Controversial opinions on metal

That's the kind of production sound I prefer. It's raw yet clear. Over-polished shit like most of Nile's discography is annoying, especially the drum sound. As for production that is too raw to be enjoyable, look to damn near every death and black metal demo from the 90's, like this one for example:

Last edited by a moderator:
Because it obviously is? I hope your just joking.

I do not listen to a lot of new bands/albums. So a lot of stuff I listen to sounds fine to me. I have really nothing to compare it to. I really do not care much for the way most modern metal music, especially extreme metal music sounds.

How is it obviously bad? Explain yourself. Don't just make baseless claims.
For starters, it sounds like hes playing through a 100$~ distortion pedal (most likely a boss pedal), the production ISN'T clear, sounds buzzy and to much bass + most likely scooped mids. Purgatory afterglow for example sounds x1000 better than every EOS album before it, even though it still doesn't compare to modern production.

Why do you use my post to hate on? I was replying to the guy that said calling the album prog death was "lolworthy" when I have never heard anyone call it that.

I wasn't hating on you specifically. Actually, the guy that said it to begin with is more at fault. I apologize for coming off like that haha.

My point is simply that genre discussion is very noobish and unnecessary.

I wasn't hating on you specifically. Actually, the guy that said it to begin with is more at fault. I apologize for coming off like that haha.

My point is simply that genre discussion is very noobish and unnecessary.
It can be necessary though, when people aren't familiar with metal and its genres when I tell people I listen to metal they assume i'm talking about ACDC or bands that aren't even close to metal and sometimes think all metal sounds like bring me the horizon and sub genres help them understand that not every metal genre is alike, like 2 bands that are considered metal, Dream Theater and Dying Fetus have almost no similarities at all (the only similarity I can think of is both bands lead guitarist utilize sweeping in their solo techniques.

It can be necessary though, when people aren't familiar with metal and its genres when I tell people I listen to metal they assume i'm talking about ACDC or bands that aren't even close to metal and sometimes think all metal sounds like bring me the horizon and sub genres help them understand that not every metal genre is alike, like 2 bands that are considered metal, Dream Theater and Dying Fetus have almost no similarities at all (the only similarity I can think of is both bands lead guitarist utilize sweeping in their solo techniques.

True. When I tell people I listen to metal, I mainly tell them they've most likely have never heard of bands I like because they're underground (even though to the most of us, many aren't all that underground....they're well known in the metal community, just not the general public). So it isn't much use to name off bands I like unless I'm talking to another metalhead. Even though a band like Dying Fetus has been around since the early 90's, I don't expect a non-metalhead to know who the fuck that is.

IIRC Mort Divine considers Blind Guardian's A Night at the Opera to have shit production. Not that that song from Unorthodox sounds bad production-wise to me, but...

Congratulations you now know what melodic death metal is.

At least In Flames and others in that vein of melodic death wrote entire songs around said melodies. In Edge of Sanity's case a lot of the riffs are more proper Swedish death metal with sudden Maiden-style melodies in the chorus. Not to dispute that they're melodic death metal, but that song definitely doesn't typify it.