Controversial opinions on metal

Yea, ok. It's just that your comment about carnival music beckoned to mind their La Masquerade Infernale album and I assumed you were averse to them as well.

Anyone who knows my taste in music (one whole person who posts in this forum though I doubt he'll see this) would know that I don't listen exclusively to black metal, and I'd wager to say that I like more kinds of music than 95% of the people who post here.

In The Nightside Eclipse is not at all what I would call 'symphonic' Black Metal in the lay sense as would apply to Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk. I've never seen ITNE as anything but purely Black Metal.

By that logic, only Venom can claim to be "traditional black metal". Any band that helped sementing the foundations of black metal in its most fruit-bearing years by adding to its framework in a significant way can claim that title now, I reckon.

No; I'd say that Venom, Celtic Frost, early Bathory, Burzum, and Mayhem qualify as strictly pure, minimalistic, traditional "black metal." I'm speaking of their earliest releases.

It's not 'raw" Black Metal. And some people claim symphonic Black Metal not to be "pure" BM.

Agreed, symphonic black metal does not align at all with the "minimalistic" tenets of traditional black metal. And more often than not, in symphonic black metal, the amount of blast beats is much less.

In The Nightside Eclipse is not at all what I would call 'symphonic' Black Metal in the lay sense as would apply to Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk. I've never seen ITNE as anything but purely Black Metal.

Definitely not as a whole. There are some very traditional "black metal" moments on that album. However, there also are some very symphonic-influenced songs that shy away from the minimalistic qualities of Mayhem and Burzum. Emperor definitely are not "black metal" in the traditional, pure sense of the term (in my opinion).

And that's also why I prefer Emperor over Burzum and Mayhem any day, personally. :cool:

I've listened to Legacy of Evil. It definitely has its fair share of blast beats. But it's also not as symphonic as their other releases ( as you've said), and still; it has less blast beats than what is considered traditional black metal.

I'm just speaking from personal opinion; but from what I've witnessed, symphonic black metal exhibits less extreme qualities than traditional black metal.

But I still see what you're saying. Without a doubt, the blast beats are still present.

Yes, I definitely see what you mean. I'm only saying that they're less apparent in symphonic black metal. Symphonic black metal tends to shy away from the more extreme elements, in as far as I have witnessed.

I think production plays a major role, because the instrumentation and fundamental styles are very similar. A lot of symphonic Black Metal places the drums in the background, and focuses on the atmosphere/symphonics. There are some exceptions, like Nokturnal Mortum's To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire, which brings the guitars and drums more to the forefront to create a more extreme sound.

I haven't listened to Nokturnal Mortum, so I'll submit to your opinion on this. I'll have to give them a listen sometime. You bring up a good point though; the production is very different between these styles.

Just remember how varied the genre is, especially in terms of production. You have both raw bands and symphonic bands who use the whole range of productions from lo-fi atmospheric to in-your-face digital perfection.

And you should pick up that Nokturnal Mortum, especially if you go nuts for Anthems.

Just remember how varied the genre is, especially in terms of production. You have both raw bands and symphonic bands who use the whole range of productions from lo-fi atmospheric to in-your-face digital perfection.

And you should pick up that Nokturnal Mortum, especially if you go nuts for Anthems.

yes that NM album has a very similar style/production to Anthems. its awesome... moonlight path is one of their best tracks