheus, I don't think you could really call it black metal. The riffing style is pretty crazy. It's probably more than 50% BM, but definitely not true black metal.

Try again.
Mathiäs;7282137 said:
Prometheus is indeed really good. It's way better than Equilibrium
Yep.

I think production plays a major role, because the instrumentation and fundamental styles are very similar. A lot of symphonic Black Metal places the drums in the background, and focuses on the atmosphere/symphonics. There are some exceptions, like Nokturnal Mortum's To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire, which brings the guitars and drums more to the forefront to create a more extreme sound.
Definitely.

I haven't listened to Nokturnal Mortum, so I'll submit to your opinion on this. I'll have to give them a listen sometime. You bring up a good point though; the production is very different between these styles.

Nokturnal Mortum are easily one of the best symphonic bm bands in the genre. Ace! :kickass: